What caliber for really accurate shooting.

It seems lots of the long range varmint hunters went with fast twist 243 but the bench guys go with the 6mm's. Almost all the bench guys can shoot and break a trigger quite well... As with all the long range shooters the guy that can call and read the wind the best is usually the winner. The guy I know that has been shooting the Dasher for along time is from Missoula... If you have questions about that caliber I can put you in touch with him.....Dave

Thanks for the offer I will come over when the holidays settle down. What barrel did you use, and twist. Also you are propably just on a short action?

I used a Wby Vangard (Howa) action that started life as a .308. Then I rebarreled it to a 6mm-284 and smoked a barrel. Then I rebarreled it to 6mm br and I love it. It is a heavy barrel Krieger 8 twist with a Holland brake. The only thing I would do different is go with a lighter taper. But this was all I could get at the time quickly. So yes it is a short action. In fact I have a plan to do a make over on the rifle and turn the contour down to a .750 muzzle and restock it in a thumb hole. If I ruin the accuracy it will get a new tube in 8 twist 5C or 5R.

Jeff

Is there much to be gained over the 6br by going to the dasher or the plain 243. Or will more just be lost because of the additional speed. I am not trying to hit a given velocity just didn't know.

The 6mm br and dasher are best built off of a short action and will feed fine with the bullets seated out right?

The 6mm br and dasher are best built off of a short action and will feed fine with the bullets seated out right?

Yes they will fit in the mag box seated out but a 6 br is hard to get to feed as the fat case and long bullet out front. But it can be done. I prefer to single feed mine and will set a box of 50 next to me over a dog town and will keep up with anyone filling a mag box. While they are stuffing the mag I will still be shooting at my steady pace.

Jeff

Yes they will fit in the mag box seated out but a 6 br is hard to get to feed as the fat case and long bullet out front. But it can be done. I prefer to single feed mine and will set a box of 50 next to me over a dog town and will keep up with anyone filling a mag box. While they are stuffing the mag I will still be shooting at my steady pace.

Jeff

I was only thinking if it was used for youth deer hunts. Still one shot and we should be done right!

I was only thinking if it was used for youth deer hunts. Still one shot and we should be done right!

I never load a mag box anymore and haven't for years. I shot prone and toss a couple next to the rifle. I can eject and toss another in and close the bolt pretty darn quick. But if I guy was going to pack the rifle and shoot off hand that might be different.

All my rifle followers are so I can just toss a round in and close. No need to push the loaded round down into the box.

Jeff

I never load a mag box anymore and haven't for years. I shot prone and toss a couple next to the rifle. I can eject and toss another in and close the bolt pretty darn quick. But if I guy was going to pack the rifle and shoot off hand that might be different.

All my rifle followers are so I can just toss a round in and close. No need to push the loaded round down into the box.

Jeff

The br and the dasher both will work off just a 243 action?

Here's a link to some 6mmBr based cases, 6BR Improved Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

Wyatts sells the Br Box that is a drop in replacement in a Rem 700 short action, have not used one but it looks like the solution.

I build a little 6mmBr for my daughter, she's only 8 and she wails on the steel with it and no brake but it's built heavy. I have to check it out for her every once in a while and I end up railing of a dozen rounds just having a blast before she takes it away from me. She ran out 50 rounds at the last shoot we went to and was working over the ram at 500 meters!

I think that I will just do the dasher. I should use a 1-8 twist and shoot the 105-108 grain bullets right?

For the action I am thinking of just buying a Remington sps varmint in 243 that would cover that part. I will shoot and see if it works with a different stock while the barrel is on order. Then have is changed out to the dasher. I think that I will just put a 8-32x50 nightforce scope on it with a 20 moa rail. I have a few jewell triggers here.

So do you think that I am going wrong with this setup as far as making something shoot really good?

I think that I will just do the dasher. I should use a 1-8 twist and shoot the 105-108 grain bullets right?

For the action I am thinking of just buying a Remington sps varmint in 243 that would cover that part. I will shoot and see if it works with a different stock while the barrel is on order. Then have is changed out to the dasher. I think that I will just put a 8-32x50 nightforce scope on it with a 20 moa rail. I have a few jewell triggers here.

So do you think that I am going wrong with this setup as far as making something shoot really good?

The Dashers added 100 or so fps is a nice gain over a standard 6br with the 105 gr bullet group. I get 2820 fps out of my 6br with RL15 and a 107 SMK. It is an 8 twist. Right off the bat the 107's shot into 1 hole 5 shot groups and at $26 per 100 I didn't fight it. Then when my wife shot a 5 shot 4" group at 1000 I figured it was shooting good enough.

The difference here between the 6BR and the Dasher boils down to a little over 100 fps. But for that you will be fire forming and buying custom dies.

I would probably just look into if Rem chambered the 6br in a 700 SA. If so and you started with one of them you would have the mag box for the Dasher. Unless you are going single feed? But I kinda got the impression you wanted a usable mag box.

I would rethink the 8x32 unless you have one already. I think that is too much scope for this rifle on most days. Especially if you plan to carry it for an off hand shot at a deer like you alluded to earlier. I bet you take some gophers with this rifle and I love the IOR with the MP8 floating dot for that. If I ever get the chance to pick up an IOR gen 4 with the 25 moa top turret and 3x18x50 I will have one on mine. I think that is a perfect scope for these rifles.

I do think you are on the right track. This will be one sweet little rifle for sure and I bet you and anyone that pulls the trigger will fall in love.

Jeff

If you're going to buy a factory action get a used one. No reason to pay for a new rifle for a donor action.

I would go with a Howa made action for a few reasons. First, you'll find them cheaper. I found a Vanguard at the Bozeman gun show a couple years ago for $200.

Other reasons I like the Howa made actions...

One piece ported bolt with M16 style extractor
Integral tapered recoil lug
Flat based receiver

With the 700 you can get a Jewel trigger, but with the Howa/Vanguard you can get a Timney 3 position safety trigger. A 3 position trigger for the 700 will cost you about $125 extra for a special bolt shroud.

If you buy a new Vanguard or Howa, they have a very nice and crisp 2 stage 3 position safety trigger. Unfortunately, they will not tune down any lower than about 3 - 2 1/2 lbs. I'm looking into the possibility of modifying it because it is a very nice trigger IMO other than the pull weight. I bought a 223 Vanguard earlier this year for $469 at Sportsman's Warehouse. That's not a bad price for a donor action and a good trigger.

You can get a B&C Medalist stock for $270 plus shipping @ Stocky's.

I've recently done a couple of Howa builds and a 700 build and the 700 build was a good bit more after I did all the mods. You could do it as cheap as a Howa, but IMO, not as good a final product.

I know a good smith in Three Forks who would do a good job for you with either action and he is not booked up for a year. He could probably get it done in 3 months or less once he had all the components. I can show you pics of his work or you can actually shoot them if you want to make the trip.

I was really thinking about staying away from the dasher from the reason of forming brass. I will just get a barrel coming was thinking a 27" with a finish of .750 at the muzzle. I was only going to do the nighforce just because the zoom on long yardage small targets. Otherwise I have a few huskemaws laying around here I will just stick one of them on it.

I was only going to do the sps varmit just because I could shoot the 243 for awhile and I can get one for $575. I also think I can get a $40 mail in rebate. I have always just been a fan of the Remington and I would want a trigger 1-1.5 pounds.

I do appreciate what everyone has done to help me with this. I have only played with the big calibers until this. Thank you.

a straight .284 winchester with a throat set up to shoot the 168 to 180gn bullets.
This is now the leading cartridge in world f-class.
It ticks all your boxes.
Long barrel life.
Best balance of recoil, velocity and bc.
Accuracy can not be beat or other calibres would be number 1 in this field.
Excellent out to 1200 yards.

x1000

Or as others have said the highly respected and admired 6 br

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.