Can you eat CWD deer

So the answer is The deer must be inspected and if infected . Do not eat the meat!!!! Is that correct???

Slight hi jack.
Oldest daughter is a DVM, 2 years ago we where dressing out a nice 10 point whitetail my wife had shot 4 1/2 year old in excellent condition.
Daughter slices open the liver, 2 dead encapsuleted liver flukes and 2 alive and moving liver flukes.
Didn't eat the liver , but the meat was good.
Steve Bair

Has cwd been found in the meat when a deer was tested positive? I thought cwd was only found in the spinal column and skull.

Last year a buddy from out of state shot a Muley buck. He got test back later after cutting it all up at my house. It had CWD. It looked like a perfectly healthy buck. He asked me would I eat it. I said the way it looked I would. From what I've read its not in the meat. If not comfortable you have a lot of dog food.
I keep reading give it to the dog.
Not mine thanks.

Missouri have been testing deer since the first positive results were found in the state. Mizzou labs have helped out conservation with the overwhelming test that come in each year. Mizzou and mdc have been working together to provide a in the field blood test kit for hunters in the near future. They are also working towards a cure.

My local club has a mdc agent every November put on a presentation to update us with infected areas and changes. Last year mdc has changed their tone about the risk of eating a cwd positive deer that showed no signs of health decline when it was harvested. They highly recommend not eating the deer meat. CDC had issued the same recommendation. I highly doubt cdc would link any human illnesses with deer right now to avoid mass panic.

Processing your own deer would be the safest route. Your meat can come in contact with infected deer at a processing place. Just my 2 cents.
I think it's been pretty well shown that you cannot trust any govt agency right now, especially the CDC, to tell the truth about much at all. And that's a sad and dangerous thing...

I think they are up to 28 by now. It's a once a month thing I heard but wouldn't know since I am still unvaccinated.
We know, since there is no vaccine for it. That experimental gene therapy is reputed to ameliorate symptoms, but isn't in any way a vaccine. It neither prevents illness nor transmission of the ailment.

I am in an area in northern Idaho (Unit 14 & 15) that had a few mulie's test positive for CWD last year.
Idaho is showing concern over it spreading to other herds including elk. Even though IdF&G will send a free CWD test kit (You have to cut out the lymphnodes) they are saying test results will take 6 weeks. Sooo...if you pay to have a whitetail / elk butchered and a 20-30 pounds of specialty sausage, you are into it for $300 - $500. Then what do you do if the test is positive six weeks later?
Personally, if the animal looks healthy I'm gonna eat it. When I start to see cougars with CWD symptoms, then I'll get concerned (90% of a cougars diet is deer / ungulate).
$3-500? For a damned deer? No way. Even for an elk that's way too much. We've butchered our own animals forever because the meat is always better and you get the cuts you want, and know you're not being ripped off or meat swapped out or as some mentioned, contaminated. On the rare exceptions, we've always been disappointed. I had this guy in NM ruin most of an oryx I shot. Way, way too much burger vs steaks or roasts and the bastard left the silver-skin crap in the ground. Completely inedible. I wanted to shoot him next; he deserved it.

Sheep have a version called scrapie. Been known about for 300 years. Lots of sheep eaten in that time. Deer can have CWD and not show symptoms. If it looks healthy, stay away from the brain ,spinal cord/fluid and small intestines, Basically a gutless quarter. I would use a disposable saw blade to cut the skull form the spine. I know someone with a loved one dealing with CJD now. Not know how he contacted it, if any. Another horrible disease only horrible people should have!
Internal organs are NOT food.