Out of the box Accuracy.

What I don't understand, if they making barrels everyday, why it takes so much time to get one for my rifle??? I called them last week and was told that they are making barrel for my rifle, called them again this week and got same answer... :cool:

Jinx the barrels on the savage pta's in 24 and 26 cal are finicky, they copper foul real easy, about every 40 rounds and carbon foul every 20 or so, idk how many times you shot yours but they will start slinging em when this happens. J&B and Copper Killer are good investments, I may have already mentioned that to you. My model 12 would shoot sub cal groups at 100yrds consistently.

Yes it had very heavy fouling, after I cleaned it it would hold 5 shots within 1 MOA then next 5 would be 1.5 - 2. I used KG-12 this stuff is the best when it comes to copper, even with this it took more then an hour to get rid of the copper from 20 shots. J&B I have some, but rather use KG-2 bore polish, its less abrasive and I use on all of my rifles.

What I don't understand, if they making barrels everyday, why it takes so much time to get one for my rifle??? I called them last week and was told that they are making barrel for my rifle, called them again this week and got same answer... :cool:

Because big companies have a tough time following through on anything that deviates from the normal production flow?

When my TC ICON developed barrel issue, TC simply replaced whole rifle not just a barrel, it took 2 weeks and I got it back, why not just send me new one and keep the defective as a display reminder for QC.

When my TC ICON developed barrel issue, TC simply replaced whole rifle not just a barrel, it took 2 weeks and I got it back, why not just send me new one and keep the defective as a display reminder for QC.

Jinx - Are you jinxed? How many rifles have you sent back? (just kidding)

In the last 3 years I had 4 defective rifles and one shotgun... I had another Savage it had barrel problem, glass bedding it and putting new crown didn't help, then I had Howa, worst rifle ever 6"@100, then Remington 870, it broke ejection rail on the first shell I tried to eject, TC ICON it developed pitting after a year and now this... Yes the nick name stands for something, or my local dealers sell crap. The only rifles which do shoot I got from Dicks and Gadner Mt.

I don't think its just me, last year at the range I saw father and son getting new 12 VLP DBM out of the box, they sighted in at 100 then shot few groups at 300, it was allover, few days later I saw it for sale in used gun section local gunshop, it was cheap for about 400 - 500.

Last edited:
The model 12 F-Class I had shot .6542 moa at 1k at the Whitehorse range in Buchannon, WV with very unpleasant conditions. Yes a 6.542" 5 shot group with 18mph 45* wind at 1k box stock rifle, EGW base, Warne rings, and a 12-42x56 NF. Most Savages I've seen are tack drivers or don't take much to get them there, but like any company you can get a dud occasionally.

that's very impressive for an out of the box gun! Probably shot in the fives with no wind. What bullet were you using?
gary

backwoods83,

No disrespect intended.... But, 6.542" at 1k with an 18mph wind is only partially attributable to the rifle. The ammo and particularly the shooter are a huge part of that.

I can't quite do that on a good day with my 12F although it's a fine shooter.

-- richard

now I'm not ever gonna say the rifle would win, or anything like that. But if you scan the group sizes for the east coast 1000 yards meets, this rifle will fall right in the middle of the pack out of the box
gary

OK, I have doubts, since I got LRP and out of the box it shot 1.5 MOA. LRP that's Savage Target series which supposed to be supper accurate, but not what I got, well I send it back to Savage, they told me it needs new barrel, now its been 3 weeks since they told me about barrel, but they can't make one for it. I bought it because all of that hype about accuracy etc, so far I haven't seen any.

I've seen several LRP's make 250 yard ragged holes with five shots, and bug holes at one hundred yards. One of them on a good day shoots in the high ones all day long.
gary

now I'm not ever gonna say the rifle would win, or anything like that. But if you scan the group sizes for the east coast 1000 yards meets, this rifle will fall right in the middle of the pack out of the box
gary

Are those group sizes posted somewhere to be seen? I would like to see just what guys can do when everything is dialed in.

Gary that load was a 139grn Lapua Scenar with the meplat trimmed for a weight of 137.8grns in Norma brass on top of 48.7grns of Imr4350, CCI BR2 primers, I polish case necks and use a .292" bushing for right at 30lbs neck tension and then put them .005" in the lands. I would have had a 3.xxx group in fairmont but the mirage screwed me, and I slung one 3.5"s 2 o'clock. And yes they will shoot groups in the high .1s at 100yrds. When I first got that rifle I used factory Corbon ammo and me and 2 friends each shot a five shot group at 100yrds at the same bullseye and you could cover all 3 groups with a quarter.

Are those group sizes posted somewhere to be seen? I would like to see just what guys can do when everything is dialed in.

as far as I know they are not. I saw them posted on the bulleten board at a local gun shop. I know several of the shooters, and to be honest about the shooters were 50% of the group size (all were avid benchrest shooters). The guy shooting the smallest groups hand laps every barrel on every gun he shoots, and I've seen some really small groups posted by him (my favorite was a Remington 700 in .270 that was grouping in the very low fours, and that one I know was posted on the internet about six years back).

I have a Savage 112BVSS in 22-250 that I rechambered after the throat went away (lots of rounds thru it), and cut .50" off the muzzel for a new crown (basicly ending up with a 24.75" barrel). The chamber is tight, but a standard chamber (no turn neck). It will always shoot 3/8" or smaller groups (often dipping into the very high twos on windless days). The load is 35.5 grains of 3031 with a Sierra 1365 bullet. The rifle has been pillar bedded, and the recoil lug area reworked extensively. Before that I had a 112BVSS-S that with the same load was always in the mid to low threes using the exact same load. (no matter what the trigger sucked on these two rifles!)

About the only .223 I shoot much anymore is a 20" barreled Remington. It's a solid fours gun, and a ball to shoot. I shoot 55 gr. Vmaxs at 3270fps using several different kinds of powders (BLC2, H322, H335, and 2015BR). Always seem to come right back to H322 and BLC2 in the end! Not bad for a rifle using a tomato stake for a barrel!
gary

Gary that load was a 139grn Lapua Scenar with the meplat trimmed for a weight of 137.8grns in Norma brass on top of 48.7grns of Imr4350, CCI BR2 primers, I polish case necks and use a .292" bushing for right at 30lbs neck tension and then put them .005" in the lands. I would have had a 3.xxx group in fairmont but the mirage screwed me, and I slung one 3.5"s 2 o'clock. And yes they will shoot groups in the high .1s at 100yrds. When I first got that rifle I used factory Corbon ammo and me and 2 friends each shot a five shot group at 100yrds at the same bullseye and you could cover all 3 groups with a quarter.

I've never owned a 6.5, but have often wanted to build one. The 30AR necked down to 6.5 interests me alot right now, and think I could make it into an excellent dog killer at 500 yards. Brother is hot to build a 6.5AI right now, and we'll see how well that turns out. What's your rate of twist?
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.