Comfortable shooting magnum caliber

7mm rem mag, 7mm wsm or rsaum on a long action fast twist, 7mm blazer, 7mm sst. 280, 280ai, 284 Winchester match. You will be in magnum territory with those cartridges. Shoot long heavies such as 160-180 grain bullets. Tolerable recoil. You will hardly ever be hunting over gunned or under gunned in most situations
I've been researching the 7mm mag and 7mm wsm and I really like the 280ai but only draw back is I dont reload right now and not many factory ammo options I do plan to start reloading but shopping around for good deal on supply's now

300 RUM is your best LR hunting cartridge with factory ammo, I've been hunting with it since it first appeared, hot handloads tailored for each hunt, testing different powders/bullets and never had a muzzle brake and any of them, still have two rifles in bare bones factory form, an SPS and an LSS model that absolutely loves the factory Barnes 190 gr LRX ammo and the Nosler 180 gr factory stuff, take your belongings out of her handbag and go shooting, no guff .. ha

can take every animal on the planet with that ammo minus a handful of African dangerous game

I've been researching the 7mm mag and 7mm wsm and I really like the 280ai but only draw back is I dont reload right now and not many factory ammo options I do plan to start reloading but shopping around for good deal on supply's now
I don't know what your budget is but I think Savage makes a 280ai. Copper Creek makes 280ai loaded ammunition with around 6-8 selections. I do hand load but I've had good results with copper Creek ammo. I'm personally like the old 7mm rem mag just fine. Copper Creek has 10 different selections for ammo in 7mm rem mag. There's a plethora of factory long range rifles Chambered in 7mm rem mag.

I've shot 50 cals and 300 wby and 300 rums before and I would not want to shoot them alot I consider comfortable a 7mm with out a brake or a 300 win mag with a brake .I just would prefer something that dont kick like a mule.also I really haven't got on the 6.5 band wagon yet I've looked alot into them but for deer size game and up 270 is as small as I would go due to personal experience.also long range to me is to how far I'm confident in shooting and that's 5 to 600 yards
Okay thanks I've looked hard at 280ai but not many factory load options and 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag are at top of my list as far as 6.5 calibers go I just cant seem to catch on to them
Oh baby!
Just you fire a couple of shots downrange and experience a whole nother dimension !
I was unimpressed as to the 6.5 Creedmoor Cartridge until I fired a buddy's rifle using 129 grain Interlock Horandy Factory hunting Ammunition. ( NOT MY FIRST CHOICE OF HUNTING BULLET).

Well I must have been struck by lightening right then and there !
Off hand, mind you in a new target @100 yards was a beautiful sub MOA, 3 shot group .( actually measurement of just below 3/4" )
I picked up one of the 6.5 Creedmoor brass hulls and placed it in my safe as a reminder.
of this day.
Needless to say that the pesky brass case cloned from a shell casing that I left inside my safe overnight mind you into a full blown rifle. ( How could this be? )
Over the next 2 months it happened again and when the next time I opened the safe low and behold , I am now the proud recipient of 2 rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. ( Imagine That ! )
All puns aside, please do not overlook this caliber, and give it more consideration.
Final Words:
After all, so many subscribers to this wonderful web site, as well as the vast amount of hunters and competition shooters using the 6.5 Creedmoor Cartridge's can't all be mistaken about this caliber and its capabilities !

Last edited:
Oh baby!
Just you fire a couple of shots downrange and experience a whole nother dimension !
I was unimpressed as to the 6.5 Creedmoor until I fired a buddy's using 129 grain Interlock Horandy Factory hunting Ammunition. ( NOT MY FIRST CHOICE OF HUNTING BULLET).

Well I must have been struck by lightening right then and there !
Off hand mind you in a new target @100 yards was a beautiful sub MOA, 3 shot group.
I picked up one of the 6.5 Creedmoor brass hulls and placed it in my safe as a reminder.
Needless to say that the pesky caliber cloned from a shell casing that I left inside my safe overnight mind you into a full blown rifle.
Over the next 2 months it happened again and when I opened the safe I was the proud recipient of 2 rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.
All puns aside please do not overlook this caliber, and give it more consideration.
Final Words
After all, so many subscribers to this wonderful web site, can't all be mistaken about this caliber and its capabilities !
I appreciate your input I will have to give it some more thought my thang is energy and bullet size? And exit hole size for blood trails (if need be)

A comfortable magnun...hmmmm! Don't laugh but a 375 H&H might do the trick for you. It's recoil is much more like a strong push vs a hard slam and it will ring steel at 1000 yards.

Why not 25 lbs?

Come on, don't be crazy! :) I was joking about 22 lbs. When I was racing someone told me you can build bike cheap, fast or reliable. Pick two!

With rifles you get power, weight, or comfort (recoil or noise from brake). Same thing, pick two! And I'm sure I'm not the first to say something similar to this.

I've shot 50 cals and 300 wby and 300 rums before and I would not want to shoot them alot I consider comfortable a 7mm with out a brake or a 300 win mag with a brake .I just would prefer something that dont kick like a mule.also I really haven't got on the 6.5 band wagon yet I've looked alot into them but for deer size game and up 270 is as small as I would go due to personal experience.also long range to me is to how far I'm confident in shooting and that's 5 to 600 yards

Not trying to talk you into something you don't want, but a 6.5 PRC has more energy at 500 yards than a .270 win...or a .30-06 for that matter. Significantly more velocity expected and better penetration at those ranges too.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/6.5-prc-143-gr-eld-x-precision-hunter#!/

The advantages of the 6.5 PRC only get more pronounced the farther out you go from there.

I'd you're still unconvinced, I recommend the .280ai or one of the lighter WSMs. 7mm if you handload, .270 if you don't.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.