Sell me on a short action magnum caliber

I have opted for the additional 2 ounces of a long action in my last 3 "short action" builds. The additional 2 ounces is not noticed, but the additional room to seat bullets long and have room in the box is priceless. 6.5 or 7mm, SS, SAUM or Max are all great for light, packable rifles. I don't have a WSM, but it would work too. I heard ADG is going to produce WSM brass, which takes away a big handicap.

SAUM, Sherman, WSM, or PRC. I'd run any with a wyatts in a trad stock or go a 308 mag with no binder plate.

Example. My big horn short action handles my 6.5 PRC at 2.950 coal without issue. I run a aics 308 no binder mag and it holds 4 PRC cases. The PRC is plenty capable of running a 150 class at 3000. The others may get you an additional 50-100. The WSM likely will be higher end, its a big case. I am currently running a 22" barrel but have an 18" that will go on later this year. In the 22" :153 A Tips at 2960. 156 eol at 2900. 143 at 3020. 140 at 3050. 135 at 3100. I like the 135 A tip and been running that for a while. At 3100 the 135 at idaho elevations is no joke.

On a short action the WSM will be limited. It works, don't get me wrong, but if you want to use long high BC bullets, you're going to have to shove them pretty deep. I'd stick with a SAUM or, if you're feeling like a true short action magnum, go with the Sherman short line.

I currently have a 270SS, a 25SST, and am building a 338SS. Yes it's a little more $ up front, but usually has brass in stock, which isn't all that common nowadays! It also "fits" better in a SA with the longer bullets.
The solution to the short action long bullet problem is to build your gun on a tikka action. Just use a 7 mag as a donor rifle for the action and chamber the rifle in a 7 SAUM or similar or even 300 WSM.

I have a 7 SAUM in a long action and just finished a 6.5 PRC in a Defiance ANTI XM medium action. I am super impressed with the Defiance XM ANTI action and would highly recommend looking into it. Love the 7 SAUM and 6.5 PRC.

It really depends on the OP's priorities. Will he be hunting long range? Will he be concentrating on elk? This being a LR forum we all have "long range" in the back of our minds. But I know many hunters out here in the PacNW that hunt elk and don't always go for the long shot. My buddy has shot a bunch of elk out here Oregon, he used a 308 Win for the bulk of his elk. Out near where I am at a 600 yard shot might be the closest I will get. Even there a slower 215 Hybrid will do the job.
300wsm or 7saum I used both great success.

300wsm or 7saum I used both great success.
Many have. My point is it all depends on the OP's criteria. So far he said his priority is a "compact backpacking rifle. Barrel no larger than 24" preferably 22"". My Model 70 FWT 30-06 fits that description.

go Xm action if you don't already have it. When building my 2 6.5 PRCs the math shows it's not a SA cartridge if you are planning on shooting the long heavies. I went with a Stiller/BDL XM action on one & Defiance mag fed XM action on the other. I've never looked back. Barrels throated for 156 EOLs.

IF, you can handle, a little Extra Recoil and want, 1,000 Yard, "Elk Capable" try, the .270 WSM with, a 1-8 or 1-8.5 Twist, 24 or 25 inch Barrel, a good long Action, like the Tikka with, an appropriate magazine and shoot, the SLEEK, 165 to 170's as,..
several, Choices, are available, NOW !
Should be, SUB 8 pounds with, the right Scope and IF, you copy, the Tikka Barrel Contour ! I really like, my .270 WSM, Tikka T-3, SS, 24" using, the 140 grain, Berger Classic Hunters @ 3,185 FPS ( Sub 1/2 MOA ) and 7 pounds, 10 Ounces, "all up" !
IF, going to 7mm Bullets do, the 7mm-.270 WSM just "Neck up" .270 WSM Brass, as finding 7 WSM Brass is,.. TOUGH !
You couldn't PAY me, to build, a 6.5 "anything", right NOW as, Bullets and some Brass, are pretty much,.. UN-obtain'um !

Last edited:
Doing a build shortly. I've got my eye on 3 calibers so far. 7saum, 270 wsm, 6.5wsm.

what else should I look at?

I'm wanting this for a compact backpacking rifle. Barrel no larger than 24" preferably 22"

thanks
Nowadays, you have to look at what brass, bullets, primers n dies are available.
You might have to secure the brass - even before the chosen rifle build! :D
Example: Click on links and scroll down.

MORE

Last edited:
The only build I have ever regretted is a short action magnum. I would suggest pay the price in a few ounces and go long action.
What caliber did you build? I've had awesome luck with my 300 saum and a 300 wsm. Both tack drivers. I was even contemplating making a 65 GAP but I really have no need because I have a 65 - 300 wby.