What 25 calibers are yall shooting?

I've shot 25-06s and 257 Roberts for 40+ years.....killed more deer with these calibers than all others combined.....and that's a lot. Going to be building a 25-06 Ackley soon. Great caliber and Great Deer Medicine!

Considering building a .25 something once I'm done with my 6.5 build....
Are there any short actions that are easy to get brass for?
I know 25-06 is popular but I've seen several deer lost (I know probably the shooter) but still left a bad taste with me.
I believe if I was going to plan on building a short action rifle for deer, I personally wouldn't be looking at a 25 caliber. This is just my personal opinion. If your wanting something with low recoil for deer I'm thinking that a 7mm08 would be just the ticket. Brass is plentiful and as long as you can find 308 brass, you can neck it down very easily to 7mm.
The majority of my hunting is coyotes and for that I use a 22-250 with a 55gr V-MAX Hornady ammo. And i hunt all over the midwest states.
Enjoy your build. And build what you prefer. Bullet placement is everything.

Last edited:
Whatever you build, do it on a fast twist barrel. There are now heavy for caliber/high bc bullets available and more on the way. And don't do anything until you read up on what blackjack is doing (they have a 25 saum'ish cartridge coming). My next barrel will be a 25 creed. And not bc of the creed madness, but because you can fit the 131 bjs in a short action, use lapua brass, and run them around 3000 fps. I also considered the 25x47.

25-06 in a 26" tube with 110AB and Retumbo at 3,310fps and 115 Bergers at 3,250.

Back in the late 80's, I put together a 25-7mmRM that was a good replacement for the 257Wea. But toasted the throat rather quickly so I never rebarrelled in that wildcat. Would love to see what it would have done with Retumbo and a few of the more modern powders.

I have a Sendero (old blued one) that I sent to Kirby Allen, he re-chambered to
25-06AI, Trued up bolt & Receiver, glass bedded the action. He did a great job,
it is quite a rifle now.
I had all of this done several years ago, many Antelope, Mule Deer & Whitetails have been introduced to this rifle.
My brother had his rechambered at the same time with not as much work, sounds like he will be selling his.

I have been using a stock Ruger 77 in 25-06 for over thirty years. Deer have fallen like the proverbial rock. Dead right there with the usual caveat. Location, location, location. 117-120 Sierra GMK, a case full of 4831, 3100 fps and good to go to 400 yards. This is my FAVORITE caliber for deer. I will try it on antelope this year. I have loaded some of the lighter bullets, 75 and 85 grain but get the best accuracy from the heavier bullets. It is very deadly on coyotes but I have a dedicated gun in 22-250.

Considering building a .25 something once I'm done with my 6.5 build....
Are there any short actions that are easy to get brass for?
I know 25-06 is popular but I've seen several deer lost (I know probably the shooter) but still left a bad taste with me.
I've taken several White Tail and Mule deer with my 25-06 and only had to shoot one a second time. I pulled the trigger before my breathing was right, strictly my fault. I also keep shots under 300- 350 yards.

I have had a few quarter bores throughout the years. Currently I have a Savage 112 heavy stainless fluted in 25-06, a Remington 700 classic in 257 Roberts and a blue printed 700 long action with a 1-7.5 twist Krieger in 25-284. They all shoot great. Low recoiling deer slaying machines.

I've never shot anything bigger than a deer with my .25-06 but all the deer and goats I've shot with it, with one exception, have been DRT. That one exception was a tough old she-goat... she took a mid body double lunger, complete through and through and still ran over a 1/4 mile, thankfully in the typical half circle so she came almost right back to me before dying, bleeding like a water-hose the whole time. There as a solid line of blood for the whole track if you followed it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts