Whats My Borescope Telling Me

Tiny Tim

After attempting to zero in a friend's 1994 Remington semi-auto 30-06, I ran the borescope down the barrel. Hadn't thought to do so prior to shooting because it appeared to be so well oiled and maintained.

Took about 6 shots for the barrel to start to settle down and then about the best I could do was 3 inches at 100 yds. Multiple 3 shot groups (as I was adjusting the Leupold scope) would have two about an inch apart and one flier, but never in the same order. All groups were about the same shape ( 2 close together and one high and left).

There is more corrosion in the barrel. Pictures are just typical of what's there. It exists from throat to muzzle, but chamber is clean.

Is this what is to be expected. I've seen some horrid looking barrels that shot well and some that didn't look too bad that shot terrible. Kinda new to interpreting what I see with the bore scope.

As always, thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230919_044037_USB endoscope camera for Samsung, Redmi, Sony, Huawei.jpg
    Screenshot_20230919_044037_USB endoscope camera for Samsung, Redmi, Sony, Huawei.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 330
  • Screenshot_20230919_044029_USB endoscope camera for Samsung, Redmi, Sony, Huawei.jpg
    Screenshot_20230919_044029_USB endoscope camera for Samsung, Redmi, Sony, Huawei.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 328
  • Screenshot_20230919_044021_USB endoscope camera for Samsung, Redmi, Sony, Huawei.jpg
    Screenshot_20230919_044021_USB endoscope camera for Samsung, Redmi, Sony, Huawei.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 336
  • Screenshot_20230919_044013_USB endoscope camera for Samsung, Redmi, Sony, Huawei.jpg
    Screenshot_20230919_044013_USB endoscope camera for Samsung, Redmi, Sony, Huawei.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 334
Looks like mild fire vracking and some copper and carbon fouling--- before writing it off, clean real good, re check and try shooting again

As far as the accuracy, semi autos must be shot differently than bolt guns-- try using a hard hold on the rifle ( not free recoil)-- and doing a complete follow through with the trigger when shooting. Another thing to consider is some semi autos are like lever action guns-- you'll get better accuracy if you only load 1 round at a time, try firing that way and see if it improves.

I've never had great accuracy from 740/742/7400/750 or BAR's--- 1.5moa seems to be the best ive ever gotten--- but you'll need to try more than 1 type of ammo to see what it likes ( just like any rifle)

There's a section in this book about accurizing/ bedding this rifle. Amazon product ASIN 0967094836 I haven't tried it but if you buddy wants to experiment with it it might help. Pitting in bores isn't desired but doesn't always mean the barrel won't shoot. On semi auto 30-06 I mirrored some of the M1 Garand loads. Stuck with 150-155 gr bullets and H4895 or IMR 4895 powders.

I'm spitballin here, first I'd disassemble it and clean the barrel. I bet most of those rifles were cleaned from the muzzle and chances of crown damage increased.
Like others have said, rifle not known for accuracy, and IMO only, the design and pencil thin barrel really weren't designed for more than 2 decent shots in a setting. I managed to get around 1.5" with a friends 30-06. It sucked to shoot from a bench, and most ran low power scopes not conducive to shooting groups.
As above, try different ammo.

After attempting to zero in a friend's 1994 Remington semi-auto 30-06, I ran the borescope down the barrel. Hadn't thought to do so prior to shooting because it appeared to be so well oiled and maintained.

Took about 6 shots for the barrel to start to settle down and then about the best I could do was 3 inches at 100 yds. Multiple 3 shot groups (as I was adjusting the Leupold scope) would have two about an inch apart and one flier, but never in the same order. All groups were about the same shape ( 2 close together and one high and left).

There is more corrosion in the barrel. Pictures are just typical of what's there. It exists from throat to muzzle, but chamber is clean.

Is this what is to be expected. I've seen some horrid looking barrels that shot well and some that didn't look too bad that shot terrible. Kinda new to interpreting what I see with the bore scope.

As always, thanks for your help!
With shot dipersion like that, at 100 yds, I wouldn't waste time trying to make the barrel look better. Accept the fact that you've got an imprecise rifle.

All of the above! I have know three different fellas that have had the semi-auto Remington's and have never seen one that was a shooter. They just spit out lead fast, not accurate. Its a good deep woods gun where shots never get past 75 yards and you need quick follow up shots but that's about it! It does look like it cold use a little cleaning though, maybe you could get a little better accuracy out of it but I would not waste a lot of time chasing MOA results because your not going to get them.

I cannot add much to what has been said. They are a 250yd rifle. Usually paired well with a 2-7x 32.

I would think you could find a 2 - 2.5"@100yd load, but it won't be easy. All you can really do is make sure it is all tight and shoot it.

The lock up and barrel attachment don't seem solid and consistent, if I remember right.
…..but, yes, you need to start with a cleaner bore.

I have a old 742 30/06 carbine that would not shoot well so I took it apart and cleaned the bbl. Just by chance I measured the id on the muzzle with some of my chamber reamer bushings and found the bbl was belled at the muzzle end. So I cut the bell out which was about .250" long and recrowned the bbl and threaded for a muzzle break. The rifle is not a bench rest gun but it shoots almost moa.