Browning X-bolt out of the box accuracy?

romainchu78

Hello, i am looking for the a good factory produced long range rifle (600-700 yds max) calibered at 300 win mag for hunting deers and elks in north america.
I have reviewed a lot of reviews on the browning x bolt.
What is the typical out of the box accuracy expected with factory ammo and same question with match grade ammo (reloading at home)? is it even possible to go sub MOA with this rifle?
If not what other rifle do you recommend in the $1,000-$1,500 price range?
Are a custom made rifle really needed vs factory produced rifle?
Thanks,

Look for a Remington Sendero in .300 WinMag. If it is a newer model Sendero SFII, you will want to swap out the trigger for a Jewell or Timney unit. If it is an older model Sendero, or Sendero SF, a simple trigger-tune should be fine. Possibly might need to skim-bed the action and lug, and check the barrel for float-clearance. But 99% of the time all they need out of the box is a trigger job. You should be able to build that rifle for $1,500 easily, and it will go well-beyond your 700 yard max distance.

As for the X-Bolt.....I can't help you on that one, as I've never owned one. I can tell you that both of my Browning A-Bolt II 7mmRM's shot excellently from the factory with Federal Premium ammo. And the one I have now shot Berger 168 VLD's, and Nosler Accubonds very well, up until the barrel decided to start acting up, so she's getting a barrel swap right now, just because I had a barrel sitting around, and want to alleviate the headache of trying to figure out what's wrong with the barrel that it would shoot good one day, then just overnight it wouldn't shoot anything good...

... is it even possible to go sub MOA with this rifle?

1 MOA accuracy requires a well tuned rifle with balanced barrel harmonics. Most of today's major brand rifles are capable of 1 MOA right out of the box. It just depends on how well the action is bedded, what ammo. you use and how well the action is bedded.
Browning X bolt is a fine rifle.
The Sendero SFII, IMO, would be another excellent choice - and probably would be my choice.

I can do MOA with my Browning at 100 yards, but opens up more the farther I go.

I can do 3/4 to 1 inch groups a 300 yards with my Savage LRH.

Easy choice to make for me.

I bought an X-bolt for my son in 7mm mag for an upcoming elk hunt, it shoots ¾ MOA with Winchester Supreme 160 grain Accubonds. It was his rifle that he wanted. I prefer Sakos. I have a finnlite 75 in 308, an 85 in 270, had a Tecomate 270 wsm, and have a Tikka in 243. All shoot ¾ MOA or less with factory ammo but I had to find the brand that each one liked. I have a friend that deals with a gentleman that reloads and builds rifles, or should I say puts them together after the components have been worked, and I know of 3 Sakos he has ordered for other people in 300 wsm. He customized a load for each one and they will almost print one hole at 100 yards. Had I known that before I ordered my McWhorter, guess what I would be shooting. I was originally going to use my Sako 308 on the hunt but wanted something flatter shooting with a little more punch. The McWhorter is in 270 Weatherby Mag shooting a 165 matrix bullet.
Good luck with what ever you decide.

I heard two of u guys proposing the sendero ? What would be the advantages ober the x bolt?
Infinitely customizable options and accessories, for one.... The Remington 700 is the ORIGINAL custom rifle. Anything and everything that CAN be made for them, is out there available for purchase to customize it and make it your own. There's more custom parts and accessories for the Remington 700 action than ANY other make or model rifle in the world.

But also because it comes with a 26" heavy barrel, which is more accurate than a sporter contour barrel, like on the X-Bolt.

I heard two of u guys proposing the sendero ? What would be the advantages over the x bolt?

What MudRunner2005 said and ..
The Sendero has a comb drop that's about .25 inches lower than the X-Bolt. That means I can get my scope center closer to the center line of the bore. The Sendero is also, caliber for caliber, a bit heavier than the X-Bolt and I prefer a rifle at about 8# for hunting.
Like many things in life, it's more about what the shooter prefers than anything else. Put both rifles side by side and shoulder each of them. Choose the one you like the best.

I have heard a lot of good things about the accuracy of the sendero. I have heard a lot of bad about the weight. It is a heavy rifle to be carrying around in the mountains. I have a Ruger 243 varmint/target rifle. If I remember correctly it is 11 pounds without the scope. I once hauled it around my deer lease in hilly country for several miles. Haven't done it since. If I am walking, I'm walking light.

Ok, so I'm a wimp.

Infinitely customizable options and accessories, for one.... The Remington 700 is the ORIGINAL custom rifle. Anything and everything that CAN be made for them, is out there available for purchase to customize it and make it your own. There's more custom parts and accessories for the Remington 700 action than ANY other make or model rifle in the world.

But also because it comes with a 26" heavy barrel, which is more accurate than a sporter contour barrel, like on the X-Bolt.

What options should be considered then for the rem 700 to increase accuracy?
Does the heavy barrel make a big difference over the x bolt?

As far as accuracy goes, the barrel makes ALL the difference, with the trued and squared action being about only 25% of the equation.

The heavy barrel is less susceptable to barrel whip caused by harmonics when the bullet travele down it, than a skinny barrel with less material on the sides of the barrel, which allows more expansion and heat causing it to be alot more whippy.

Watch a slow-mo video of a bullet traveling down a barrel and you'll understand what I mean when I say a thicker barrel will make a difference.

You should look at an abolt2 long range hunter. It was a 2012 shot show special. It is basically an abolt with a medium heavy fluted barrel. I have shot 3 of them in 300 win mag and they all shot well under an inch. Mine shoots around 1/2 inch with hand loads. They are in the $850 range.

If I remember correctly it is 11 pounds without the scope. I once hauled it around my deer lease in hilly country for several miles. Haven't done it since. If I am walking, I'm walking light.

You make a very good point. The Sendero actually weight about 8.5 pounds out of the box and with scope and the three round magazine filled it will probably run a bit over 10 pounds. But I figure if the kids in WWII carried the M1 Garand all over Europe and much of the Pacific (9.5 lbs all by itself and about 11.5 pounds with a full magazine and bayonet in place) I can handle the Sendero for a couple of days and a light weight 300 Win Mag can be punishing to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.