Comfortable shooting magnum caliber

SamuelBerryhill308

Formerly '308hunter26'
Looking for a magnum caliber that is still comfortable to shoot or standard caliber with good long range energy
No wild cats please and 6.5s have no grown on me yet either
Also will be shooting factory ammo to start with

Last edited:

BoomFlop

What do you consider comfortable?

What do you consider long range?

Magnum, long range, heavy for caliber and comfortable recoil (without break at least) don’t typically go together.

Your best bet would probably be a 6.5 caliber as it will produce less recoil and still provide good long range ballistics. That is why they are so popular.

Good luck,
Steve

Skimbleshanks

300 win mag and 7mm rem mag have been getting it done for a long time before brakes were common. Can still be stout but not terrible. Shoot light bullets, or use mild loads and increase your tolerance to the recoil. The big magnum revolver guys and big bore rifle guys often do this before going to full power loads.

Blackhawk

300 win mag and 7mm rem mag have been getting it done for a long time before brakes were common. Can still be stout but not terrible. Shoot light bullets, or use mild loads and increase your tolerance to the recoil. The big magnum revolver guys and big bore rifle guys often do this before going to full power loads.
With careful handloading of the 7mm Remington Magnum using say a Horandy 139 Grain SST Bullets (BC .486) and RL -22 powder form Alliant one can easily produce loads with a muzzle velocity of over 3050FPS.( consult recepie books or better yet chronograph and work up load data )
All this with manageable recoil no less. (Oh Yeah , you still know that you have touched one off , however felt recoil is nothing like the bigger magnums )
A winning combination delivering long range accuracy and power.
Will easily handle anything from Elk ,Moose, on down unless dense undergrowth and partial obscurity is encountered.
In that case wait ( as most hunters would do) if possible until a better opportunity for a shot presents itself.
OBTW you will experience a lighter recoil and consequentially faster shot recovery time using this caliber than say a 300 Win Mag. ( although I also hunt using this caliber and have a healthy respect of its formidable capabilities )

Last edited:

SamuelBerryhill308

Formerly '308hunter26'
What do you consider comfortable?

What do you consider long range?

Magnum, long range, heavy for caliber and comfortable recoil (without break at least) don’t typically go together.

Your best bet would probably be a 6.5 caliber as it will produce less recoil and still provide good long range ballistics. That is why they are so popular.

Good luck,
Steve
I've shot 50 cals and 300 wby and 300 rums before and I would not want to shoot them alot I consider comfortable a 7mm with out a brake or a 300 win mag with a brake .I just would prefer something that dont kick like a mule.also I really haven't got on the 6.5 band wagon yet I've looked alot into them but for deer size game and up 270 is as small as I would go due to personal experience.also long range to me is to how far I'm confident in shooting and that's 5 to 600 yards

Last edited:

Rusty85

LRH Team Member
Honestly any of them with a good effective brake or suppressor. I’ve got big braked magnums that 10yo children have shot with no issues. And I’m not talking about 7 mag or even 300 mags. I’ve got videos of them shooting my 30-378 and 338 edge.

djfergus

Looking for a magnum caliber that is still comfortable to shoot or standard caliber with good long range energy
No wild cats please and 6.5s have no grown on me yet either
Also will be shooting factory ammo to start with
7mm rem mag, 7mm wsm or rsaum on a long action fast twist, 7mm blazer, 7mm sst. 280, 280ai, 284 Winchester match. You will be in magnum territory with those cartridges. Shoot long heavies such as 160-180 grain bullets. Tolerable recoil. You will hardly ever be hunting over gunned or under gunned in most situations

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce