Canned Deer

New a fellow that did a paid Bison hunt. He said the hardest part was rolling the big critter over so the big "X" on one side didn't show.
He won it in a raffle. He is still PO'd that he didn't win the rifle he was after, lol.

I think it's all perception to whomever is looking at it and the lens they're looking at it from. I live in N Florida, I have access to a large piece of private land that I hunt (3600 acres)…I occasionally hunt public here as well, and hold a membership to a club owned by a local timber company (89,000 acres). Every year I take kids to hunt and their Folks say the private land is like a zoo compared to the clubs around here and public land…but I go to Ohio most every November and hunt private leases and some public…and to me it's like cheating compared to hunting Florida. It's not the size, it's just the deer seem way dumber and not pressured nearly like here at home. We kill normally 130"-140"and shot a couple 160" deer but for our area that's what's there. High fence is different all together but I understand the draw to that.

As far as the shows go, I like the ones that appear to be more authentic. If it's on a piece of strictly managed land to grow older bucks, cool…. Cut the ads and just hunt. If it's on high pressured public…quit whining about the crowd…it's public land, they got a right to be there too, just go hunt and have a good time. That's all I ask for in the shows. Too much drama added on some to enjoy the hunt.

I love to watch the outdoor channels on TV, but I'm getting aggravated by what I'm seeing lately. It seems like 2 out of 3 of the deer hunting shows on the networks are just showing the host traveling to some shooting ranch in Texas or some other state to hunt. They just go sit in one of the pre-positioned blind boxes inside a fenced area and shoot a big buck when he comes to the corn. Their buck has usually been pre-selected and they just shoot it when it walks out.
I'm sorry, but that's just not deer hunting

I feel exactly the same…..I will not watch a "canned hunt" on television, nor would I consider participated in one!

If and I do mean "IF" the hunter has pretty severe disabilities…..then I suppose a "canned hunt" may be in order! Otherwise……anyone else participating in such "is not a hunter"! JMO memtb

Hunting strategies vary in different areas for many different reasons. Here in Texas, in a lot of places, there is a huge deer population and they can become a nuisance. This, coupled with the fact that in some areas of the state the woods are so dense and thick with briars to the point a human can't move around, I can see why the state allows baiting.

That being said, I personally don't enjoy sitting in a blind over a feeder. I farm and ranch and would rather hunt the very large oat fields that we plant for the cattle. These fields range in size from 100 to 1000 acres. I do still keep feeders running throughout the year. But my goal with those is to keep the doe hanging around on my ranch. I know the areas that bucks will hang out all summer in their bachelor groups. But when the oat fields come up, the deer pretty much quit the feeders anyway. I'll hide myself on the edge of an oat field and glass it waiting for the deer to come. Sometimes they come out in shooting range and sometimes I have to figure out a way to move undetected through a wide open field to get close enough for a shot. The style of hunting out west is by far my favorite way to hunt, but it's just impossible to do that in my area because the woods are to thick to move around in and visibility in a lot of it is 25 yards or less. They way I hunt oat fields is as close to western hunting as I can get around here.

I can't watch many deer hunting shows. I am from Texas and hunt the brush country of South Texas and I can't watch just about any show where they are deer hunting in South Texas. Typically they are killing cull bucks and typically it is just about as easy as they show it to do that. Figure out which ones you are going to kill, pour the corn to them and go shoot them. Culls and does are usually about that easy. But all the drama in the stand on the TV shows and all the fist pumping and badassery over a cull buck is just too much.

Now the honest truth is killing big, old deer in South Texas on low fence ranches isn't nearly that easy. Corn or no corn you still have to put the time in and pay your dues.
I get bored and annoyed at watching most hunting shows. With regard to hunting in South Texas, I respect your opinion. However, my experience is shooting deer in tower blinds near feeders differs from what you mention. The most difficult part of the hunt is getting to the stand without being ripped by thorns or attacked by yellow jackets. The hunting becomes more of a process of selection and shooting exercise. The mature giant bucks are more wary, but there is no comparison to the effort and work required to other areas I've hunted. If you have the funds and the access, consider yourself very fortunate. It's not hard, but it is still hunting.

Yeah, I hunt all over the world, spent a lot of days and hours doing it all, from Alaska to south texas, from Georgia and Florida, NM, Colorado, Montana, Germany, Africa as the locals do it and I respect methods and tradition…when in Rome…here the days are gone when you ask a farmer to sit over his corn fields, most of Texas is private property…that said there are a million acres of public land too, so hunt how you want. The purpose of hunting is to harvest game…if you choose a method that results in failure, knock yourself out and bless your heart.

I love to watch the outdoor channels on TV, but I'm getting aggravated by what I'm seeing lately. It seems like 2 out of 3 of the deer hunting shows on the networks are just showing the host traveling to some shooting ranch in Texas or some other state to hunt. They just go sit in one of the pre-positioned blind boxes inside a fenced area and shoot a big buck when he comes to the corn. Their buck has usually been pre-selected and they just shoot it when it walks out.
That's why I quit watching them. The advertisements and some of the antics when they take an animal, just got tired of it all.

They get a lot of money doing that.