Sell me on a short action magnum caliber

On a short action the WSM will be limited. It works, don't get me wrong, but if you want to use long high BC bullets, you're going to have to shove them pretty deep. I'd stick with a SAUM or, if you're feeling like a true short action magnum, go with the Sherman short line.

I currently have a 270SS, a 25SST, and am building a 338SS. Yes it's a little more $ up front, but usually has brass in stock, which isn't all that common nowadays! It also "fits" better in a SA with the longer bullets.

I am having a 300 wsm 24" built on defiance xm action, throated for 215 berger in mind for elk. It depends on what you want this rifle to do, if for deer a 6.5 cartridge would be on the top of my list. I have a 6.5 SAUM and it shoots the 147/143 hornday amazingly.
I have a 270 wsm and the best bullet I have found is the berger 170 eol so you are limited on the currently available high b.c bullets in the .277 class. More will probably come out due to the interest in the 6.8 western.
A .284 class would be the best bet in my opinion. Should be able to spin up a high 180 class bc bullet no problem. 7 SAUM, 7-270WSM (brass availability over the 7 wsm) or 7SS with the ADG brass would all be good choices.

X2 on the XM action, if you don't already have a SA. I have a 300WSM as well (throated for the 200.20x) and the XM lets the WSM sing. With a 3.2" COAL it's hard to beat. Whatever you go with I'd have it cut for a Wyatt's extended at least. 2.84" vs 2.95". Allows you to the lands at a minimum.

Doing a build shortly. I've got my eye on 3 calibers so far. 7saum, 270 wsm, 6.5wsm.

what else should I look at?

I'm wanting this for a compact backpacking rifle. Barrel no larger than 24" preferably 22"

thanks
Since you're in Idaho I'm going to assume elk is on the priority list. So I'll vote for the 300 WSM, though a 7 SAUM will do well also.

It really depends on the OP's priorities. Will he be hunting long range? Will he be concentrating on elk? This being a LR forum we all have "long range" in the back of our minds. But I know many hunters out here in the PacNW that hunt elk and don't always go for the long shot. My buddy has shot a bunch of elk out here Oregon, he used a 308 Win for the bulk of his elk. Out near where I am at a 600 yard shot might be the closest I will get. Even there a slower 215 Hybrid will do the job.

I am building a 7 wsm because with a 26" pipe and 180 eldms I will have enough power to kill an elk at 1000 yards. This is with a savage sa and should fit in a standard aics magazine. This is all going off of others peoples load data. But that is what I am hoping for. I think there is no better cartridge for long range hunting in the same recoil class. Just my opinion don't get mad people.