Deer Accuracy

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
thats the same buck?? It looks smaller in the first pic! Holy cow what a monster.
First pic shows proper scale. Second pic uses the old shove the little bass out in the camera lens trick. Either way, its a BEAST ! That girl is ruined for life. Any buck after that one will be insignificant . Nice problem to have imho

upload_2020-1-3_7-21-33.jpeg

5.56 is correct.
Camera angle is everything.
A little person should always hold the antlers as far In front of them as possible.
Regardless, she will more than likely hunt the rest of her life and not out do this one.

I'm not BC certified. Only score for the
Texas Big Game Awards program,
But we use bc system.
We entered it as a typical because that is basically what it is and the large amount of abnormal points killed its net.
But if it were mine, I'm calling it a 190"
non typical all day long.
Lol

View attachment 166478

5.56 is correct.
Camera angle is everything.
A little person should always hold the antlers as far In front of them as possible.
Regardless, she will more than likely hunt the rest of her life and not out do this one.

I'm not BC certified. Only score for the
Texas Big Game Awards program,
But we use bc system.
We entered it as a typical because that is basically what it is and the large amount of abnormal points killed its net.
But if it were mine, I'm calling it a 190"
non typical all day long.
Lol
Yes sir, i understand all about the BC system and how it can belittle an exceptional animal. I had made a wild guess at close to 200 total inches of bone. You just cant tell by a couple frontal pics . She should be proud of her 190" buck !
My best deer is a public land bowkill that has 160" of bone. One tine comes off the inside of the main beam by about a half inch. That one tines location made its mate on the other side atypical , busting what would have been a mid 150s net typical 12 pt and new record bowkill for my county, into a 139 1/8 net nontypical ! The guy that scored my deer appologized profusely for the injuatice to that deer and said he had scored a truck bed full of bucks that booked that werent half as impressive as my buck. Score be danged, that little gals buck is worthy of 190 inch honor among many horns that just happened to grow a little different and fell the right way for BC score to accept.

Last edited:
Depends on his trigger control and shooting during buck fever. Theoretically, 2MOA will provide a 6inch group at 300 yards which is good enough for deer. This is assuming he is not shaking like a leaf on the trigger pull and very steady. If it were me id be limiting my shots to 250 yards which is likely enough, that being said, if I were him id be re-barreling that rifle.

I had an old Rem 700 BDL in 30-06 that a guy brought to me and said it wouldn't shoot groups worth a **** and ask me to take a look at it. First I did a deep cleaning with Sweats 7.62, which took me forever to remove 20 years worth of copper. But I then loaded it up and took it to the range and found that it would only shoot 180 grain bullets. Found two types of 180 grain bullets 1 it liked and 1 it loved. The one it liked shot about 1.25 inch groups and the one it loved shot .60 inch groups.

Back story, as you may know, I love shooting itty bitty groups. It bugs mean when I cant get a rifle in the .5 MOA range at 100 yards.

I am in Georgia and deer season is starting this weekend. So my coworkers all know I am a gun nut, and several have asked me to take them to the range to get their rifles "truly" zeroed. I guess me talking about guns and shooting made them lose confidence in their equipment. That made me feel bad since I do not want to discourage anyone from shooting.

So anyway, guys come out, I let them shoot my customs rifles, that are already dialed in, to build confidence in their shooting ability. Then we move over to their guns. I get two coworkers shooting right at an inch for 3 shot groups. One was a nice AR in 6.5G and the other was an RAR in .30-06. A lot of silly errors on their part, such as lifting their head off the rifle after every shot, resting the barrel on the rest instead of the forend, loose scope mounts, not understanding parallex, etc. We get it all sorted out and get them shooting.

Another coworker has a beautiful Remington 700 BDL in .30-06 from 1981. It has a Nikon Monarch 7, 30mm tube, SFP. Ammo is the hornardy superformance 180 grain SST. We shoot the rifle and its grouping 3-4 inches at 100 yards consistently. It has a steel butt plate, literally a 7lb trigger (new xmark after the recall, remington installed), and my coworker for life of him, could not get comfortable off the rest on the bench.

So immediate fix, get trigger work done and recoil pad installed. Had a local gunsmith install a really nice recoil pad, lower the trigger down to 3lbs, torqued action into the wood stock to spec, and did a deep clean on the barrel. Took my coworker shooting yesterday. Same ammo, from the same lot number, front bean bag rest, nothing supporting the rear of the stock.

We shot 4 x 3 shot groups. Largest group was 2.5 inches, smallest was a tad over 1 inch. Average for all 4 groups was 2.10. We took his last 8 rounds and shot a 4 inch steel gong at 100 and then 200 yards. He got center of mass hits on the plate at both distances. He connected on all 8 shots.

Sorry, for the long rant. I guess, I am asking will this rifle work for georgia deer hunting? I feel like I did him a disservice, because my expectation was at least 1 MOA. He also, kept asking if his rifle will get the job done at 200 yards after hitting the plate at that distance. Which I attributed his question to a lack of confidence in his equipment issue. Whats your guy's opinion on this? What do you think is acceptable accuracy? Did I not set him up for success? I think my OCD is getting the better of me...lol.
A lot of the dilemma lies in where/ how the hunting is done. If tree stand hunting and deer are alert but standing moa or 2moa works. Here on west side of country, open range longer shots are possible and sub moa is a confidence builder, in my mind, for long standing shots. On the flipside, if you kick a big buck out id his bed in open or mountain terrain, and take running shot, minute of hillside for the average shooter is good. Let's say you shoot an '06 with 180gr doing 2700fps. You shoot at a running buck at 100yds, most shooters don't realize you need a 6' lead on that deer to hit center mass. Don't think sub moa groups will help mostly luck. If you've done what you can to eliminate rifle/ shooter error hunter needs to understand what his 100yd group will do at any given distance and be able to compensate. I had an alcoholic uncle who hunted with a Savage 99 300 Savage. Shooting freehand you could watch his barrel do small circles, then all of a sudden come steady and sound of muzzle report. What ever was downrange, went down. When asked how he did it he said, "just have to get em on the right rotation!"

@Winfwt338-06 the shots in Georgia woods are normally 50-150 yards. Some guys hunt power lines or peanut fields and some of those shots get between 400-600 yards. But it's normally pretty flat in my part of the state. Everyone I've ever hunted with or ever known to hunt, hunts exclusively out of box blinds. Either ground or tree (also climbers, but consider those similar to box blinds). So you're getting a bench rest style shot on non stressed or non fast moving deer, generally.

Back story, as you may know, I love shooting itty bitty groups. It bugs mean when I cant get a rifle in the .5 MOA range at 100 yards.

I am in Georgia and deer season is starting this weekend. So my coworkers all know I am a gun nut, and several have asked me to take them to the range to get their rifles "truly" zeroed. I guess me talking about guns and shooting made them lose confidence in their equipment. That made me feel bad since I do not want to discourage anyone from shooting.

So anyway, guys come out, I let them shoot my customs rifles, that are already dialed in, to build confidence in their shooting ability. Then we move over to their guns. I get two coworkers shooting right at an inch for 3 shot groups. One was a nice AR in 6.5G and the other was an RAR in .30-06. A lot of silly errors on their part, such as lifting their head off the rifle after every shot, resting the barrel on the rest instead of the forend, loose scope mounts, not understanding parallex, etc. We get it all sorted out and get them shooting.

Another coworker has a beautiful Remington 700 BDL in .30-06 from 1981. It has a Nikon Monarch 7, 30mm tube, SFP. Ammo is the hornardy superformance 180 grain SST. We shoot the rifle and its grouping 3-4 inches at 100 yards consistently. It has a steel butt plate, literally a 7lb trigger (new xmark after the recall, remington installed), and my coworker for life of him, could not get comfortable off the rest on the bench.

So immediate fix, get trigger work done and recoil pad installed. Had a local gunsmith install a really nice recoil pad, lower the trigger down to 3lbs, torqued action into the wood stock to spec, and did a deep clean on the barrel. Took my coworker shooting yesterday. Same ammo, from the same lot number, front bean bag rest, nothing supporting the rear of the stock.

We shot 4 x 3 shot groups. Largest group was 2.5 inches, smallest was a tad over 1 inch. Average for all 4 groups was 2.10. We took his last 8 rounds and shot a 4 inch steel gong at 100 and then 200 yards. He got center of mass hits on the plate at both distances. He connected on all 8 shots.

Sorry, for the long rant. I guess, I am asking will this rifle work for georgia deer hunting? I feel like I did him a disservice, because my expectation was at least 1 MOA. He also, kept asking if his rifle will get the job done at 200 yards after hitting the plate at that distance. Which I attributed his question to a lack of confidence in his equipment issue. Whats your guy's opinion on this? What do you think is acceptable accuracy? Did I not set him up for success? I think my OCD is getting the better of me...lol.
good for Deer to 300 easy....400 should be close to 4" group but must shoot that far to be sure. Never assume. Bullets do strange things the further out they get...

Update guys. Same gentlemen and his rifle. Got it back from the Smith after he wanted more work done. So here she is. Timney trigger, glass bed, muzzle brake, weaver rail and Burris 30 mm rings, and cerakoted to look like bluing.

2 x 3 shot groups. 150 grain federal fusions at 100 yards off a tripod and chair. Red is first group seeing where the rifle was, and the yellow group was it zeroed. I just left it alone because that will be dead on at 200 yards. Full disclosure. I normally shoot 5 shot groups, but the pencil thin barrel would heat up and throw the last two shots to about 2 - 2.5 inches. Whatever, it's good enough for government work.

40C38A2B-6922-4743-BE48-43D3C1D8A670.jpeg
2E023363-54A8-467B-9202-C9C28A59EFB8.jpeg

BF068DC1-0010-4B2E-BE22-FA94DE370356.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.