what caliber

I am considering getting into long range hunting and shooting. I have been looking at the 300 Win. mag and the 338 Lapua. Leaning towards the 300 because brass is cheaper and could get ammo just about anywhere and cheaper. I would like to be able to harvest a deer some day at a 1000 yards. I can not seem to find if the 300 win mag is capable, thoughts, options and experience please. thanks rrh

I suggest if your not a reloader get a mentor and start. Even though factory ammo is alot better these days it's still not as good for long range as good handloads. Example I had a guy come to my shop with his gun convinced there was something wrong with it. He tried 3 different scopes before he came up I took a look at it couldn't find anything I told him o.k. shoot it (can shoot 100 at my shop) group was about 2". 300 win mag. 180 gr factory ammo first one over the crono 3175 wow fast for factory, second one 3074 ***. Then he tells me he had a couple lately that had hard bolt lift. He showed me on his phone were the exact same ammo shot 3 you could cover with a penny I told him this is not a gun issue it's a ammo issue so I went into my shop grabbed 3 other factory rounds different manufacturer and pretty cheap by the way and they shot about 5/8-3/4. I told him what changed was the ammo even though it was same manufacturer, same bullet. I guess what I'm getting at is you need consistent ammo even to shoot way less than 1,000. Doesn't matter what caliber or gun if the ammo isn't capable the gun or shooter never will.

Last edited:
I would not want to shoot a deer with a .338 lapua. I will echo that a .300 WM is capable to well beyond 1000yd from a theoretical point of view. Few rifles are, less ammo is, and even fewer shooters can do it in reality.

The 338 Lapua will likely damage your deer less then a 300 Win Mag. A big diameter bullet does not equal total meat destruction. I shot a Mule buck with my 338 Win Mag at 75 yards using a 250gr Nosler Partirion. The entrance and exit holes were about the size of a silver dollar. That is the total amount of meat damage not bullet hole size. To me that is not a meat wrecker. Usually the bigger the diameter bullet the more sturdy the bullets are made. This equals less meat damage. Small fast caliber bullets will damage more meat then large ones. This is just my opinion.

The 338 Lapua will likely damage your deer less then a 300 Win Mag. A big diameter bullet does not equal total meat destruction. I shot a Mule buck with my 338 Win Mag at 75 yards using a 250gr Nosler Partirion. The entrance and exit holes were about the size of a silver dollar. That is the total amount of meat damage not bullet hole size. To me that is not a meat wrecker. Usually the bigger the diameter bullet the more sturdy the bullets are made. This equals less meat damage. Small fast caliber bullets will damage more meat then large ones. This is just my opinion.

I agree...the bigger bullets seem tougher (to me) ....even comparing the same bullet...say a 105 Berger Hybrid, a 140 6.5 Berger hybrid, vs. a 215 30 cal Berger & 300 grain 338. I have seen many non pass through wounds and bullet recoveries where the smaller bullets did just as much damage, but with the smaller bullet comming apart and adding to the destruction. And all with similar entry speeds....at 500 yards my EDGE and my 6-47L are within 20 FPS of each other.... and both have taken multiple deer from the same small meadow. Not very scientific and a very small sample..YMMV.

Now, as far as the OP....go with the 300 Win and learn to handload. The 300 Win/Wby with the Berger 215 Hybrid is fantastic combo and has been proven in combat!! ;) The only reason I even own a 338 is because it is legel to bait here in ND and I have had bait piles set out next to my steel targets at 200, 400, 500, 600, 650, 995, 1065, and 1365 with lots of shots out to a mile....and IMO if you plan on that kind of shots a 338 is a better choice. Of course, the last 5 years of here in ND has seen hunting tags reduced by 70% and I haven't seen a tag in as long!!:mad: Out to 1000...the 300 Win Mag is PERFECT with the 210 or 215 Berger (IMO).

Just my .02,
Tod

I agree that a .300WinMag is all you need, but what does needing have to do with?:D
I'll tell you this, the .300 can be cheaper to load (notice I said "can").

These last two posts are right, size of the projectile isn't necessarily the deciding factor. The make up of the projectile matters more; along with other factors such as shot placement, impact velocity(etc). In saying that, the only example of what guys are talking about as what some would call overkill just happened to me. Shot a buck with what is apparently a very soft & quick opening bullet in a large caliber and it mangled the deer. That wasn't exactly a close shot, about 1/4 mile. Then again about the only time I've seen that much damage to a deer was with a .257 Weatherby Magnum w/ballistic tips and low & behold...a 30-06 with a 180 corelokt.
However I've shot animals with larger caliber-more heavily constructed bullets and was not impressed whatsoever with the performance.

1,000+ yard shooting magnifies the inconsistencies in ammo, bullets, powder lots, COAL, shooting form, and other variables. Handloading is pretty much a must. You wouldn't take up competitive benchrest shooting with factory ammunition, right? Same deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.