Canned Deer

Nimrodmar10

I love to watch the outdoor channels on TV, but I'm getting aggravated by what I'm seeing lately. It seems like 2 out of 3 of the deer hunting shows on the networks are just showing the host traveling to some shooting ranch in Texas or some other state to hunt. They just go sit in one of the pre-positioned blind boxes inside a fenced area and shoot a big buck when he comes to the corn. Their buck has usually been pre-selected and they just shoot it when it walks out.
I'm sorry, but that's just not deer hunting

I love to watch the outdoor channels on TV, but I'm getting aggravated by what I'm seeing lately. It seems like 2 out of 3 of the deer hunting shows on the networks are just showing the host traveling to some shooting ranch in Texas or some other state to hunt. They just go sit in one of the pre-positioned blind boxes inside a fenced area and shoot a big buck when he comes to the corn. Their buck has usually been pre-selected and they just shoot it when it walks out.
I'm sorry, but that's just not deer hunting
This is why I haven't watched a hunting show in probably 5 years.
Youngsters will watch them and once they hit the woods they will be very frustrated because it's been a hour and they haven't killed a 170" buck yet!
By the way that's a nice avatar! 👍

Even the ones not over bait/high fenced are still often private land expensive hunts that are nothing like what the average guy experiences when hunting. I get it, if you have a tv show, the most efficient way to have your show be exciting and have big bucks killed would be to go to an exclusive private hunt. For you or I it might seem like a lot, but from a business perspective paying $15-20k to kill a 200" mule deer probably makes sense financially. You're going to get a lot more viewers and spend less time than hunting public land for weeks to kill a 150 buck.

I have hunted few free range hunts that are probably just as easy, if not easier, than canned hunts. Definitely takes the fun out of it when you can just walk to within 100 yards of a mule deer and shoot it. Some people just have it wayyyy too easy. The place I went last year, the owner drives around the property every night so the deer get used to seeing the truck. We could just drive right up to the mule deer to get a look at them. I like a challenge not these hunts

Last edited:

Recent Posts