Browning X-bolt out of the box accuracy?

You should look at an abolt2 long range hunter. It was a 2012 shot show special. It is basically an abolt with a medium heavy fluted barrel. I have shot 3 of them in 300 win mag and they all shot well under an inch. Mine shoots around 1/2 inch with hand loads. They are in the $850 range.
Yeah, a semi-local store to me has one in 7mm RemMag.....I wish I had the money, cause it would be mine!

I have looked at the Sendero SFII it is a very nice gun. But when looking i found multitude online stores that sells custom made rifle for guaranteed accuracy. Is it really worse to spend $3,000 to $4,000 on a custom rifle which is usually based on a remington 700 Versus byuing the out of the box Sendero SF II + trigger job ?

To answer the original question, there are two X Bolts at my house. My wife's 7mm-08 and my 25-06. We're both left handed so our leftys both have wood stocks. Neither like factory stuff much but I'm a hand loader and really didn't mess with it much. I didn't have any problems at all getting either one shooting sub MOA with hand loads after I worked out a bad brass issue with the 25-06. The 7mm-08 shoots 1/2 MOA already and I have no doubt I will get there with the 25-06. This is all without any modifications. I also own a Rem 700 CDL. Great shooting rifle also.

To answer the original question, there are two X Bolts at my house. My wife's 7mm-08 and my 25-06. We're both left handed so our leftys both have wood stocks. Neither like factory stuff much but I'm a hand loader and really didn't mess with it much. I didn't have any problems at all getting either one shooting sub MOA with hand loads after I worked out a bad brass issue with the 25-06. The 7mm-08 shoots 1/2 MOA already and I have no doubt I will get there with the 25-06. This is all without any modifications. I also own a Rem 700 CDL. Great shooting rifle also.

How far can you shoot with your X bolts?

That's a good question. My wife is new to shooting and hunting so I haven't done anything with hers past 300 yards. My 25-06 is still in the beginning load development stage. (100 yards) Being a 25-06 used for deer sized game I will probably limit my shots on deer to 500 to 600 yards. It will definitely be shot further then that at the range I just haven't got there yet.
Your choice of the 300 mag will definitely be capable of the distances you mentioned cartridge wise but until I do more shooting I can't vouch for the rifle yet. Sorry I can't help out more.

I have a .300 Win.mag. Browning A-Bolt with a BOSS micrometer adjustable muzzle brake and I get easily 3/4 MOA from any factory cartridge and often 1/2 MOA with Hornady ammo and handloads.

An A-Bolt and X-Bolt both have similar lockup with the bolts and likely the same barrels. I'd go with the Browning. Great drop-down magazine set up too.

Shot my new X-Bolt 30-06 SS Stalker today. 3/4 MOA with Hornady Superformance 165 Gr. And I'm not a great shot.

If they are like their a-bolts you can easily expect sub one inch groups. ...I own two and even with partitions and x-bullets they will handle 3/4 inch groups all day...

I have both a stainless steel Remington 700 and a stainless steel Browning A-Bolt and both are in .300 Win. mag.

The Remington 700 is a custom target rifle with a trued action on an HS Precision stock with the HS P's stainless steel medium heavy fluted barrel. Factory Rem. trigger (a "tuned" *** that needs replacement). Yeah, it's accurate, HS Precision accurate, not Remington accurate.

The Browning A-Bolt is better in just about every respect.
1. better trigger
2. better action W/ 3 lug bolt (faster to work)
3. better magazine system

I would always go with a Browning rifle over a Remington. Be sure you are comparing equal style of barrels B/C Browning makes a fluted heavy barrel rifle too.

Eric B.

I have a Browning X-Bolt in 300 Win Mag Stainless Stalker with a composite stock and Dura-Touch finish. It has been a great shooter and I've taken several bucks, all under 200 yards with 180 grain Nosler Partitions protected points. At the range, I have taken it out to 300 yards with excellent accuracy. My rifle really likes this bullet.

A couple of weeks ago I took the rifle out of my safe to change scopes and noticed that the stock seemed really sticky, to the point that it is not useable. I did a couple of searches on the web and found that a number of people have had the same problem. The Dura-Touch finish deteriorated, and my rifle is only about 6 years old. It has never been exposed to harsh cleaning agents and has always been cleaned with only a damp cloth. Apparently, there is not much that can be done when this happens. I really like the rifle (I've read that Browning probably would have replaced the stock) but, not wanting the same thing happen again, I ordered an aftermarket stock which should be in shortly. Again, the X-Bolt is a great rifle and was accurate out of the box, but I am really disappointed with the composite stock's durability.

I´ve owned 3 Stainless stalker X-Bolts. 2 7mm rem mag and a .243 win. All of them were great shooters. I had awesome results using hornady InterBond bullets with sub-moa groups. BUT I had several issues with all of them:
1.- The strings on one of the rear scope mount holes stripped. It all happened to the same hole on all 3 rifles. I used the warne torque wrench for all the screws which i believe is set @ 20 in/lb.
2.- The "featherweight" trigger is awful. The lowest you can go is around 3.5 lb which is super heavy for me. I set all my triggers @ ¾ lb.
3.- The duratouch finish on the stocks is not that rugged. It scratches very easy and looks horrible when that happens. If you´re planning on going into heavy timber you´re gonna end up with a very damaged stock.

Hello, i am looking for the a good factory produced long range rifle (600-700 yds max) calibered at 300 win mag for hunting deers and elks in north america.
I have reviewed a lot of reviews on the browning x bolt.
What is the typical out of the box accuracy expected with factory ammo and same question with match grade ammo (reloading at home)? is it even possible to go sub MOA with this rifle?
If not what other rifle do you recommend in the $1,000-$1,500 price range?
Are a custom made rifle really needed vs factory produced rifle?
Thanks,

For what it is worth >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/right-out-box-76570/

For your price range, you are very close to https://christensenarms.com/ridgeline/ and might be worth your time to check them out.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.