Magneto speed

So Iv been doing some thinking and some reading. Iv been told that using a barrel mounter magnetospeed can throw off your barrels harmonics when hand loading and doing load development. So Iv seen a lot of people make things to free float the magneto speed or there is one company that makes a mount for the magnetospeed v3 but I have the sporter. So I just curious and wanted some insight. Has anyone tested this theory.
Like has anyone with a magnetospeed and a lab radar or other types of chronographs Tested the difference between the two. I would be curious to see results between an accurate load with good ES and SD with a lab radar. And then strap on a magnetospeed and see if accuracy changes(not point of impact) but actually group sizes get bigger or smaller. And if there is a change in ES and SD. If anyone has an info on this let me know. I'm only curious because I want to know if I need to invest in a lab radar eventually or something similar.
MagnetoSpeeds are MacGwyer's wet dream......

So Iv been doing some thinking and some reading. Iv been told that using a barrel mounter magnetospeed can throw off your barrels harmonics when hand loading and doing load development. So Iv seen a lot of people make things to free float the magneto speed or there is one company that makes a mount for the magnetospeed v3 but I have the sporter. So I just curious and wanted some insight. Has anyone tested this theory.
Like has anyone with a magnetospeed and a lab radar or other types of chronographs Tested the difference between the two. I would be curious to see results between an accurate load with good ES and SD with a lab radar. And then strap on a magnetospeed and see if accuracy changes(not point of impact) but actually group sizes get bigger or smaller. And if there is a change in ES and SD. If anyone has an info on this let me know. I'm only curious because I want to know if I need to invest in a lab radar eventually or something similar.
I've used the Magnetospeed for a couple years now and only use it for load development and when I shoot fouler rounds.. In most rifles the POI is usually off by 2" to 3"'s while groups are usually identical with or without. The one thing I really like about it is the fact that it picks up every shot. I probably 500 or so rounds shot over it I've only had one error code.

Doing load development? MS would be OK. Shooting for groups? Never. I would never put anything on a barrel that is not solidly mounted, such as a suppressor or brake. When I do load development I'm also looking at the groups. No sense wasting ammo.

Yes it definitely changes your accuracy. I chased probably 50 rds through my 28 Nosler, took the magneto off and now can cover up 2 shot groups at 325yds with a quarter!!

I built a plate to mount the magnito on my tripod and it works great. I have attached pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 77
Anything on your barrel effects it but the only times I'm interested in MV is my first step of a pressure ladder and the last step of validating ballistics.

Question for Magnetospeed Sporter: I have had mixed results with this chrono. Most recently I have used it on a new gun while zeroing and getting ballistic data. Some thing wasn't adding up with a MV of 2692 for Fed 168 308. I then trued and based on the ballistic drop the MV is actually closer to 2600 which makes more sense for that load and a 20" barrel.
Has anyone had this problem, and what might be the solution? My guess is I'm not using the Magneto-speed properly as the reviews are glowing.

Question for Magnetospeed Sporter: I have had mixed results with this chrono. Most recently I have used it on a new gun while zeroing and getting ballistic data. Some thing wasn't adding up with a MV of 2692 for Fed 168 308. I then trued and based on the ballistic drop the MV is actually closer to 2600 which makes more sense for that load and a 20" barrel.
Has anyone had this problem, and what might be the solution? My guess is I'm not using the Magneto-speed properly as the reviews are glowing.
Couple of things to consider causing to the discrepancy. Scope height is one that's usually minimal and can be calculated. BC is another as a bullet is perfect until is ran through a barrel and they're all different. Nothing wrong with (if you have access to) comparing them at the same time with LR or another chrono.

The Magnetospeed was designed to be carried in the field (or sand box) in a small packable pouch so the shooter can verify velocities in differing environments, with different ammo.
Pretty hard to do that with other chronographs.
It provides very accurate velocities and works amazingly well as has been stated by many in this thread and elsewhere. As was also stated above, you don't need to check the velocity of every round you shoot. And, it does mess with barrel harmonics when mounted on the barrel. If solidly mounted off the barrel it will not effect POI, and allows you to check every round if you want.

Lab Radar looked good to me too, it can give you a lot of data, but it has many more problem issues than Magnetospeed. And considering the higher cost, not to mention the extra items they don't provide, I have not and will not purchased one.
Problems include: too much muzzle blast blowing it around, or not enough muzzle blast to trigger it.
Accurately aiming the unit in the correctdirection.
Indoor / outdoor structures or items causing signal reflection.
High battery consumption.
Etc.

Magnetospeed problems are mounting it on the barrel with a nylon strap!

I made a mount that fixed that issue, fits most rifles, and is still capable of fitting in a small pack.

Seems simple to me.

To add to the mix:
I ran a V3 (barrel mounted) with the LR for 8 months. the V3 gave me 99% readings, the LR 80%. Total average variance was 4fps (LR faster).
Before and after that test, the barrel mounted V3 does show a POI shift, but had no variance in group size when the load was tuned to the situation.
Because of this, I developed an "off barrel" mount for the V3, and never looked back.
I run either the V3 or LR every shot (depending on rifle), unless I am shooting a match, for the data. I was getting ready to sell the LR and found a remote trigger unit. This is a game changer. I now get 95%+/- readings on the LR.

All this said, both units are great resources for gathering data if used properly. The V3 is easy to set up on any compatible firearm, including pistols (with mounting bracket). The LR is harder to set up, especially when changing distances and firearms, and does not like 22LR..

NOTE: The V3 eats about 3-9volt batteries/year (don't let the volts get much below 7). Get a battery pack and remote trigger for the LR .
My $0.02..

With all the issues with the Magneto Speed and LabRadar I am not sure why the Oehler Research chronographs aren't at the top of the heap. They are the original, very accurate and never have a problem with harmonics or picking up a bullet. I've been using mine since 1982 and have piles of notebooks filled with reloading data and all loads are chrono'd with ES, SD's and Velocities plus group size, which are necessary for proper load development. I wouldn't consider strapping something to my barrel during load development thats going to affect harmonics/groups. If they are good enough for the military/US Gov agencies they are good enough for me.

With all the issues with the Magneto Speed and LabRadar I am not sure why the Oehler Research chronographs aren't at the top of the heap. They are the original, very accurate and never have a problem with harmonics or picking up a bullet. I've been using mine since 1982 and have piles of notebooks filled with reloading data and all loads are chrono'd with ES, SD's and Velocities plus group size, which are necessary for proper load development. I wouldn't consider strapping something to my barrel during load development thats going to affect harmonics/groups. If they are good enough for the military/US Gov agencies they are good enough for me.
Setting it up, especially at a public range.

Really, the Magnetospeed is being carried in the field with the military. They could not possibly carry an Ohler in their pack. And they do need to have the ability to confirm velocities when the environment and or ammo changes. As good as the Ohler is, the optical chronographs have light issues and are much more difficult to set up. Not even close to Magnetospeed and Lab Radar.

Setting it up, especially at a public range.
I guess that could be a factor at a public range. I have my sky screens mounted to a bar permanently and just drop it on tripods. Connect the wires and go. I guess since I've been doing it so long I can usually eye ball it corrrectly within one or two tries. I'm usually setup in under 5 minutes. I do use a private range so I could see where it may put a pause on the firing line if someone is setting an Oehler up in front of the firing line.