Velocity out of 243 win shooting 105gr bullets

jca57jd

Hey gentleman! I was wondering what some of your experinces with your average muzzle velocities are out of some of your 243 winchesters shooting 105 gr bullets? What length barrel, twist rate, bullets, powder type and charge, primer, and ruff temperature at time of test?

My 26" barrel on my ar10 seems to be throwing them down the tube slow so I wanted to see were some of y'all are at. Thanks!

I wouldn't expect more than 2800-2900 fps from a 100-105 from the 243's I've seen. More is cake (or your pressures are up), less and you've either got a slow barrel or you ought to change powder to something that makes speed better in your barrel.

My Hornady reloading manual lists loads for the 105gr Amax.

Most loads they list max out at 2800fps (Win 760, H4350, H450, RL 22, VIHT 165, H4831)
RL 19 appears to max out at 2900fps and Win WMR shows the highest max speed at 3000fps.

I personally do not own a chrono and have not completed my 105gr load development (still working on group size) so have not validated drops at 320 yards which is what I do to correct the ballistic solution.

You might also look at the Hodgdon reloading website for their 243 loads using H100V hybrid powder. They list a 41gr max load producing 2959fps. H100V was one of the newer powders that was not in too much demand during the powder "drought".

Thanks for the replies! I might be expecting to much. I'm getting around 2800 but I was wanting to break 3000. Good feeling that is going to be a sweet spot. I've read several people claiming between 3100-3200 out of standard 243 Winchester. The Berger, and Hornady manual does show similar velocities to what I am getting but they are based off of 24" barrels so it made me wonder.

Keep the numbers coming!

Surely bleeding off gas pressure to cycle the action has a "cost" ? I also imagine that a semi auto will not tolerate a similar max pressure to a bolt action ?

Surely bleeding off gas pressure to cycle the action has a "cost" ? I also imagine that a semi auto will not tolerate a similar max pressure to a bolt action ?

could be an issue for sure... I'd drop to 90-95 grain bullets if 3,000 fps is the magic # and let her buck... If you throw away the chrono and shoot, 2800 fps won't be that much different than 2900-2950 fps...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.