Custom 6.5 prc

She is a beaut!!! Never had anything custom like that. What does a build like that cost?
Thanks! Somewhere around 5500-6k parts and labor off the top of my head. Not exactly sure, I bought parts slowly then when I had them all I took them to Mile High. Who again I can't say enough about. They are well known in the Long Range comp, tactical, and LE world, but if someone wants a high quality gun build I'd go there. I'd put them with any other more well known custom builder.

Omg. There's a flaw in the Creedmoor?? Don't say that.

Just read all the hype about them all over the web. There the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm not sure what flaw there is per say. It's funny how people like to argue over cartridges. It's great we have all these choices as people can choose what they like. I have a Tikka Tac A1 and made a second round hit at 1465 on the planes of CO with a fair amount of wind and Hornady match ammo. It also performed well on throughout the three day class. However I wasn't thrilled with the performance on the deer my son shot this year (semi custom T3x). For this particular gun I was going to build a 6.5-284 but figured I'd try the new PRC with similar ballistics in a short action.

At the end of the day all cartridges have their pros and cons, and there are no perfect cartridges. We're fortunate to have choices and be able to enjoy what we want. To each is own.

***? Did Hornady 'design' the Creedmoor to 'fix' the Grendels flaws? How does the PRC NOT 'burn out barrels as bad' as the Creed? Ignore physics? And it's spelled 'creedmoor'......
SOCOM wanted a new and improved Sniper round - they wanted something based on the 7.62 (mil spec) case.
They got what they ordered... a round that uses the 7.62 bolt and magazine.
Physics vs Military Logic ~ M14, M24, M40A5, M91A2, Springfield M1A, and a dozen or so other Military Rifles that can be converted to 6.5 Creedmore with a barrel swap...
Barrels will be replaced as needed per mil spec.
The new RCM case was designed to burn powder more efficiently with the high velocity .300 / .338, BUT, it's requires a .532 Magnum Bolt. It works with the 6.5, and can still be built on a .308/7.62 chassis. I believe most .308 box mags work with the RCM's.
CORRECTION: The 6.5 PRC is 2.95" OL, a few thousands too long for 2.88" 308 box magazine.

Last edited:
The 6.5 PRC shoots farther, flatter, and hits harder And it doesn't burn out the barrel as bad as the Creedmore.

C'mon, man. Don't skirt my question. No more mumb0-jumbo about the military. The PRC isn't based on the 7.62 'mil spec' case, SOCOM had nothing to do with the design, they just adopted it AFTER all the work was done by others. But you know that... Now, explain your BS statement that the PRC is easier on barrels than the creed. Go ahead, wax eloquent on how more powder, more pressure, more heat and more velocity, is 'easier' on barrels. This should be good....

C'mon, man. Don't skirt my question. No more mumb0-jumbo about the military. The PRC isn't based on the 7.62 'mil spec' case, SOCOM had nothing to do with the design, they just adopted it AFTER all the work was done by others. But you know that... Now, explain your BS statement that the PRC is easier on barrels than the creed. Go ahead, wax eloquent on how more powder, more pressure, more heat and more velocity, is 'easier' on barrels. This should be good....

Girls girls...you're both pretty!

No need for arguments on this thread.

There is also a 300 PRC.
You're Right, I missed the Shot Show this year ~ Hornady has been busy...
I went to their sight and read the design reports and spec's... + video, wow.
They use the same case design as the .300 RCM (2.825" OL) but with
a long high BC eld bullet (3.70" OL) ...that's longer than the 338 lapua (3.681" OL). This requires an extra long action...
Hornady R&D obviously put in some overtime on this one.
Can't wait to get the new long range ballistic charts to compare with the 300 and 338 RCMs.
Ammo will be expensive.

Hornady designed the Creedmore ~ Hornady went back to the drawing board to fix the Creedmore flaws...
The 6.5 PRC shoots farther, flatter, and hits harder And it doesn't burn out the barrel as bad as the Creedmore.

Please elaborate how a cartridge that burns more powder, and pushes the same bullet 200fps faster than the CM is going to have batter barrel life.

You're Right, I missed the Shot Show this year ~ Hornady has been busy...
I went to their sight and read the design reports and spec's... + video, wow.
They use the same case design as the .300 RCM (2.825" OL) but with
a long high BC eld bullet (3.70" OL) ...that's longer than the 338 lapua (3.681" OL). This requires an extra long action...
Hornady R&D obviously put in some overtime on this one.
Can't wait to get the new long range ballistic charts to compare with the 300 and 338 RCMs.
Ammo will be expensive.

Not the same case as the 300rcm, Fits fine in a normal long action. Ammo is already out, it's not expensive. SOS lists it at 36.99 per 20

Let's get this thread back onto OPs sweet rifle!

but it's so fun, watching her stick her foot in her mouth.....

Hey, hrnhntr... You got that scope mounted yet? What's taking you so long? We're needing a report, so quit sandbagging.

Hahahaha. Waiting on a replacement trigger from Timney. It's supposed to be here Wednesday. I'll swap the trigger and mount the scope!

On a separate note my action for the 300PRC was scheduled for a June delivery.

Same action, stock, and break. Not sure what bottom metal. Also torn on a proof carbon, or another lilja.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.