Better Out of the box Accuracy

Prieto9000

I'm looking for a Mid range shooting rifle and I narrowed it down to 2 rifles

1.-CZ-550 Varmint Laminated .308 Set Trigger
2.-Rem 700 SPS Varmint .308 Jewel Trigger.

Which one of this 2 should be more accurate?? I'm not planning on doing any kind of gunsmithing on any of them, except for the jewel trigger installation on the 700

Both will be brand new.

I'm looking for a Mid range shooting rifle and I narrowed it down to 2 rifles

1.-CZ-550 Varmint Laminated .308 Set Trigger
2.-Rem 700 SPS Varmint .308 Jewel Trigger.

Which one of this 2 should be more accurate?? I'm not planning on doing any kind of gunsmithing on any of them, except for the jewel trigger installation on the 700

Both will be brand new.

for the amount of money you'd spend on the Remingto with the after market trigger, you could buy a Savage right bolt left port target rifle. The standard long range hunter will shoot better than the Remington, and RBLP rifle will flat smoke the other two.
gary

Forget 'em both and get a Tikka.
Rem's are good but often need work.
CZ is rather off the wall, but if they shoot...then o.k.-- I personally haven't worked with 'em enough to say either way.

+1 on the Savage!!! Get a Savage with an accutrigger and it will drop to around 2.5#s and is crisp. I think Savage is the best out-of-the-box accurate rifle around.

Savage or Tikka would flat smoke either one................ but..... if I had to use one of those two and was planning on building it up some day I would get the remington but I would take my chances with the the cz if I really was going to except it for what it is and leave it alone.

Last night I looked at five targets shot with a .308 Savage mod. 10 like cops use. Three of the five groups were in the .45" range for five shots. One was about .62", and the last one was one ragged hole. All were the same load with the same bullet.

If it were me I'd take the Remington, and then trade it for a Savage
gary

Last night I looked at five targets shot with a .308 Savage mod. 10 like cops use. Three of the five groups were in the .45" range for five shots. One was about .62", and the last one was one ragged hole. All were the same load with the same bullet.

If it were me I'd take the Remington, and then trade it for a Savage
gary

BRILLIANT....... Why didn't I think of that? That right there is solid advice.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 110
Plain & simple answer, of the choices you gave:
Get the Rem. If you don't like it you'll be able to sell it. Not a big market for CZ, & virtually 0 aftermarket support, so for "resale" alone go Rem. Somebody somewhere will always buy it if you choose to sell it.

I own 2 CZ shotguns, & they're great, but waiting for 6 months for parts for my 712 autoloader soured me on CZ. I still love my Canvasback O/U, & haven't had any issues, but I won't buy one of thier rifles after that long of a wait to be able to shoot one of my shotguns.

I'm not a savage fan in the least. They feel cheap, look cheap, & are just plain too ugly to own, but I'll admit that they've earned a reputation for accuracy nowadays. Many of the reputable shooters here wouldn't look twice at em if they weren't accurate.
Still, I'd opt for a Wby Vanguard S-2 if I wanted a cheapo, accurate rifle.

Plain & simple answer, of the choices you gave:
Get the Rem. If you don't like it you'll be able to sell it. Not a big market for CZ, & virtually 0 aftermarket support, so for "resale" alone go Rem. Somebody somewhere will always buy it if you choose to sell it.

I own 2 CZ shotguns, & they're great, but waiting for 6 months for parts for my 712 autoloader soured me on CZ. I still love my Canvasback O/U, & haven't had any issues, but I won't buy one of thier rifles after that long of a wait to be able to shoot one of my shotguns.

I'm not a savage fan in the least. They feel cheap, look cheap, & are just plain too ugly to own, but I'll admit that they've earned a reputation for accuracy nowadays. Many of the reputable shooters here wouldn't look twice at em if they weren't accurate.
Still, I'd opt for a Wby Vanguard S-2 if I wanted a cheapo, accurate rifle.

I'm in the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" camp. Face it; similarlly finished Remingtons and similarlly finished Savages are ugly. Nothing gracefull about their lines. If I want beauty in a bolt action rifle, I'd buy a Vanguard with a wood stock. Or better yet a Styer or a Blazer.

The Savage idea that they just now became accurate is a huge missconception. The cat was out of the bag in the 1970's when they were tested and shot groups that were close to one third the size of the otherguys.

Still if I could just have one Savage rifle, it would be a certain engraved presentation mod. 99 I saw hanging on a wall with a $very serious price tag.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.