Magneto speed

Really, the Magnetospeed is being carried in the field with the military. They could not possibly carry an Ohler in their pack. And they do need to have the ability to confirm velocities when the environment and or ammo changes. As good as the Ohler is, the optical chronographs have light issues and are much more difficult to set up. Not even close to Magnetospeed and Lab Radar.
I didn't know they were carrying these in the field. But I know in R&D and testing facilities I believe the military and FBI were both using Oehler's

With all the issues with the Magneto Speed and LabRadar I am not sure why the Oehler Research chronographs aren't at the top of the heap. They are the original, very accurate and never have a problem with harmonics or picking up a bullet. I've been using mine since 1982 and have piles of notebooks filled with reloading data and all loads are chrono'd with ES, SD's and Velocities plus group size, which are necessary for proper load development. I wouldn't consider strapping something to my barrel during load development thats going to affect harmonics/groups. If they are good enough for the military/US Gov agencies they are good enough for me.
I used an Oehler for years. While it was the best of the traditional, optical chronographs, it was still a chore to set up and often effected by the usual lighting issues. I really haven't experienced the claimed issues with my Lab Radar or Magnetospeed units, and I have not used by Oehler since they were acquired.

I would be fine with using an Oehler, a buddy of mine has one that I've used. For me it is a value decision: a new kit is about $600 right now. There seem to be many better options for that kind of coin.