What caliber for really accurate shooting.

I was really thinking about staying away from the dasher from the reason of forming brass. I will just get a barrel coming was thinking a 27" with a finish of .750 at the muzzle. I was only going to do the nighforce just because the zoom on long yardage small targets. Otherwise I have a few huskemaws laying around here I will just stick one of them on it.

I was only going to do the sps varmit just because I could shoot the 243 for awhile and I can get one for $575. I also think I can get a $40 mail in rebate. I have always just been a fan of the Remington and I would want a trigger 1-1.5 pounds.

I do appreciate what everyone has done to help me with this. I have only played with the big calibers until this. Thank you.

Sounds like a good plan...I like high magnification for LR small targets as well. Planning on topping my new 6-284 with a 6-24 Vortex for starters then a NF 5.5-22 eventually. If it was a dedicated PD and small target shooter, I would consider the 8x32 NXS but it will be used for deer and goats occasionally. Good luck with the project!

Which one is more accurate?

My top pick is straight 284 Lapua. (You will need to purchase 6.5x284 Lapua brass and neck up to .284). That's about it.

I have 6.5x284 and it shoots very well and I prefer 7mm bullet. It balances between 6mm and 308.
It has three amazing factors, recoil, cost and BC.

I also have 6BR in trued 700P SA. It shoots very accurate and it is cheap to reload.

I suggest you get Savage because you can buy 2 or 3 prefit barrels.

6BR
7mm08
30-06
or any caliber with .473 dia

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned. You can also get Lapua brass for it. With the new powders, bullets and long action, I think it will tick all of your boxes. 6.5x55 Swede. It puts you right between the 260 and 6.5x284. I've also read that you get a little better barrel life. Don't own one, but have done a ton a research. Give it a look.

Tank

HTD....Looking at your rifle arsenal, it seems to me that your "gap" would be nicely filled by a 280 Ackley Improved. With all the 7mm Bergers on the market, plus the option of the new 150 and 168 grain LR accubonds, 1,000 yard accuracy with manageable recoil should not be a problem. Of course, I might be a bit biased on that, as I'm currently having just such a mountain rifle built with a 26" thin contour Bartlein barrel with 1:9 twist. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.