Borescope Images - Help me identify...

Thanks again for all the great feedback and support on the learning front.

I will take more before/during/after pics when the proper chemicals arrive from Midway. Ordered kroil and wipeout to try first. Also have kg12 and a slew of boretech in house that have previously been used

Let's not get in a war on cleaners here. A blank statement of wipe out being a waste of money is a rediculous statement and polarizing to the group. I use wipe out with the accelerator with great success. I also use bore tec and sweets and JB.
I also think everybody that is a gun enthusiast should own a bore scope. Makes copper and carbon visible so you know where to keep cleaning. Also shows you throat erosion. Rust or gouged areas are all easy to see. Never buy another used rifle with out having it with me.
I can't believe how much erosion the 300prs had so quick. No way to guess any of that because there are so many variables that add up.
Shep

Curious.....are there any type of rubber plugs(or any thing...maybe a heavy felt plug) a person can buy and shove down into the barrel...so a person can fill the area needing the cleaning with a solvent....let it soak really well....
I accomplish it by saturating a patch and leaving it plugged into the chamber and add a few more drops of solvent down the bore.

Let's not get in a war on cleaners here. A blank statement of wipe out being a waste of money is a rediculous statement and polarizing to the group. I use wipe out with the accelerator with great success. I also use bore tec and sweets and JB.
I also think everybody that is a gun enthusiast should own a bore scope. Makes copper and carbon visible so you know where to keep cleaning. Also shows you throat erosion. Rust or gouged areas are all easy to see. Never buy another used rifle with out having it with me.
I can't believe how much erosion the 300prs had so quick. No way to guess any of that because there are so many variables that add up.
Shep
I'm thinking the erosion may not be as bad as it looks once all the carbon is removed. We'll see? This will hopefully be a very helpful thread for folks

I'm thinking the erosion may not be as bad as it looks once all the carbon is removed. We'll see? This will hopefully be a very helpful thread for folks
I think you are correct because I did some before after cleaning videos and noticed what I thought was fire cracking go away after a thorough cleaning. I'm definitely learning a lot also since getting a borescope

Curious.....are there any type of rubber plugs(or any thing...maybe a heavy felt plug) a person can buy and shove down into the barrel...so a person can fill the area needing the cleaning with a solvent....let it soak really well....

You can buy chamber plugs from Midway USA that are steel with a rubber o-ring , that are made in a variety of sizes for common cartridges such as belted-magnums , .308/.30-06 diameter cases , .220 Swift , and others . I don't know if they offer one for .300PRC .
I remove the stock , lightly lube the o-ring and push the plug up into the chamber with my finger , and I leave the bolt out , just in case of some leakage . Stand the action and barrel upright , muzzle up , in a bucket just in case of leakage , and add solvent to whatever depth that you choose .
Use a carbon-fiber or coated cleaning rod to remove plug .

DMP25-06

I like KG carbon remover and the copper cleaner works well but it has cyanide in it so should be used as their directions advise . With the KG carbon remover I use a moldex pura-fit 6800 ear plug roll it up good and drop it into and onto my cleaning rod for what ever depth I need it to be . It will absorb the carbon solvent and swell up but can be pushed out with your rod . When I fill the whole barrel with solvent on my 30-06 it only takes about an ounce and a half .

You can buy chamber plugs from Midway USA that are steel with a rubber o-ring , that are made in a variety of sizes for common cartridges such as belted-magnums , .308/.30-06 diameter cases , .220 Swift , and others . I don't know if they offer one for .300PRC .
I remove the stock , lightly lube the o-ring and push the plug up into the chamber with my finger , and I leave the bolt out , just in case of some leakage . Stand the action and barrel upright , muzzle up , in a bucket just in case of leakage , and add solvent to whatever depth that you choose .
Use a carbon-fiber or coated cleaning rod to remove plug .

DMP25-06

Sinclair used to make those, too - and they work GREAT. I used to stand the barreled action up in a cottage cheese tub, and soak the bore overnight. This was eons ago, and I have not had to do that since I started using Wipe-Out to get the bore clean. Since the chamber plugs don't have a neck on them, that area of the chamber will be full of solvent, just like the throat and the rest of the bore. You will be directly soaking the area that shows the ring in the photos. I think it's just a matter of selecting the preferred solvent for these copper deposits at this point. Good luck !!!

Question? Of the 120 rounds, how many rounds in succession? Did you check the bbl temp during any of your range time outings?. Did the bbl overheat. I don't know what the life expectancy is on a 300PRC but that sure looks like heat fatigue/stress to me. IMHO

Last edited:
I'm seeing one firecracked plaza o' gatorskin. Looks like that barrel is either cooked or just about there. The streak is, I think, the rifling but it's been eroded down to non-existence. Borescopes, IMHO, should not be owned/used by people that don't know how to interpret the results. It just ends up with a lot of unnecessary hand wringing and it's not like you can fix anything you find short of replacement.
I recently purchased a Teslong Borescope and regretfully there is not a library of images on google to compare my barrels to. Please provide any and all feedback on what I am seeing in the below images. I am intentionally leaving out round counts on the barrels to not bias anyone's answers. Thanks in advance for the help and education!

View attachment 163093 View attachment 163094 View attachment 163096
To me, I wouldn't need an expert to interpret the view of that barrel. It seems that anyone could see a damaged bore and realize they need help or a new barrel. I personally would want to know even if I couldn't fix myself. I think I would reach out to people in the know and ask their opinion and help. I think I would rather know the barrel is damaged than try and try to improve an inaccurate gun not knowing the problem. Bore scopes will someday possibly be almost be a necessity. Just sayin'

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.