Deer Accuracy

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
Big honking deer! I was "all set" with my Mod 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag, handloaded Nosler 150PT (under 3/4" easy) 2.5x8 Leupold, and popped a medium sized "yearling" ( about 140 pounds!) right at 15yds! Walked right by my treestand. I could have used my pistol, ha. since you guys are in the Military 300, would think most of you would use ARs ?

I had that happen to me this morning. I was hunting and a doe ran down a trail, ran between my ladder stand and the tree, turned 90 degrees and walked up the other side of a creek. At her closet point she was maybe 15 feet directly below me. I was so caught in the moment I didn't even try to shoot. It was cool watching her. The woods were super thick and she was almost gliding through them.

I *had* 4 ARs but they all melted when my house unexpectedly burned down. I hunted with them a lot. They are perfect Georgia woods guns. Had them in .223, 6.5G, and .300BO.

I use super fancy, 1500 yard, $2k scoped, elk guns now for those impossible 35 yard shots. Lol

I had that happen to me this morning. I was hunting and a doe ran down a trail, ran between my ladder stand and the tree, turned 90 degrees and walked up the other side of a creek. At her closet point she was maybe 15 feet directly below me. I was so caught in the moment I didn't even try to shoot. It was cool watching her. The woods were super thick and she was almost gliding through them.

I *had* 4 ARs but they all melted when my house unexpectedly burned down. I hunted with them a lot. They are perfect Georgia woods guns. Had them in .223, 6.5G, and .300BO.

I use super fancy, 1500 yard, $2k scoped, elk guns now for those impossible 35 yard shots. Lol
No buck chasing that doe ? My heart jumps up in my throat this time of year when a doe comes running by !
Its smoken hot or dead as a hammer time in the Ga woods. Bucks should be all over the hot does. If your where she is, the woods are crazy with deer movement. If you are sitting in a spot that's out of sight of that hot doe, you would swear there wasn't a deer in the state!

A buddy grand daughter first deer
East Texas low fence

Attachments

• B27B948D-9BEA-4F61-B4D1-C3F9F7A97B7F.jpeg
    B27B948D-9BEA-4F61-B4D1-C3F9F7A97B7F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 140
I hunted Valdosta back in '84 and the deer were almost all Northern whitetail that had been brought in decades earlier. Big honking deer! I was "all set" with my Mod 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag, handloaded Nosler 150PT (under 3/4" easy) 2.5x8 Leupold, and popped a medium sized "yearling" ( about 140 pounds!) right at 15yds! Walked right by my treestand. I could have used my pistol, ha. since you guys are in the Military 300, would think most of you would use ARs? Glad you got to help them out! Federal Blue Box is the one I grab first, even for barrel break in, :) In 30-06, 150gr.
Yea, Ga deer are a hodge podge of strains from all over the place. It's the mix of Wisconsin and Kentucky breeds that produce our better deer. It's all very washed out now, as to say , you wont kill a Wisconsin deer in Ga these days, but the genes are mixed in there . We can grow some beasts , but we have some poor genes sloshing around in there too. I guess its like that everywhere.

Well got my deer this morning. The ole creedmoor and 147 ELDX did the job. Good season all around. A lot of activity, saw some big bucks but couldn't shoot because of "trophy management" :mad:. But happy none the less.

90E8E805-6B8E-4DE9-B83E-0DA694F6F733.jpeg

Fryed heart! My favorite part of the deer! Didn't read all the pages but until I developed a good load for one of my rifles it averaged about a 3 inch group at 100 yards. Lots of dead critters out to around 300 yards with that load! I am glad it shoots under an inch now,but it doesn't kill things any deader!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.