shooting out of the group

dogfox

Hi,

Has anyone any experience of the first cold and clean shooting well out of the group 1 1/2" high at 100 yds in 22-250AI and 243AI, Shooting Nosler Silvertips and molly coated bullets. This is completely repeatable and both rifles shoot consistantly well. I have many test groups where I have shot 2 rounds and then cleaned and dryed the barrel and then shot two more rounds, and ended up with two groups with the bullets cutting the same hole.

I have now given up and alway's go out hunting now with a dirty barrel to ensure I am on target.

Dogfox

I NEVER depend on the first shot out of a clean BBL. EVER. Very seldom will any of my guns put the fowling shot in the group. If I can't get to a range before I hunt, some poor rock or tree gets hammered. I shoot moly in two of my guns and it takes a dozen rounds to get it to shoot at it's potential. But.....I don't clean a moly tube by the book. When I am done, the friggen thing is CLEAN. I guess all you are suppose to do is run a few patches of Kroil and dry....kind of leave them dirty. I can't get myself to do that.

Good luck.

meichele is spot on. What you're experiencing is very typical. Some choose not to oil a bore after shooting. They just run several dry patches through.

Myself, I always oil a bore after cleaning to nuetralize the ammonia. Then I run two dry patches through. I always fire fouling shots before hunting, two seems to be the magic number.

Hi,

Many thanks for all the help, it appears that this is something that I an going to have to live with and continue doing the same as before, go hunting only with a fouled barrel. This is something that can be a dam inconvience over here in the UK.

Dogfox

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.