Coues deer/Mule deer conundrum

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Well, I have a serious problem. I shouldnt complain as it should be a good problem to have. The problem is that I have enough bonus points this year in Arizona to put me in the "1st bonus point pass" for the 20% quota that goes to max point holders to draw any deer hunt I want south of the colorado river. My delima is there are 2 hunts that I desire equally. One is a rifle rut hunt for coues whitetails and the other is a rut mulie hunt with a muzzleloader (inlines, scopes and sabots ARE legal!). So the ML hunt may as well be a rifle hunt since I can use a scope of any power, sobots and inlines. Decisions, decisions....................I really cant make up my mind.

ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To me thats a No-Brainer.
Couesie baby:)
Do you visit Coueswhitetail.com?
If not just spend a little time there
and we will convince you:D

For ME, it's not even a consideration. I've lusted over hunting for a Coues for as long as I can remember. A rut hunt for a nice Muley would be nice... But a rifle hunt for Coues, now that's a dream come true.

But that's just me. I've not had the chance to hunt either so far. You've hunted sheep many times... that nocks #1 off my wish list so I don't know where that leads to! I got to see a good number of sheep when I was hunting caribou in Alaska, I'll be back for one! When considering deer though, a Coues is at the top.

Either way, you can't go wronge.

Gene

MICHAEL- he muzzleloader hunt i see is before the mule deer rut by a week. COUES . but what unit??

MICHAEL- he muzzleloader hunt i see is before the mule deer rut by a week. COUES . but what unit??

The ML hunt is before the peak of the rut yeah, but having bowhunted the areas in the past many times has shown me that the big boys are still out lookin for girls the last week in December which is when the hunt would be.

If I opt to go coues, it will be unit 22.

MICHAEL- my bad. i was looking at the unit 12b muzzleloader hunt. good luck in the draw. i still say coues. roninflag

MICHAEL- did you see the blurry pic of the succesful coues deer hunter on the front cover of the regs???

The ML hunt is before the peak of the rut yeah, but having bowhunted the areas in the past many times has shown me that the big boys are still out lookin for girls the last week in December which is when the hunt would be.

If I opt to go coues, it will be unit 22.

GET OUT OF MY BACK YARD:rolleyes:
If you put in for the Oct hunt you should get drawn with your points
But with only 25 permits for that hunt, Good Luck.
Hey if nothing else, you will have another point:)
With lots of bonus points you may want to look at the 30's units.
I have never hunted down there but is to be the best trophy units.
If you have family or friends in 22 it is not a bad choice but again,
only 25 permits and if you are out of state only 10% will go to nonresidents.
Good luck on the draw.
I did put in for the Dec 22 hunt first choice and Oct 2nd but I live here
and have the time to scout.
Wonder if I know somewhere I might look for the Gray Ghost:D

GET OUT OF MY BACK YARD:rolleyes:
If you put in for the Oct hunt you should get drawn with your points

I could draw the october hunt with my loyalty point and hunter ed points alone.

But with only 25 permits for that hunt, Good Luck.

According to the last two years of applicants with the max. points (first draw) I will have no problem drawing with the points I have this year. In 07 only 2 hunter applied with 7 points and in 08 again, only 2 hunters applied with 7 points which meens in both cases the hunters who applied with 7 points drew tags under the 20% rule and some of the applicants that had 6 points drew under the 20% max point rule. Now I wont tell you how many points I do have but I will say that it is more than 7 points! :D Sorry, I dont meen to invade your back yard. After all of the $$ I have donated to the state by loyaly applying and being unsuccessfull, and all the years I have bowhunted responsibly there, I deserve it!

Hey if nothing else, you will have another point:)
With lots of bonus points you may want to look at the 30's units.
I have never hunted down there but is to be the best trophy units.
If you have family or friends in 22 it is not a bad choice but again,
only 25 permits and if you are out of state only 10% will go to nonresidents.

The 10% cap only bothers me when I am NOT in the first max bonus point pass. Plus I am VERY familiar with 22 as I have bowhunted it regularly in the past as my cousin lives in Payson which is where I was born.

Good luck on the draw.
I did put in for the Dec 22 hunt first choice and Oct 2nd but I live here
and have the time to scout.
Wonder if I know somewhere I might look for the Gray Ghost:D

Last edited:
gamehauler/michael- did you see the deer on the front cover of the regs?? i hunted 36 last year. long ways from flag though

i wish i knew the family. i saw the buck ; then the gun then the girl. i got the regs 4 days before my trophy hunter magazine came. story is in there with professional quailty pics. 127 7/8 . while i am not a coues nutt i do like to hunt them . the pics will make your eyes bug out. i am guessing unit 23 the article does not say. a 175 pound archery bear next to the coues. i guess the gamand fish was not trying to totally mislead people

Well Michael you have done your homework
and understand the AZ draw system well.
I hope you do draw the Dec tag as you do
deserve it from the sounds of it.
Thanks also for all the donated $ to AZGFD:rolleyes:
That is not cheap for a non-res
Payson is also my home, I may even know your Cousin.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.