What 25 calibers are yall shooting?

I had a Texican build a 25/06 custom on a 700 action and McMillen stock.

12 twist shilen barrel, 26", on a #4 contour. The gunsmith gave me the loads with two bullets that had speed and accuracy that was unbelievable to say the least:

a. 100g Sierra spt flat base only due to the 12 twist, using R#25 and Fed 215
Shot bug holes with no pressure signs at 3600 fps, accuracy was in the 2's

b. 117g Sierra semi point flat base, r#25 at 3300 fps, accuracy was in the 4's, this load was very close to a max load for the barrel.

I had owned several mark IV's and Vangaurd factory 257 Weatherby rifles that had the same velocity.

This lead me to custom 257 Weatherby's, brass made from Winchester 7 Mag brass and reamer to match from PTG. 100's at 3850 and 115's at 3350 were the norm. Using a muzzle break these loads above killed like a thunder bolt and you could actually see the water fly off a deer's hide at bullet impact.

Next was a custom 7 STW with short freebore shooting 120g Ballistic tips and TTSX at 3850 with R#22 and 7828, and the 140g Combined Tec and TTSX at 3650. Winchester quit making good brass.

I just built a custom 257 Roberts and it shoots great, I can put 3, 100gr Speer HCSP into a dime size circle at 100yds or 3, 115gr, Nosler Partitions into a nickel size circle at 100 yds.

I have a Ruger heavy barrel in a 25-06 that I took to British
Columbia a while back,my friends laughed at me saying its too heavy.I told them they were just out of shape.Second day up in mountain we seen big horn sheep a good ways away. They all said no way their guns would take it down but, I knew what my gun was capable of. I rested my gun on a large rock and steadly fired while they gazed thru there scopes.I shot and thought I had actually missed but to my effort the sheep took two steps and went down.Never felt so relieved in all my life,My buddies still to this day talk about it.So you can kinda guess what I think of a 25-06.

3600 fps with a 115 gr bullet!!! Yowzzza!! Hope you're not ever occupying a bench next to me at the range! :(
I wouldn't judge unless you know the cartridge and its capabilities. That's ballistically nearly identical to a .257 Wby. I'm not the only one either. Lots of .25-06 AI shooters are getting around those velocities with the right powders.

I like your thinking! And you paid attention (he is looking for a SHORT action .25 caliber option.) But a search for .25 WSSM brass showed that every place that even listed it (and there weren't a lot of them) had it 'backordered' or 'out-of-stock'. Maybe that's just a temporary unavailability issue?
Not likely...As Winchester even stopped brass and ammo production years ago. That cartridge took a dirt nap and hasn't ever come back. Unless someone like ADG or Nosler starts making brass for it, doubt it will ever make a comeback. There are some folks out there selling "WSSM" brass from modified WSM brass.

I've got a custom 25/284 up for sale, not because there is any thing wrong with it it's only because I'm in a financial pickle at the moment. Solid gun, built off a Ruger flatbolt action.

Do you know if anyone is making a full length sizing dies for the 257 PRC?

I would assume that it's the same as the 25 Creed dies. Get a full length bushing sizing die from Redding (or whoever your go to die maker is), change out the neck bushing to appropriate size and the expander button to 257, and voila, you've got FL 257 (25) PRC dies.

Considering building a .25 something once I'm done with my 6.5 build....
Are there any short actions that are easy to get brass for?
I know 25-06 is popular but I've seen several deer lost (I know probably the shooter) but still left a bad taste with me.
The 257DGR is a wildcat, but uses 260 Rem brass, one pass through the FL die and ready to shoot ammo. I have data available, only thing is all the current data is with 10 twist barrels. We are currently doing an 8 twist to shoot some 130-140gr rebated BT bullets from Canada. I have successfully harvested over 150 deer with a 25 caliber round and have never one hit properly run more that 50 yards, usually drt.

Considering building a .25 something once I'm done with my 6.5 build....
Are there any short actions that are easy to get brass for?
I know 25-06 is popular but I've seen several deer lost (I know probably the shooter) but still left a bad taste with me.
I

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.