Magneto speed

a_savage02

So Iv been doing some thinking and some reading. Iv been told that using a barrel mounter magnetospeed can throw off your barrels harmonics when hand loading and doing load development. So Iv seen a lot of people make things to free float the magneto speed or there is one company that makes a mount for the magnetospeed v3 but I have the sporter. So I just curious and wanted some insight. Has anyone tested this theory.
Like has anyone with a magnetospeed and a lab radar or other types of chronographs Tested the difference between the two. I would be curious to see results between an accurate load with good ES and SD with a lab radar. And then strap on a magnetospeed and see if accuracy changes(not point of impact) but actually group sizes get bigger or smaller. And if there is a change in ES and SD. If anyone has an info on this let me know. I'm only curious because I want to know if I need to invest in a lab radar eventually or something similar.

Like you, I read about the MS affecting harmonics. I bought the labradar and never looked back. Like the saying goes, buy once, cry once. If you get the LR, get an external/inertial trigger also. Good investment

I own both the LR and MS. When run together, the velocities recorded from each are are typically within a few FPS of each other with frequent identical readings. Shooting with the MS attached to the barrel surely effects group size, even with my heavier weight Palma barrels. My buddy has one of the adapters for his MS that attaches to the hand-guard on his AR that does solve this problem. My LR ad MS were both purchased back when they were first introduced. Both continue to operate flawlessly….Both are good products, but if you do a lot of testing, the LR would be my choice.

Nothing wrong with Magneto Speed Sporter. I have both Sporter and V3. Purchased the updated Wiser Precision mount to get it off my barrels. You will need bipod pic rail though.

I have always had a POI shift with Magneeto Speed. Sometimes groups are tight, sometimes very loose. I Use the Magneeto for shooting one round/1 gr increments up to find pressure. Also use when I have found a very good shooting load for ES/SD and velocity. Works well for that. Would work well if heading off into a hunt to have in the bag for testing once arrived.

I am currently on my second Magneeto Speed. First one took and dump and now the second one is giving me error codes. Contacted CS and they asked how long I have had it. If under two years, I guess they warranty them. Trying to decide if I want to take leap and get the LR or just get another Magneeto Speed.

I own both the LR and MS. When run together, the velocities recorded from each are are typically within a few FPS of each other with frequent identical readings. Shooting with the MS attached to the barrel surely effects group size, even with my heavier weight Palma barrels. My buddy has one of the adapters for his MS that attaches to the hand-guard on his AR that does solve this problem. My LR ad MS were both purchased back when they were first introduced. Both continue to operate flawlessly….Both are good products, but if you do a lot of testing, the LR would be my choice.
Do you get any different ES and SD with the MS mounted on the barrel VS when you have it off? I don't really care about group size when it's mounted more of is it going to mess up the node you are in when finding seating depth nodes and velocity nodes.

Do you get any different ES and SD with the MS mounted on the barrel VS when you have it off? I don't really care about group size when it's mounted more of is it going to mess up the node you are in when finding seating depth nodes and velocity nodes.
I have not run my MS off the barrel since I also own the Lab Radar which I use for the bulk of my work. When my buddy runs his off the barrel he has no issues with SD/ES consistency.

I got the MS, wish I had the LR. The MS on the barrel definitely alters POI and group size. The LR would save time and components, but I use my buddy's when I can. I couldn't justify the price delta when I first started reloading. Lesson learned...

I got the MS, wish I had the LR. The MS on the barrel definitely alters POI and group size. The LR would save time and components, but I use my buddy's when I can. I couldn't justify the price delta when I first started reloading. Lesson learned...
Yeah i know the MS messes with POI and group size I was just curious if it messed with SD and ES.

In my opinion the Magnetospeed is the most user-friendly. It is more easily taken with you where ever you go to confirm velocity in the operating environment (very important). And if you want to use it while shooting groups, get or make an off barrel mount. I did and I probably shooting 90 percent of my rounds over it to gather data.

I have mentioned this on several threads previously about LR and MS. These are both devices to measure speed of a projectile. I have both and they show the identical or same speed within a couple fps. These are not devices to measure accuracy. After identifying speed nodes, you no longer need to use these devices until you get to the last step of load development to verify everything is working with your reloading process.

I see from these postings that some try to measure speed and accuracy at the same time. Not judging your process, but If you are going to do load development that way, it is best to spend the extra and get a LabRadar. Otherwise, you will always be second guessing yourself on whether the MagnetoSpeed caused a loss of accuracy.

YMMV but here is how I do it:

1) Find the speed node using LR/MS that gives the highest velocity without showing pressure signs.
2) Fine tune the powder charge within the speed node to give the best accuracy.
3) Vary bullet seating depth to see if accuracy can be further improved.
4) Optional - retest for speed to verify the final parameters for the particular primer, brass, neck tension, powder and bullet.
5) If you are not happy with the load, only vary one item and run the complete test again. Unless there is something wrong with your rifle our benchrest team has usually found an acceptable load that is within 1/2 MOA at 100 yards by shooting 20 rounds or less unless the powder/bullet combination is completely wrong for that caliber and rifle. However, the fun is always trying to improve and find that single combination that will shoot a clover leaf consistently.

Unfortunately the LR is not fool proof either, having spoken to several owners it can be unresponsive to some rifles, when you consider the price it's very disappointing.I own a MS and if you us the large MB adaptor it's tragic as regards to harmonics.Using the strap it's a lot less but it still affects the harmonics somewhat.I think the best way to use the MS is to get the velocity reading you want and then remove it to get the true accuracy.I have 10 full bore rifles and have found that it is more sensitive with some more than others,there seems to be no rule of thumb as the harmonics affect regardless of calibre.