Deer Accuracy

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48126

Back story, as you may know, I love shooting itty bitty groups. It bugs mean when I cant get a rifle in the .5 MOA range at 100 yards.

I am in Georgia and deer season is starting this weekend. So my coworkers all know I am a gun nut, and several have asked me to take them to the range to get their rifles "truly" zeroed. I guess me talking about guns and shooting made them lose confidence in their equipment. That made me feel bad since I do not want to discourage anyone from shooting.

So anyway, guys come out, I let them shoot my customs rifles, that are already dialed in, to build confidence in their shooting ability. Then we move over to their guns. I get two coworkers shooting right at an inch for 3 shot groups. One was a nice AR in 6.5G and the other was an RAR in .30-06. A lot of silly errors on their part, such as lifting their head off the rifle after every shot, resting the barrel on the rest instead of the forend, loose scope mounts, not understanding parallex, etc. We get it all sorted out and get them shooting.

Another coworker has a beautiful Remington 700 BDL in .30-06 from 1981. It has a Nikon Monarch 7, 30mm tube, SFP. Ammo is the hornardy superformance 180 grain SST. We shoot the rifle and its grouping 3-4 inches at 100 yards consistently. It has a steel butt plate, literally a 7lb trigger (new xmark after the recall, remington installed), and my coworker for life of him, could not get comfortable off the rest on the bench.

So immediate fix, get trigger work done and recoil pad installed. Had a local gunsmith install a really nice recoil pad, lower the trigger down to 3lbs, torqued action into the wood stock to spec, and did a deep clean on the barrel. Took my coworker shooting yesterday. Same ammo, from the same lot number, front bean bag rest, nothing supporting the rear of the stock.

We shot 4 x 3 shot groups. Largest group was 2.5 inches, smallest was a tad over 1 inch. Average for all 4 groups was 2.10. We took his last 8 rounds and shot a 4 inch steel gong at 100 and then 200 yards. He got center of mass hits on the plate at both distances. He connected on all 8 shots.

Sorry, for the long rant. I guess, I am asking will this rifle work for georgia deer hunting? I feel like I did him a disservice, because my expectation was at least 1 MOA. He also, kept asking if his rifle will get the job done at 200 yards after hitting the plate at that distance. Which I attributed his question to a lack of confidence in his equipment issue. Whats your guy's opinion on this? What do you think is acceptable accuracy? Did I not set him up for success? I think my OCD is getting the better of me...lol.

How long are his shots gonna be? Sounds like it will work. Try some 165gr next time. sometimes the 06 likes those better or Ive had good luck with federal gameking loads shooting in everything Ive put them in and they are reasonable. Don't forget to have smith check the crown also. Good hunting

Sounds like it's good enough for him. As long as he is happy and feels confident I think you did fine by helping him. If he decides he wants to get serious about improving his gun you can help him along the way.

His shooting ability while hunting will have a bigger factor than the another 1/2 MOA improvement on his rifle

How long are his shots gonna be? Sounds like it will work. Try some 165gr next time. sometimes the 06 likes those better or Ive had good luck with federal gameking loads shooting in everything Ive put them in and they are reasonable. Don't forget to have smith check the crown also. Good hunting

Totally forgot about the crown...its got the typical, old hunting gun crown, where the bluing is a little worn off and the crown is showing some bare metal. He hunts planted pine out of a box blind, so anywhere from 25 yards out to 300 yards. Nice, straight shooting lanes.

You not only upgraded his equipment but gave him an education. His question of 200 yds is totally doable. We on this site tend to take things like group size to the extreme. At long distance, this is necessary. Your buddy is not in this camp. He is just a guy wanting to go hunting. You did him and his prey a great service and you should be proud. Have him pick up a used Bell & Carlson and a jar of Acraglass. He can learn to bed and add to his confidence. Read the directions and it's hard to screw up.

The best hunter i ever met was my deceased FIL. He had a lot of Cherokees indian in him. He was not a good shot and knew it. He would just get close. He killed deer, elk antelope moose, and god only knows what else. He shot an old .270 and a worn out 700 in 7mag. I saw him sneak up on a wild whitetail and catch it with his bare hands wearing a white tshirt and jeans. I want my rifles shooting a half a minute or better and enjoy the challenge of long range hunting. He used to tease me and say if i was a better hunter i wouldnt need fancy rifles and handloads. Point is accuracy has nothing to do with being a successful hunter.

One thing that makes me cringe is when i hear someone say "it's good enough for hunting"
My personal standards are sub 1/2 moa at 200 yard, i want to know that the shot is going exactly where intended.

I agree. That's why 2 MOA was bothering me. But when your target is 6 inches or more 2MOA at 100 yards does work.

Great job Sir,l and nice way to help him out.

I would recommend trying other factory ammo and as Hunter67wa lighter bullets might work better.

Personally I would still want 1 MOA or better for a smaller margin of error at 300 yds. now if he was shooting to 500 or 600 yds then yes a sub half MOA is definitely needed. That's just me.

Great job Sir,l and nice way to help him out.

I would recommend trying other factory ammo and as Hunter67wa lighter bullets might work better.

Personally I would still want 1 MOA or better for a smaller margin of error at 300 yds. now if he was shooting to 500 or 600 yds then yes a sub half MOA is definitely needed. That's just me.
And you are correct. If your rifle doesnt shoot as well, or you don"t, just get closer

And you are correct. If your rifle doesnt shoot as well, or you don"t, just get closer

yeah his lack of confidence may be a strength and serve him well. It will limit his shots to 100 yards. He was crushing that steel plate, so I know he'll ethically take a deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.