Browning X-Bolt Accuracy Problems

ANDREW RICKETTS

I have a browning X-Bolt 6.5CM.

I have attempted to shoot Hornady Precision Hunter 143 GR, and Browning BXR 129 GR ammunition.

I haven't had any luck with either holding a decent group at 100 yards.

Does anyone else have a similar rifle? What works for you?

And has anyone else had any flaws with either of these ammunitions.

Hand Loading is not an option for me, so please do not suggest it. thank you.

What kind of groups are you getting? What type of rest are you using? What scope are you using? What have you tried to do to improve accuracy this far? More information is needed.

Lastly, what are your expectations?

My son has an X Bolt 7mm-08 with Leupold VX3 on it. It is a 1" rifle regularly, with some .5" groups. However, it is not nearly as impressive as my LTR's with Swarovski's which at easy .5" guns and often .25" guns at 100 yards off a Caldwell Rock and rear bag.

Steve

Have you remounted the scope and torqued properly?

See my thread from today, similar situation as you and it turned out to be the scope.

I know how frustrating it is. Do the following in this order:

- check action screws, make sure they are torqued properly.
- see if the barrel is floated. My sons X Bolt will easily allow a dollar bill to go all the way to the action.
- remount the scope with a torque wrench. I'd do around 25-30 on bases and 15-18 on ring screws.
- try a different scope.

Good luck!
Steve

I have attempted to shoot Hornady Precision Hunter 143 GR, and Browning BXR 129 GR ammunition.

Have you switched out the trigger spring yet? Factory trigger, even at its lowest setting is probably going to run 3.5+ lbs pull weight. Pretty heavy for shooting tinny groups.

https://www.mcarbo.com/browning-x-bolt-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

I had an xbolt Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creedmoor. It shot the Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X ammo very well. Had good luck with Nosler 140gr ballistic tip ammo as well.

I'm shooting the Hornady Precision Hunter ammo in my new XBolt in 28 Nosler with good results.

Which model do you have?

Beautiful rifle.
What model and powder of scope?
What rings?
Did you clean the barrel real well before firing the first rounds?

Need to make sure the stock is secured to the action really well.
I would:
* remove the stock from the action
* verify if the recoil lug had been bedded. Browning used to put a little epoxy between the lug rest on the action and the lug face. This allow a tight solid surface for the lug to rest against unrecoil.
* Look to see if the action screw holes have metal pillars in them or are just holes in the wood.
* Put action back on the stock. Put the stock butt on the floor or table and push downward on the barrel to force the recoil lug against the lug resting area on the stock.
* Tighten the Front first and then rear screw. Alternate screw tightening until there is a bout 40 inch pounds for a wood stock with no pillars and 55" inch pounds if it had pillars.

Nikon Monarch 3 - 5x20 Nikoplex Reticle.

Verified Bedding and Free Floating - No Pillars, Just Holes.
Also refastened to stock as explained. Will try again with some different ammo, any suggestions.

I'd start by narrowing the accuracy down first. It will probably give you a good baseline.

To answer your question, it will be fine a Creed velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.