Borescope Images - Help me identify...

My take on bore scopes, barrel bores , copper and carbon,performance,techniques and results.

I have guns from 17 to 50 cal, old new , Black Powder to S less I cast a lot of bullets and reload.

And have a Hawk eye (I believe) bore scope

Most of my guns are not shot a great amount .

Guns and hunting has been my passion for over 50 years

So;

A bore scope a great tool and eye opener and educator .

As a machinist I always assumed that barrels are machined to perfection, but looking through them with a bore scope tells a different story.

With some exceptions I would say that 75% of mid range rifles barrels are not smooth and have tool/ chatter marks in them.

Custom or after marked barrels however are in general a work of art they are a pleasure to look at and are to be treasured.

These are the top performers with the right amount of tweaking,however I find it amazing that a large proportion of the so called mediocre barrels seem to ignore that they are rough and shoot extremely well.

Like as in case of my Savage 6.5 CM (.3@ 100mtr

An other one 30 year old .340 Lazermark heavy crocodile throat .5 @200mtr

Next 94 W 32 spec no decent rifling left ,shot cast bullets to fill the gaps jacketed bullets after that 1.5" @ 100 y open sights.

So to me a bore scope tells me if I have a rough barrel or a super barrel,if my barrel is clean ( is there carbon left) but it wont tell me how it will shoot as far as factory barrels go.

On the carbon subject;

The way I shoot my guns I never ran much of a problem with it if there was any it was taken care of by my regular cleaning methods.

Up until now, up here we are now facing the government proposed gun theft that includes my Stag varmint (AR) so I figured I better shoot it some more before .....

Shot a bunch of Chinese ammo so here is a ton of carbon.

Shooters choice mix with Kroil no good.

K4 carbon remover no good

K4 bore polish no good

Read somewhere on this forum, wet patch of Kroil followed by short stoke with patch of JB.

Repeat 2 or 3 times very good.

Carbon in chamber; 15 "long brass rod 3/16 or ¼ diam cut slot 1' length wise on one side roll up a wad off 0000 steel wool soak in Kriol slow speed in a drill done-so very good.

Just my 2 cents

Martin

Well - i had surgery this morning and will not be cleaning or shooting guns for 4 - 6 weeks according to the Dr.

Apologies for the delay that will be coming to this thread. I appreciate all the knowledge and experience that has been shared with me. When I am physically able to clean the rifle I will be sure to take during and after photos. Definitely have no intention of removing the barrel.

Plan for cleaning is:
1) Wipeout soak
2) Fill barrel with BT C4 and let soak for up to 24hrs
3) KROIL/JB

Question? Of the 120 rounds, how many rounds in succession? Did you check the bbl temp during any of your range time outings?. Did the bbl overheat. I don't know what the life expectancy is on a 300PRC but that sure looks like heat fatigue/stress to me. IMHO
All great questions. I shot strings of 3- 5, letting the barrel cool down for ~10min between strings. Most of the shooting was performed outside, so 20-50F. I did not measure the barrel temp directly, just used the bare hand "cool to touch" method.

Well - i had surgery this morning and will not be cleaning or shooting guns for 4 - 6 weeks according to the Dr.

Apologies for the delay that will be coming to this thread. I appreciate all the knowledge and experience that has been shared with me. When I am physically able to clean the rifle I will be sure to take during and after photos. Definitely have no intention of removing the barrel.

Plan for cleaning is:
1) Wipeout soak
2) Fill barrel with BT C4 and let soak for up to 24hrs
3) KROIL/JB
Ah man, I was really looking forward to those pics. Heal up and get at it another day!

I agree if you are a shooter/hunter/collector, a bore scope is a useful tool. I recently purchased a Lyman and photo catalogued all my rifles. I can now monitor changes over time. I also used the Tubbs Final Finish on one rifle and compared the changes thru the five stages. Most recently I returned a factory rifle after seeing half the rifling missing in the leade to the throat (the barrel was replaced free of charge, no questions). Even if you can't interpret the what you are viewing, you can show the images to someone who can (like the people here) and address concerns without handwringing.

Which model Teslong is your borescope?? Pics are really detailed and focused.

Teslong Rifle Bore Scope, 0.2inch Gun Barrel Borescope Camera.
I use $5k+ nikon borescopes at work and the Teslong is right up there. Took it in one day and compaired it next to the nikons, main difference was the ability to focus the image and lighting control. Otherwise, Teslong gets my $$$ all day.

20191218_112441.jpg

All great questions. I shot strings of 3- 5, letting the barrel cool down for ~10min between strings. Most of the shooting was performed outside, so 20-50F. I did not measure the barrel temp directly, just used the bare hand "cool to touch" method.
The "hot bbl hand test" that's how I do my heat check too. If it was my rifle, i would sure like to see those ,lands & groves a bit smoother. But heck, if it's shoot'n good.keep shoot'n it.

Had an opportunity to take before and after pictures using Wipe-Out for a 4 hour soak. Focus was on the "cracking/scaling" in the throat and stubborn copper in the lands. I tried 2 common copper and carbon solvents previously as described in the previous threads. In my opinion, wipeout definitely got things moving in the right direction. I will do a longer soak for the copper during the holidays and a kroil soak in the throat. It's looking a lot better than previously.

before & after_Copper Removal.jpg
before & after_Throat.jpg

Had an opportunity to take before and after pictures using Wipe-Out for a 4 hour soak. Focus was on the "cracking/scaling" in the throat and stubborn copper in the lands. I tried 2 common copper and carbon solvents previously as described in the previous threads. In my opinion, wipeout definitely got things moving in the right direction. I will do a longer soak for the copper during the holidays and a kroil soak in the throat. It's looking a lot better than previously.

View attachment 164443 View attachment 164444
Thanks for posting these results! These are Much more helpful than simply posting results with no pics. Keep them coming gentlemen!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.