Deer Accuracy

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
@Winfwt338-06 the shots in Georgia woods are normally 50-150 yards. Some guys hunt power lines or peanut fields and some of those shots get between 400-600 yards. But it's normally pretty flat in my part of the state. Everyone I've ever hunted with or ever known to hunt, hunts exclusively out of box blinds. Either ground or tree (also climbers, but consider those similar to box blinds). So you're getting a bench rest style shot on non stressed or non fast moving deer, generally.
When I was stationed at Ft Stewart a 50 yards shot would have been a long one lol. Thick forests and swamp lands over there.

Nice. Saw y'all switched ammo. Just wondering if you had any before and after results with the original ammo he was shooting?

No I don't. The first time I ever shot it, steel recoil plate and 7lb trigger, it was grouping about 4 inches with 180 grain superformance. Then we did a little work, and shot it again and it got down to 2-2.5 inches for 3 shot groups. I don't know why I didn't take pics. Didn't think I would take it this far, I guess. Only switched ammo to federal bc that's what I had on hand in my ammo can.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's good to go. Deers vitals are about 12"-14". Honestly, a 2 MOA gun will get the job done out to 200. I've hunted in Virginia the last 20 years and 95% of my shots have been under 60 yards. Your terrain is about the same.

Let's be honest here, most of us on the forum shoot 4" groups at 800 yards and that is perfectly acceptable. If 4" groups at 800 are fine then by god they are fine at 200.... in ideal conditions I have rifles that shoot 6" at 1400 yards. That same 6" group is 100% within the vitals of a white tail. I'd make the argument that 10" groups would also result in a good old double lung shot. Don't over think this..... minute of Bambi is just like minute of meth head.... in real world application at normal ranges, you don't have to have .5 or better MOA

I built 4 rifles in September:
Deviant Defiance 7mmSTW
Mauser 6.5-06
Mosin 25 Krag Ackley
Rem700 250 Sav

In October:
I drove 900 miles
I sighted the rifles in with bipods shooting prone at 50 yards, 100 yards, and 200 yards.
I sighted them in until they hit the 1/2" red dot at 200 yards on a windless day.

Then I shot 3 deer:
Two were freehand at 100 yards.
One was off a steel fence post at 220 yards.

Hunting never turns out like you think it will.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts