What does yalls cold bore shoot like?

Tvaughan1

I'm just curious to see how everyone's cold bore shoots compared to a warm bore and what do you consider "cold bore" thanks guys!

My 5R throws them about 1-1.25" high at 100yards. My other rifles don't seem to have a notiacable change.

Yeah the only difference I notice is my .223, shoots about 2 min low and then it's spot on. If I heat the barrel up pretty hot and wait about 10 mins before I shoot again, it does the same thing

One things for sure, that's the only shot that counts the most !

+1

There are two types of rifles, those that move the first shot. and those that don't.

I have both types and treat them differently for hunting.

For those that don't move from the Zero, when I check them the first shot is what I use as the zero
and it is ready to go.

The rifles that need a fouling shot to settle in to the group/zero, I zero first and clean while I am at the range. Then I fire one shot, and dry patch only (To remove the powder fouling) and it is ready to go hunting. when done this way the first cold bore shot is spot on.

With the stainless barrels I can leave the barrel in this state for most of the season unless it Gets wet. with the chrome moly barrels I may leave them this way for a couple of weeks as long as conditions are good before I clean it.

When I do have to clean in the field before it is shot, I shoot it after the clean, and dry patch it just like at the range and find that the cold bore shot is still spot on without going to the range.

Just the way I deal with this issue.

J E CUSTOM

When I hunt the Rockies in late October, all of my shots are cold bore, as in freezing cold bore.

Same here in Montana ...

Below is the last cold bore shot at 200 yards out of my .270 AI (30" SS Lilja 1:8" 3G #6 contour on my .270 AI propelling the Matrix 175 VLD at 2993 FPS (my current accuracy load)) before calling it good for the 2014 season.

200yardscoldboreshot_zps0457c291.jpg

It harvested a young muley buck at 311 yards ...

1103140938a_zpsaec59d74.jpg

1103140915a_zpsfbc5f01d.jpg

Cheers!

Ed

My remington varmint usually hits left about a half to quaternary moa on first shot with burgers and sierra. Now cheap ammo I don't know because my rifle only likes top grade stuff I have found.

I don't consider a hunting rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA including the first cold bore shot Squirrley. and
especially after the cold bore shot, if it will keep 5 shots under 1/10th MOA.

Firing one fouling shot to eliminate the 1/2 MOA flier seems like the thing to do to assure a perfect shot. This takes away any doubts about who didn't do there part.

All barrels have their preferred condition to shoot there best. Perfectly clean, slightly fouled or fouled
(Seasoned) and a person should know his barrel likes and get the best out of it.

A good hunting rifle should shoot under 1 MOA with the 1st through the 3rd shots, and everything after that is a bonus. Most will degrade at some point and the group will open up. as long as it stays 1 MOA or better it is not a problem for many. I like my rifles to shoot there best at all times, so I do what is necessary to keep them shooting that way. And if it means shooting a fouling shot, so be it.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Just to clarify, are we talking cold bore as in the first shot in a string of shots, or clean bore as in the first shot after cleaning a rifle? Seems we have two different takes on here. I consider cold bore the first shot out of a rifle before it starts to heat up. I generally think of cold bore as not just after a cleaning when conducting a fouling process. I'm pretty lucky in that my cold bore shots are all right with the rest of my string.

I also shoot fouling shots after I clean, but on custom barrels I go 300-500 rounds before accuracy and velocity degradation, so do not clean often unless things get wet. My fouling shots can be a couple inches off my normal cold bore shot, so I always foul at least 2-3 shots before hunting season or a match with a freshly cleaned gun. I've had to pull off into NF land on the way to a match, and shoot a quick 3 shots into an embankment real fast just to foul before the first shot at a match. Lucky I did as the first stage was over 1K and don't think I would have had a first round hit without doing that.

Just to clarify, are we talking cold bore as in the first shot in a string of shots, or clean bore as in the first shot after cleaning a rifle? Seems we have two different takes on here. I consider cold bore the first shot out of a rifle before it starts to heat up. I generally think of cold bore as not just after a cleaning when conducting a fouling process.

+1

After the fouling shot, it can be days or weeks before it is shot. (Cold bore) I should have said cold bore fouling shot.

J E CUSTOM

Mackay Sagebrush

NOTE FROM LEN

Mackay, you are totally out of order and are violating the LRH rules about attacks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.