Deer Accuracy

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
Other end of the county from where I am . I had a doe in heat running around my yard , acting up, last week. She had s little spikes attention , but other than her fawns and a couple more does, thsts all I saw around her. Really surprised me to see her ready right now.

Well some more good news. My coworkers 06 I assisted in setting up? Well this is his wife's 6.5G I sold her. Got that shooting half MOA at 100 yards. Got her banging steel out to 200. This is the result with practice. 150 yard shot.

F57AAEB3-AE9F-4377-BCA3-7EFF37837DDA.jpeg

I think its the ammo - we have had nightmare groups with superformance...some worse than others - a rifle that shoots sub moa with federal premium was shooting 8-10" groups with superformance. Have him buy some federal premium or hornady precision hunter and see what it does. I bet you get that gun to sub moa....

I tried Superformance in my Ruger 30-06 and it gave me nightmares. It was a new-used rifle for me and I thought the barrel was shot out until I tried some Hodgdons 4831, the groups made me smile after changing to another powder.

Well some more good news. My coworkers 06 I assisted in setting up? Well this is his wife's 6.5G I sold her. Got that shooting half MOA at 100 yards. Got her banging steel out to 200. This is the result with practice. 150 yard shot.

View attachment 157179
Your coworker and family is having a pretty good year ! That little grendel will get the job done , at least on our little doggy deer, here in the GA.
Question.......wheres yours ? As for mine, he is still running around out there somewhere, I recon.

ALWAYS try to get closer to game if at all possible...common sense.
Horse schmidt!

And on a positive note:
Good on you 300whisper! Always feels good helping someone be successful. Got three pictures of bucks today (opening day rifle season) from guys I helped set their stuff up and took shooting, one of them got his first elk a couple weeks back. Not fun though when I was traveling home from a short TDY and then had to write an OPORD. Missed out on elk season too...3 more years!

Not fun though when I was traveling home from a short TDY and then had to write an OPORD. Missed out on elk season too...3 more years!

Aren't you an NCO? Did some officer "delegate" OPORDS to you? We had an E6 on brigade who was our CUOPs NCO so he cut the daily FRAGORD. Everyone would complain about how crappy the orders were. Then you go up to staff to talk with BDE S3 and you see this poor Bas ard cranking out, literally, 20 opords a day, and you're like awwww that makes sense now. What a stressful job. I felt bad for that guy, and I'm a CPT. Lol

Your coworker and family is having a pretty good year ! That little grendel will get the job done , at least on our little doggy deer, here in the GA.
Question.......wheres yours ? As for mine, he is still running around out there somewhere, I recon.

It's coming. I've been out two days this season and saw 10 deer. I busted a coyote yesterday. It's in the coyote sub forum here. I saw two big bucks, but my buddy does trophy management and I didn't think they were big enough. He won't let me shoot does until after the rut. I saw a lot of 150+ pound does running around. Some still had fawns (I guess yearlings now) so I won't shoot them unless the babies leave. My buddy has already killed two big bucks. Two really nice 8 points. I was with him both times.

31E8A041-736A-43F7-A646-21F04AA65016.jpeg
47327633-95CD-4DA6-A719-444C182B2453.jpeg
FBB019C6-8928-4A93-8AB3-E55A939CF7CC.jpeg

956BCFD4-E5BB-4004-95CC-967116A7610A.jpeg

@5.56×250 all the bucks I posted in this thread are all Monroe county bucks, BTW. An absolute monster was killed in high falls this weekend as well. Saw him at the deer cooler in boilingbroke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't you an NCO? Did some officer "delegate" OPORDS to you? We had an E6 on brigade who was our CUOPs NCO so he cut the daily FRAGORD. Everyone would complain about how crappy the orders were. Then you go up to staff to talk with BDE S3 and you see this poor Bas ard cranking out, literally, 20 opords a day, and you're like awwww that makes sense now. What a stressful job. I felt bad for that guy, and I'm a CPT. Lol
This schoolhouse is part of a TDA, not the normal rank structure. The first officer in my chain is a BN Commander.
Looks like you guys are having a good year.

View attachment 157283

@5.56×250 all the bucks I posted in this thread are all Monroe county bucks, BTW. An absolute monster was killed in high falls this weekend as well. Saw him at the deer cooler in boilingbroke.
Its definitely that time. I use to be obsessive on hunting mature bucks with a bow. As far as I know I still have the biggest archery buck off Rum Creek WMA. The 9th to 16th of Nov is the time frame all my quality archery bucks were taken . Now because of a lot of back and neck degeneration, I just firearm hunt. Mostly right here at my house . I have a sweet setup though. My house is 1/4 mile deep from the road and I can sit at an open window from the second story if my back is too bad on any particular day to hike to a stand. I'm covered up with deer ! Just the other day , my daughter and I sat at an open window and watched a parade of does and yearlings walking through and brousing in my side yard. We saw 8 before shooting light faded, and could hear more inside the wood line.
It's almost the opposite style of hunting from my archery big buck chasing days, but it's the best I can do at this point. I dont shoot does anymore, so I have plenty of " buck bait " running around out here. Just need the right doe to bring the right buck by .
Good luck at your buddies place. Looks like a honey hole !

I hunted Valdosta back in '84 and the deer were almost all Northern whitetail that had been brought in decades earlier. Big honking deer! I was "all set" with my Mod 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag, handloaded Nosler 150PT (under 3/4" easy) 2.5x8 Leupold, and popped a medium sized "yearling" ( about 140 pounds!) right at 15yds! Walked right by my treestand. I could have used my pistol, ha. since you guys are in the Military 300, would think most of you would use ARs? Glad you got to help them out! Federal Blue Box is the one I grab first, even for barrel break in, :) In 30-06, 150gr.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.