Cold bore shooting/ Clean barrel

Hunting season is coming up and we will see how my methods works out when there are animals to shoot. :D Or the curious can go back to past hunting seasons and see how it worked out for me in the past.

My normal hunting rifles are so over bore that if I get 500 rounds of accurate barrel life I will count it a good thing and if I get more then that is just extra gravy. My issues are carbon ring and throat erosion. Copper running over stainless steel at high speed is the least of my issues.
Thank you for making my point.

Some of us don't have unlimited budgets nor the desire to replace a barrel every 500 rounds.

At one time I had a rifle which would need cleaning after 10-12 rounds were fired. This gun would shoot bungholes and after 12 rounds it would open up. I always would clean the bore and fire a fouling shot. The next shot was always on. When I ran patches I never took 100% of the copper out of the barrel . I heard a barrel maker say to leave a small amount of copper. The barrel would shoot better and if you cleaned down to steel you were just wearing the barrel out quicker. And with the primers and powder you have today you should have no worry, But I have some 308 machine gun rounds that I always clean .nasty buggers.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.