Canned Deer

If you're in the Alberta wilderness surrounded by tens of thousands of acres, and there is a cleared shooting lane and a cleared spot where the bait , Is this a canned hunt? What if you're on five to fifteen thousand acres of high fence with elevated box blinds that have lots of deer come in just because there is no hunting pressure. Is this a canned hunt? This is the slippery slope hunters slide down when we start to judge others. I hunt within sight of my house on one of my feeders bringing deer off of a federal wildlife Refuge onto private land no one is able to hunt except myself and whoever I invite. Canned hunt? I don't judge or care what people with more money than myself does with it. If they want to pay ten, fifteenth thousand to kill a giant buck that most hunters won't see in their lifetime on public land, who cares. Envy, one of the sins spoken of in the Bible. Quit fighting among ourselves.
You describe what I would call deer shooting not deer hunting. It's deer shooting because it's confined and predictable and you just sit, wait and shoot. Now to dissect the difference, the Alberta scenario is wild animals and the bait and shooting lanes are the set up for the sit, wait and shoot, ok not interested but it is wild unconfined animals so whatever. Now your land and baiting in deer that are almost tame from a refuge and you and your friends sit, wait and shoot, ok well kinda easy, the deer are tame but not confined and it's not for hire with preselected trophy so not "canned" but not any great feat. The the high fence wether 500 or 5000 acres is getting into canned hunt with paid customers etc, yep not hunting yes it's 'canned" hunting. My old man retired to a property that was great during dove season. I called it dove shooting not dove hunting. We would walk out front set up lawn chairs at the edge of the pasture under the shade of huge mesquite trees and wingshoot as the dove flew buy, but wing shooting dove is a challenge no mater the scenario. If you like shooting deer from an easy set up well that's your business, you pay big money to shoot a preselected trophy in a confined setup then that's just weak. BTW no envy for a big buck that was taken off a canned hunt. The real trophy is the experience, the experience of being on foot working the ground and plotting a successful approach to a clean shot on wary game. For my way of seeing it canned hunting is ripe for judging and condemning. Whereas your easy hunts, well just not that interesting.

Ol no

he's already said he'd give me a bunch and giving the rest away also . No complaining from me bout free elk meat but really , he's went on and on bout this like it was a spike camp hunt off horse back
I wouldn't eat that doped up steroid bull from a high fenced hunt. As it's not a meat producing farm animal, I bet there are few to no laws limiting what can be injected into it for horn growth. Then again they say it's all about genetics, not drugs or supplements.

Canning deer meat would have been a great thread!
I Would appreciate all the input, advice and recipes everyone can give, without divulging any family secrets, on canning meat. Wild game as well as domestically raised critters. I think it would be a big help for those looking to give it a try.
It was started but not many replies.

Back in the "day", these shows were few and far between and to a degree useful. Now, most, and I do mean most, are 10 minutes of commercial, 19 minutes of info-mercial, 30 seconds of some semi-worthwhile information, and the part I really freakin' hate...30 seconds of this type of behavior -

🤬

Agreed. Everyone will show different emotions after the shot but I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen anyone act this way other than on these shows.

Aww come on guys, some of those folks hunt hard all week sitting on they're butts, my 2 cents, I do some of my best work sitting on my behind, but not while Im hunting, if one is hunting a targeted animal its not really fair chase.

I wouldn't eat that doped up steroid bull from a high fenced hunt. As it's not a meat producing farm animal, I bet there are few to no laws limiting what can be injected into it for horn growth. Then again they say it's all about genetics, not drugs or supplements.
It is all about genetics, feed and minerals
None are injected with steriods

@victor3ranger the canning thread is in the cooks corner forum. You should be able to get there by clicking on Left hand Dave's quote. Hopefully this helps.
I Would appreciate all the input, advice and recipes everyone can give, without divulging any family secrets, on canning meat. Wild game as well as domestically raised critters. I think it would be a big help for those looking to give it a try.

Recent Posts