What does yalls cold bore shoot like?

Don't know or care about what was said but Len doesn't need to put up with any nonsense with personal attacks, the idea is to share ideas and experiences... X em' out !

Cold bore is just that, the first shot out of the rifle after at least a few hours if not days. A fowler is shot from a clean bore. As already stated some rifles prefer clean bores(I haven't owned one), some one fowler seems to be enough(all my varmint rifles are this way), some like to be a little more dirty(my long range rifles seem to be this way). I would not own a rifle that will not shoot at least the first three shots from a cold fowled bore under .5 moa.

Cold bore is just that, the first shot out of the rifle after at least a few hours if not days. A fowler is shot from a clean bore. As already stated some rifles prefer clean bores(I haven't owned one), some one fowler seems to be enough(all my varmint rifles are this way), some like to be a little more dirty(my long range rifles seem to be this way). I would not own a rifle that will not shoot at least the first three shots from a cold fowled bore under .5 moa.
I've never owned a rifle that shot better with a clean bore or that didn't change cold bore POI considerably after a few foulers.

As a rule after thoroughly cleaning a rifle I will always put 3 foulers through it before sighting it in.

It sounds like you have never owned a rifle that shot cold bore in the group. I've only owned one that wouldn't and it was sold.

I also fire fouling shots from a cleaned barrel. After that, my rifles must place their shots into my spec group for cold bore and subsequent shots. I generally leave that rifle, that may see 50-100 shots for the season, uncleaned unless subjected to harsh weather. If I can't get my LRH rifle to do that and hold zero, I either rebarrel, or it's gone.

I also fire fouling shots from a cleaned barrel. After that, my rifles must place their shots into my spec group for cold bore and subsequent shots. I generally leave that rifle, that may see 50-100 shots for the season, uncleaned unless subjected to harsh weather. If I can't get my LRH rifle to do that and hold zero, I either rebarrel, or it's gone.
I'm pretty much the same way. I want my rifles to hold MOA or better for 3 quick shots because in reality that's all you will generally get on a game animal in the field in most circumstances.

The exception to that rule is my varmint/predator rigs. I've burned up 3 .220 Swifts and one .204 Ruger on prairie dogs because when I get into a big prairie dog town I tend to lose most anything resembling self discipline.

It sounds like you have never owned a rifle that shot cold bore in the group. I've only owned one that wouldn't and it was sold.
Not if you actually read what I wrote.

Like you after a thorough cleaning I fire fouling shots so that when shooting cold bore after that my POI doesn't shift. Like you stated I've never owned a rifle that didn't shift POI after fouling.

Ok but I read again and it seems you are saying you have never owned a rifle that didn't change cold bore impact. Your second statement is more clear to me. I do believe we are on the same page. If you are taking 1000 yd shots you must know where your bullets are going to hit or it's not ethical. The one rifle I sold due to it not keeping the cold bore shot in the group was still shooting .75 with the cold bore shot. That is not good enough to staying in my cabinet. We all have different wants/needs.

Ok but I read again and it seems you are saying you have never owned a rifle that didn't change cold bore impact. Your second statement is more clear to me. I do believe we are on the same page. If you are taking 1000 yd shots you must know where your bullets are going to hit or it's not ethical. The one rifle I sold due to it not keeping the cold bore shot in the group was still shooting .75 with the cold bore shot. That is not good enough to staying in my cabinet. We all have different wants/needs.
I was agreeing with you picking up where you left off and playing off of your ball.

Like you I understand the difference between "clean bore" and "cold bore" and noticed that there seemed to be some confusion on that point in some of the other posts in this thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.