What can you tell me about my pawnshop find?

You bought a $700 fire breathing dragon (22" barrel in a magnum) that is gonna kick like a mule (light and 300 win don't go together).

LOL

Steve
I bought a 330 WM in a very similar setup. Kicked the crap out of me until I ordered a clamp-on break from Witt Machine. Very easy to shoot now without a lot of money in a custom built gun! (Less than $1K before glass)

emtyhopper,

I guess we can assume that this will be a hunting rifle?

Lightweight rifles can be a handful with full house loads and heavy bullets but some of this recoil can be mitigated by using cooler powders and somewhat lighter bullets.

I can suggest from real world experience that Re-23 with a Berger 175 grain VLD is manageable in a lighter rifle. The added benefit here is the powder burns fairly quick in the barrel so it has time to cool down some before the plasma exits. No big fireball.:)

Yes it will be a hunting rifle.

Thanks for the load recommendation.
I'll see how the rifle shoots and if it's great maybe have a brake put on it. If not, I'll have it rebarreled in something a little lighter kicking.

I've got an 87 ounce 30-06, kicks like a mule off the bench-- not quite as bad prone or freehand but still a handful it already has a good recoil pad so I'm putting a brake on it. I've heard some guys give up in the t3 lite guns in 300wm due to recoil, it's all relative though-- hope it shoots well for you

I picked this thing up at a pawn shop today and would like to know if anyone can give me any info on it. I know high tech specialties made rifle stocks, but did they ever build rifles?

It has a 22" barrel chambered in 300 win. mag and the action and bolt have had some machining done to lighten it up. I dont have a good scale, but it is very light.

I picked it up for $700 out the door, which I feel pretty good about.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 141976 View attachment 141979 View attachment 141981 View attachment 141985 View attachment 141988
The first thing I would do is bore scope the barrel and have a smith thread it and put a brake on it before firing. That way you wont want to sell it after the first 20 rounds and a bruised shoulder. Or maybe Im just a wuss but I dont like recoil and like to see my hits after firing.

I picked up a 300 RUM (first one for me). It's a light weight at just under 8 lbs or so. Christensen barrel, lightened action, Brown precision stock. Didn't have a brake on it (I was scared). I figured I owed it to my manliness to shoot it without a brake at least one trip. Truth is, it wasn't as bad as I thought (kept my man card). It did jump around alot so now it sports a brake.

I would shoot it without one and see if you really need a brake. Then you can determine if you want one permanently or take on and off for hunting or practice. Because mine is so light, it takes a lot of effort to keep it stable so it may not be a long ranger. Besides, you won't feel the recoil when shooting at game.

I picked up a 300 RUM (first one for me). It's a light weight at just under 8 lbs or so. Christensen barrel, lightened action, Brown precision stock. Didn't have a brake on it (I was scared). I figured I owed it to my manliness to shoot it without a brake at least one trip. Truth is, it wasn't as bad as I thought (kept my man card). It did jump around alot so now it sports a brake.

I would shoot it without one and see if you really need a brake. Then you can determine if you want one permanently or take on and off for hunting or practice. Because mine is so light, it takes a lot of effort to keep it stable so it may not be a long ranger. Besides, you won't feel the recoil when shooting at game.

While it is true that you don't really feel the recoil when shooting at game your brain knows it is coming. Never seen a guy yet that flinched on paper and didn't flinch shooting at game. I don't like brakes on hunting rifles but I also don't like guns that kick so hard you develop a flinch. Anything that light in 300 WM needs a brake on it for 90% of all shooters. If you are in the 10% minority, shoot it without.

Only cool kids shoot light 300 win mags laying down side ways

F2A3B15F-B44D-4288-9A05-CC124F518574.jpeg

No one cares about their face when the spotter yells bull down

Definitely kept your man card!!!

Concussion from a brake also causes a flinch. They just allow you to shoot more in one sitting without the shoulder punch. I think I just tell myself I'm about to get punched in the face...relax and take it or fight it.

OP..shoot it and decide for yourself.

It's a hunting rifle. Sight it in accurately, concoct a load and with luck you'll fire it a few times a year
I'd load with a faster burning powder and probably not VLDs as you might have to experiment a bit as they can be tricky

I've got an 87 ounce 30-06, kicks like a mule off the bench-- not quite as bad prone or freehand but still a handful it already has a good recoil pad so I'm putting a brake on it. I've heard some guys give up in the t3 lite guns in 300wm due to recoil, it's all relative though-- hope it shoots well for you
Good lord if you put a brake on it that short you really wont like the back blast. Go suppressed and you'll be super happy with recoil and blast.

First off, congratulations on the new rifle! Always fun to find something cool and interesting at the Pawn shop or local gun show. The bolt is interesting. I've never seen one lightened like that. If you find a good scale to weigh it, come back and let us know. I'm curious.

Now, on to all the recoil chat going on. Five words for you:
PAST Super Mag Plus Recoil Pad
Best $32 you'll spend for this gun. :)

Cheaper than a brake. Quieter than a brake. Can be used with ANY rifle or shotgun you own. Don't need it when you go hunting...and it won't deafen you and everyone around you (like a brake.) Seriously. Brakes are a nightmare. Hate it when a 'muzzle-brake' dude shows up at the local gun range. I'm sure he's a great guy and everything, but it's like someone dropped a turd in the punch bowl - everyone packs up and leaves. Hey...maybe that's a reason TO GET A BRAKE!

upload_2019-7-19_16-57-34.png

So I talked to Mark Bansner and he told me my rifle is 30+ years old and was built by a guy named Richard Scott, who owned High Tech Specialties before him.
As soon as it cools off a little I'll shoot it and see how I did.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.