What Caliber

twshore

Me and my friend have decided to get into the sport of benchrest shooting. We have a donor Remington short action magnum and we are wondering on what caliber we are going to go with. We were thinking along the lines of a 6mm magnum based cartridge or maybe just going with a good old 300 wsm. What are y'all's opinion?

6.5 Grendel will reach out there with some awesome ballistics. Alot of people don't shoot them, for some reason, but they are a phenomenal round that stays super-sonic beyond 1000 yards, where the .308 Win drops off several hundred yards prior to that. Alot of folks use 6mmBR for Benchrest. Never shot one, but hear good things.

I think you will enjoy the 6.5 Grendel. Do some research...It will blow your mind.

You can buy aftermarket PTG bolts for about $250, or have your bolt-face filled up and re-cut for .308 bolt face. But for the money I suggest just picking up a PTG SA bolt with the 308 (standard) bolt face. You will have ALOT more options with that bolt face diameter.

Pretty sure that for benchrest, 6PPC is king at short ranges, and the 6 BR based cartridges (6 Dasher) or similar (6XC) are favored for longer ranges.

Guy at work shoots railgun, they all use 6PPC.

TWShore- You did not say what range -. for 1000 yards a 7 mmrsaum or a 7 mmwsm would be good

How far and how many rounds per year?? A 7 wsm might cook a tube pretty quick, but sure is a great short action chambering. the 300 wsm would be bettre on barrels and a bit harder on the shoulder.

I dont think there are to many good options for a mag bolt face.

I would like this too be a 1000 yard gun and would probably shoot over a thousand rounds a year. So far I figure that I'll get a ptg bolt with a 308 boltface and go with a creedmore.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.