Borescope of cleaning the carbon ring out of a 300 ultra

Definitely going to have to get aggressive with that one. May take multiple cleanings to get it out of there. Try bore tech c4 carbon remover and let sit for an hour. Sometimes I'll get it in my chamber/bore before bed and just let it soak all night.

Love to see some before and after pics with your process
I am swamped until the end of the year. I plan on putting together a video. I am not sure I will ever really have the cleaning method down. Like I said C4 and Seafoam seem to get the carbon ring out the quickest but I would still like it to be faster. Wipeout helps get a barrel clean with less work but does not really help with the ring. Contrary to what some say JB or ISSO don't help me get rid of the ring at all. I do use them to keep the throat as smooth as it can be considering the wear.

Last edited:
I am swamped until the end of the year. I plan on putting together a video. I am not sure I will ever really have the cleaning method down. Like I said C4 and Seafoam seam to get the carbon ring out the quickest but I would still like it to be faster. Wipeout helps get a barrel clean with less work but does not really help with the ring. Contrary to what some say JB or ISSO don't help me get rid of the ring at all. I do use them to keep the throat as smooth as it can be considering the wear.
Ive never had any luck with paste. It takes a strong solvent along with some scrubbing in my experience!
Paste is good after its clean to smooth it up so it doesnt stick as easily the next time.

Try JB before you go toooo far down the solvent dead end road. JB works and works very well or I would not have mentioned it.
Just wrap a patch around a nylon brush maybe one caliber smaller than the brush to get a tight fit. Run it back and forth in the throat about 20 times. Check with the scope and maybe do it again.
I also like to use the brush and patch setup with one piece of one of those screw together cleaning rods everyone used to use. Stick the one end in a cordless drill and the brush on the other. Spin it slowly in the throat a little bit. The ring will be gone in no time and it will not hurt the barrel.

By all means try bore paste first. Maybe it will work for you. It does nothing in my barrels for the carbon ring.

A carbon ring is when that residue builds up enough that it touches the bullet. Small
amounts of carbon deposits in front of the mouth of the brass isn't necessary a carbon ring. A carbon ring is where the build up is so sever it's touching the bullet on chambering. We're talking excess of .012-.014. When I clean, I first soak a patch and spin it in that area to get it soaked. Follow normal cleaning. Then at the end I take a oversized bronze brush and spin it in neck/throat area. Follow with some patches and have never had a problem with carbon ring. I do clean it every 50 rounds and check lands. Nylon brush with some JB paste also works well. Just make sure you clean it out. Some brake cleaner on a large patch spun in that area will help. I use brake cleaner with a bronze brush with patch over it for cleaning chamber as well. Carb cleaner works as well. But leaves a small oil film for rust prevention. You must then clean it out with Alcohol on a patch.

What bore scope are you using? I think you already answered this on another thread but I cant find it.

Ive never had any luck with paste. It takes a strong solvent along with some scrubbing in my experience!
Paste is good after its clean to smooth it up so it doesnt stick as easily the next time.
What kind of solvent do you use, if you don't mind saying.

The carbon ring I believe most are talking about when they say carbon ring is what Ryan is talking about. It is in the freebore area of the chamber. I don't have a lot to add to what Ryan said about it. The carbon ring just before the freebore starts happens in almost all if not all chambers and if left will cause the exact same thing not trimming your brass will do and you WILL see pressure spikes and all of the negatives that come with it such as increased bolt lift and extraction issues. You can see both in the video and IMO they both need removed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.