Sell me on a barrel

coyotelite

im going to do my first build. Trying to choose a barrel. Im building a 7-300 and I want a 27" spiral fluted barrel. Which manufacturer and why? Go!!

Last edited:
Plug for Lilja. No experience with anyone else's barrels, and I expect that all of the big name makers are about equal, but Lilja was a pleasure to work with. Also, was just on their site-I think they have your barrel in stock ? Not certain, maybe check it out. Good luck. My build was a lot of fun.

I have had great luck with Brux. Maybe looking at X caliber barrels on the next build because Ive heard good things and the price is right.

google "what the pros use barrels." Precision Rifle Blog does a survey of top shooters. They win by insanely small margins, so they're picky. PRB lists everything from top actions, barrels, and stocks, all the way down to powder and primers.

Long story short:
#1 is Bartlein
#2 is Hawkhill (huge gains in a short period of time)

But, neither do spiral fluting... So, you'll have to ship it off and have it done after the fact. You'll get some strong opinions against doing it that route (fluting after rifling).

Lilja does spiral fluting, so you can get it all done by one shop. Edited: ER Shaw (not Shilen) does spiral fluted barrels.

Any of the top barrel makers produce amazing barrels. For a hunting rifle, you'd likely never know a difference. You can lose your mind with the options and spend hours researching. 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 grove. 5R, 5C, Polygonal? Button rifling or cut rifling?

I'd go to bugholes.com or redhawkrifles.com and buy something they have in stock that fits your barrel profile and twist needs and ship to Kampfeld Custom for spiral flutes. Or, order one from Lilja.

I have a 28 Nosler with a Lilja, spiral fluted barrel (done by lilja). Very, very, nice.

For spiral fluting other brands:
http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/

Last edited:
What would be best is to know what bullet you are going to shoot, what purpose you have for the rifle and any other particulars so a better suggestion can be made. Some barrel manufacturers make barrels that shoot better with different combinations. Example in your situation is if you are shooting 140-160 gr bullets or the berger 195. Give the members more info and we can make a better suggestion.

It may come down to what are you able to buy !!! Some of these companies I swar work at snails pace with a crutch.... All are leaps and bounds better than any $7.00 factory barrel ...certain. Calibers and twists will cause you to spend some time waiting... I myself have have great luck with Hart barrels, don't hear much about them these days but they are usually available.

Shillen does too. I don't think they're going to to be a top recommendation on here (shillen).
If you flute a shilen barrel it voids there warranty, that being said I have a spiral fluted barrel that is one of the most accurate barrels I have. I believe if it's properly stress relieved and not to deep there should be no problem. If you need some fluting done check out Paul at proprecision rifles I've had him do a couple lately for me and his machining is second to none.

Last edited:
If you trust your smith enough to do the work you should also trust his opinion on the barrel. More than likely he has considerable experience with barrels and has chosen his favorites for a reason. I like to stick to only a few brands that I have come to trust and are good to deal with. Same with other components like actions.

If you trust your smith enough to do the work you should also trust his opinion on the barrel. More than likely he has considerable experience with barrels and has chosen his favorites for a reason. I like to stick to only a few brands that I have come to trust and are good to deal with. Same with other components like actions.

Agreed! My last 2 builds was with Lilja 3-groove barrels and I am extremely pleased with them. I am fortunate to have access to a few gun builders with in an hour's drive. I have been working with my go to gun builder since 2003 and have established a good working relationship and trust his opinions/recommendations. As you noted, he has a list of barrel preferences and Lilja was one of them. I wanted to support my local economy (made in Montana products) as much as possible.

Just wondering what the spiral fluting is for? Are you going to shoot long strings and/or need the weight savings , or is it for the "cool factor"?

Now...this is coming from a guy who just HAD to have a Brux "interupted " fluted bbl on his 338 EDGE hunting rifle that will NEVER shoot long strings and will NEVER be used as a carry gun.....so no judgement here!!:D Just think with special fluting you are taking some of the TOP BBL makers out of the picture.

Tod

I been running only Bartlien in my precision and hunting rifles forever.
This year I built 2 new hunting rifles, a 6 creed and a 6.5x284 with Proof carbon wrapped barrels dropped in Manners EH1 stocks.
These 2 rifles are the best shooting rifles I own. When I take the 6 creed out, I always come back amazed how well it shoots.
Im sold on Proof. I cant wait to try a med palma in one of my precision rifles come re barrel time.

Just wondering what the spiral fluting is for? Are you going to shoot long strings and/or need the weight savings , or is it for the "cool factor"?

Now...this is coming from a guy who just HAD to have a Brux "interupted " fluted bbl on his 338 EDGE hunting rifle that will NEVER shoot long strings and will NEVER be used as a carry gun.....so no judgement here!!:D Just think with special fluting you are taking some of the TOP BBL makers out of the picture.

Tod
It's the look. I love the look of the spiral fluted. The weight savings are an added bonus.

What would be best is to know what bullet you are going to shoot, what purpose you have for the rifle and any other particulars so a better suggestion can be made. Some barrel manufacturers make barrels that shoot better with different combinations. Example in your situation is if you are shooting 140-160 gr bullets or the berger 195. Give the members more info and we can make a better suggestion.
I'll be running the Berger 195. This rifle will be an extended range rifle. I've reached the potential of my factory riflesand want to reach out further for deer, elk, bear and coyotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts