RL10X=speed,speed, and more speed!

goodgrouper

I picked up a can of this stuff when it was first released about 2 years ago to try in my .223 with 40 gr. Vmax. The max load listed in the scarce loading data said 25.2 grains. I loaded up to that charge with no luck. In fact, it was the least accurate powder of 6 that I tried. So, I put it on the shelf for a few months. Then one day last year, I loaded some more up and went from 25.5 grains to 27.5 and HOLY CRAP! The groups shrank with every increase of powder until I got to 27.5 which produced 3/8" groups and average velocities of 4015 fps!! That is 200 fps more than N133 or Benchmark gave me with the same charge!
This stuff is awesome for light bullets in varmint calibers. I can't wait to try it in my 6 BR.
If you haven't tried it yet, give it a whirl. I think you will like it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FYI--RL 10X was changed somewhere in the mix--your original bottle probably isnt quite the same as the new stuff.

might call hodgedon for details.

FWIW,
JB

I dont know that the burn rate changed much, but i think it is CLEANER burning now??

calling them now...
got voice mail, waiting for a call back!

JB

call back...

Burn rate is unchanged, but more "decoppering agent" was added because of complaints from some point-blank BR folks.

so no worries, your load data should be ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheers,
JB

HUH ??????

Given safe working limits, I would expect a .223 to get about 3,800 ft/sec with a 40gr bullet. You are getting velocities that are more consistent with what you can achieve with the 22-250.

I would recommend a little caution here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good shootin' - VH

Re:RL10X=speed speed and more speed!

Thanks VH, I approached this load cautiously and there was and is no pressure signs. My rifle is a CZ 527 Varmint with a 24" barrel, and it really screams! There is no heavy bolt lift and my cases still have tight primer pockets after about 14 loadings. My load is 27.5 RL10X in a winchester match prepped case with a WSR primer and a 40 grain bare Vmax. All speeds chronoed by Oeheler 35 on a 4' spacing 10' from the muzzle.
I love that RL10X!

Just don't forget that you'll need to start from scratch with your next batch of powder, so you don't get something too hot to handle.

Goodgrouper, I hope I'm not too late for you to read this; but I too love 10X ! I got fantastic groups and speed in my 20TAC(driver) using 39gr. pills. By that, I mean 3892fps and groups consistently in the 3s. Out of an AR 15 ! gun)One problem I found though that you should and may be aware of; it is very temp. sensitive. :rolleyes:That's the only complaint I have and is easily overcome. I could put 25.1 gr. in it at 50 degrees; but had to drop to 24.1 at 70 degrees. As for my 223AI; I want to shoot 55gr. pills in my 14 twist barrel and I WILL try 10X ! My upper builder used to get 3650 fps with an Accurate powder. They changed it and now it only goes about 3400. Bummer. And it was danged accurate too ! His go to powder in the 20 TAC (driver) is 2460; it meters great and the same volume of it is equal to my 24.1 gr. of 10X with the same velocity and accuracy. You can bet if I try 10X, I'm going to try 2460 ! One other caveat; someone said 10X reformulated. It's true; the newer cans show the word"new" on them. All I found was it burns a whole lot cleaner. Good luck on your quest and I hope this is informative and not too late.

Huh???

Load data is indeed scarce. For those situations I use QuickLoad - been using it a lot for 3+ years now. I use it to get in the ballpark, then back off 2 grains and work up.

Easy does it.

I think 27.5g is a pretty hot load - it is also a compressed load of close to 110% - I'd think you have to use a drop tube to get it in there. The QuickLoad model predicts about 4,000 fps out of a 24" barrel with a 27.5g load of RL10X which isn't that far off what you are measuring.

I'd estimate that load at between 7,500 and 10,000 psi over the SAAMI max (55,000 psi) for the brass based on a QuickLoad model optimized for my CZ527 American sporter (30.49 water grain case capacity - 2.272" COL). It may or may not show pressure signs. Bolt lift and primer pockets sometimes don't show up until one is way way over.

If you are at 65,000 psi @ 70F as I estimate, you are about 5,000 psi short of where you will get brass flow and rapid primer pocket expansion. Be advised on a hot day, say 110F, your pressure could easily exceed 70,000 psi.

At 25.5g I was getting around 3700 fps with RL10X. It didn't group well so I stopped experimenting with it.

There is no magic. Velocities of 200 to 300 fps over max loads with other good powders optimized for the bullet are only possible with excessive pressure.

As Ken Ohler once wrote, "any reloader can get velocities faster than factory ammo if they don't measure pressure."

YMMV.

Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.