Canned Deer

Sometimes I wonder if guys do a hunting show to be able to "write off" hunts that they'd take anyway. I have no problem with anyone doing baited high fence if they want to. A lot of these rifle manufacturers and the like all have hunting shows that draw interest, give them some tv cred, and probably reduce the costs of spendy hunts. Just a thought.

If you're in the Alberta wilderness surrounded by tens of thousands of acres, and there is a cleared shooting lane and a cleared spot where the bait , Is this a canned hunt? What if you're on five to fifteen thousand acres of high fence with elevated box blinds that have lots of deer come in just because there is no hunting pressure. Is this a canned hunt? This is the slippery slope hunters slide down when we start to judge others. I hunt within sight of my house on one of my feeders bringing deer off of a federal wildlife Refuge onto private land no one is able to hunt except myself and whoever I invite. Canned hunt? I don't judge or care what people with more money than myself does with it. If they want to pay ten, fifteenth thousand to kill a giant buck that most hunters won't see in their lifetime on public land, who cares. Envy, one of the sins spoken of in the Bible. Quit fighting among ourselves.
Who was your outfitter in alberta?
Because baiting deer is 100% illegal

A canned hunt is any hunt where an animal cannot escape
So high fence
Not eligible for boone and crockett or pope and young
Not fair chase
Success rates are pretty much 100%
There is lots of these operations all over north america now
These are canned hunts

Try watching Meat Eater.
Steve Rinella really goes after his game animals.
This guy makes me want to puke
Hes a good cook ill give him that

If your after the purest for of hunting
It is would be a backpack/horseback sheep/goat/caribou/moose hunt in the north
There is no fields or crops for these animals to be attracted to, there is no roads for you to drive down, there is nothing except for you and your guide. You have to find the animals, wherever they may be, and hunt them. Where you see them today, they could be long gone tomorrow. With the exception of moose, there is no calling. So its just on you and your hunting skills to get the job done

As Jack o'connor wrote
There is no half way. After his first exposure, a man is either a sheep hunter or he isn't. He either falls under the spell of sheep hunting and sheep country or he won't be caught dead on another sheep mountain

If you get bit by the bug youll probably never look at deer hunting the same again

Who was your outfitter in alberta?
Because baiting deer is 100% illegal

A canned hunt is any hunt where an animal cannot escape
So high fence
Not eligible for boone and crockett or pope and young
Not fair chase
Success rates are pretty much 100%
There is lots of these operations all over north america now
These are canned hunts
Never been to Canada, But I've watched enough shows where the outfitter put out alfalfa to bring them in. Maybe not Alberta, but other Canadian big woods.

Never been to Canada, But I've watched enough shows where the outfitter put out alfalfa to bring them in. Maybe not Alberta, but other Canadian big woods.
I believe Saskatchewan still allows it but it is pretty hotly debated. Totally illegal in Alberta though.. Illegal in Montana as well.

I love to watch the outdoor channels on TV, but I'm getting aggravated by what I'm seeing lately. It seems like 2 out of 3 of the deer hunting shows on the networks are just showing the host traveling to some shooting ranch in Texas or some other state to hunt. They just go sit in one of the pre-positioned blind boxes inside a fenced area and shoot a big buck when he comes to the corn. Their buck has usually been pre-selected and they just shoot it when it walks out.
I'm sorry, but that's just not deer hunting
If you don't hunt that way in Texas, you will probably not get any shots. Ranchers carefully manage deer for quality and size and yes they preselect some options for the high dollar visitors but you never know what's gonna show. I would love to follow all the outta state feeder haters on a few hunts in Texas to whatch the fun of busting through black brush, huisache and guyacon and watch the tail flags disappearing over the horizon 500 yds in front of those manly stalker hunters. You know you place your stands and feeders in areas you've carefully scouted…so what's your point?

If you don't hunt that way in Texas, you will probably not get any shots. Ranchers carefully manage deer for quality and size and yes they preselect some options for the high dollar visitors but you never know what's gonna show. I would love to follow all the outta state feeder haters on a few hunts in Texas to whatch the fun of busting through black brush, huisache and guyacon and watch the tail flags disappearing over the horizon 500 yds in front of those manly stalker hunters. You know you place your stands and feeders in areas you've carefully scouted…so what's your point?
Agreed, having Hunted the Freer area several times I would not want to bush bust though anything there. I didn't want to go in there to look for shot deer, hogs and javalina. Had two flat tires on the way home and my truck never left the parking area around the bunk house. Four Wheeler tires were riddled with thorns. Thank god for slime.

Agreed, having Hunted the Freer area several times I would not want to bush bust though anything there. I didn't want to go in there to look for shot deer, hogs and javalina. Had two flat tires on the way home and my truck never left the parking area around the bunk house. Four Wheeler tires were riddled with thorns. Thank god for slime.
Oh man when I was a kid in Jr. High- maybe 7th grade, I hunted with my Dad and his buddies in a place called the Wilderness near Fredericksburg VA. Same fields the Union and Confederacy fought in tight woods and acres and acres of brambles. Those bramble fields still existed when we hunted them. The older men would post in the field and my dad made me wear long sleeves, an old Wrangler denim jacket and I'd have to get down and crawl through the whirl tunnels made by deer and other animals through the rose thickets and briars, trying to spook them out.

I'd come out a bloody mess, lol.

I remember that day so well. A buck did squeeze out but there was no shot. They called it a day but I didn't. I took my dad's old single shot Bay State 12 ga and a few 00 buckshells, went to this little open field with a creek running down the middle and laid down by a fallen log not far from the creek. A small spike came out of the woods right to the creek and I waited until he was 15-20 yds, popped up and got 'em. That evening at the hunting shack you would've thought I won a gold medal everybody was whooping and hollering. I think it was just an excuse for them to get drunk, lol.

Last edited:
We've got our share of dense thickets here in Tennessee, but that's where our deer bed. We don't normally hunt the bedding areas. We want the deer to stay as undisturbed as possible in their bedding areas so they don't leave our hunting areas. We don't have any fences to keep them in unless a 3 strand barb wire fence could do it.
As far as where I put my feeders; I don't use them. It's illegal to feed deer in Tennessee.

I can't watch many deer hunting shows. I am from Texas and hunt the brush country of South Texas and I can't watch just about any show where they are deer hunting in South Texas. Typically they are killing cull bucks and typically it is just about as easy as they show it to do that. Figure out which ones you are going to kill, pour the corn to them and go shoot them. Culls and does are usually about that easy. But all the drama in the stand on the TV shows and all the fist pumping and badassery over a cull buck is just too much.

Now the honest truth is killing big, old deer in South Texas on low fence ranches isn't nearly that easy. Corn or no corn you still have to put the time in and pay your dues.

I have hunted hogs in Texas and while hunting 3 days I must have seen 200 deer.I was asked to let the deer alone as other plans were made for them.Don't ask don't tell!
They are like rats as they breed and populate like crazy without proper management.
All throughout the state deer populations are carefully managed—my son is a wildlife biologist on a large ranch and also consultant to properties of over 50,000 acres…so another uninformed—do not equate gig eradication hunting with deer hunting…also, while the deer in some areas run smaller than Midwest, some in the south come in at 235 pounds or so and he's scored bucks of 165-205 in the last couple years. Learn more…then comment.