Can you eat CWD deer

Sorry to ask another question, but do most states offer testing for CWD?? . After you get you deer, is there a location that should be listed in the game law compendium?? This seems too important to allow anyone to be careless.

I had a fellow hunter succumb to CJD about 3 years ago-- not a pretty departure!. He had found a nice buck in the spring during the melt off.that the Coyotes.wouldn't touch. He was warned to leave it alone but he cut the.head.off for the rack. Four months later.he was.dead, doctors were perplexed as to how he acquired it, guys who knew him not so much.
In.recent years I've seen more trail cam pics of sick deer and I'm prone to blaming.pesticide exposure for weakening their immune systems and making them susceptible to becoming sick.
Then give it to your coyotes.
See above

I had a fellow hunter succumb to CJD about 3 years ago-- not a pretty departure!. He had found a nice buck in the spring during the melt off.that the Coyotes.wouldn't touch. He was warned to leave it alone but he cut the.head.off for the rack. Four months later.he was.dead, doctors were perplexed as to how he acquired it, guys who knew him not so much.
In.recent years I've seen more trail cam pics of sick deer and I'm prone to blaming.pesticide exposure for weakening their immune systems and making them susceptible to becoming sick.

See above
Maybe it had been dead for awhile and stunk so bad the coyotes wouldn't touch it. I'm sure coyotes would eat any deer that recently died and wasn't rotten. They eat the heck out of road kill here.

See above
Sorry to hear about your friend. Not fun. I am, however, pretty sure the proteins that cause these are different and it's highly unlikely the deer would have carried CJD. That of course is of no help to your friend, but it seems like a weird coincidence. Most of my work is design and construction management in VA hospitals, and the workflow in sterile processing departments for endoscopes is interesting.

See above
He didn't eat any of the meat correct?

Sorry to hear about your friend. Not fun. I am, however, pretty sure the proteins that cause these are different and it's highly unlikely the deer would have carried CJD. That of course is of no help to your friend, but it seems like a weird coincidence. Most of my work is design and construction management in VA hospitals, and the workflow in sterile processing departments for endoscopes is interesting.
Thanks --- he was about my age ( not young) and likely immunocompromised. I defer to your experience, we had assumed he contracted it from that deer.

Maybe it had been dead for awhile and stunk so bad the coyotes wouldn't touch it. I'm sure coyotes would eat any deer that recently died and wasn't rotten. They eat the heck out of road kill here.
The Coyote population is pretty healthy here and they have incredible sense of smell so I'm thinking they knew of it before it rotted. You may however be right.

All I can say is my state offers free testing in partnership with a few college programs as I understand. We can expect roughly 2 weeks after turning in a scull b4 a response.

Personally if I have any remotely plausable reason to suspect CWD concern, Ill have the deer tested & then finish processing the meat. That is Ill bone out the deer freeze the meat & grind for burger & such after getting results back. This only came up once for me thus far & yes it was a bit of a pain last fall. Fortunately test came back negative.

I have heard just enough on cases of hunters coming down with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease that I feel the precaution is well worth the effort no matter what inconclusive science is saying at present.

All I can say is my state offers free testing in partnership with a few college programs as I understand. We can expect roughly 2 weeks after turning in a scull b4 a response.

Personally if I have any remotely plausable reason to suspect CWD concern, Ill have the deer tested & then finish processing the meat. That is Ill bone out the deer freeze the meat & grind for burger & such after getting results back. This only came up once for me thus far & yes it was a bit of a pain last fall. Fortunately test came back negative.

I have heard just enough on cases of hunters coming down with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease that I feel the precaution is well worth the effort no matter what inconclusive science is saying at present.

This is from the Mayo Clinic - There is no mention of CWD or transmission of this prion from any animals.

[IMG alt="Illustrations comparing a normal prion with a diseased prion
"]https://www.mayoclinic.org/-/media/...0/36/ds00531_im02291r7_prionthu_jpg.jpg[/IMG]

Causes
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and its variants belong to a broad group of human and animal diseases known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs). The name derives from the spongy holes, visible under a microscope, that develop in affected brain tissue.

The cause of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and other TSEs appears to be abnormal versions of a kind of protein called a prion. Normally these proteins are produced in our bodies and are harmless. But when they're misshapen, they become infectious and can harm normal biological processes.