243 & 105gr A-max?

Jerry Myers

I have a 243 with a 1 in 10" twist and I want to shoot the 105gr A-max? Does anyone have any experience with this setup?

Thanks!
smile.gif

Not sure, but a 1 in 10 may not be fast enough to stabilize the 105. I shoot a 6 Rem AI with a 1 in 8 for the 105 to 107s. You could try and see what happens though. I would recommend you begin with I-4350.
db

I have had A LOT of experience with this pill and caliber! Actually, just got back from the range shooting a bunch of them. The rifle (my wifes) is a Weatherby Vanguard .243 and it LOVES the 105's (NOT the 1:8 twists though). I set it on top of 36gr Varget, seat out .001 from the lands, and it will get MOA accuracy at 100yds all day long. Took me a while to get my seating depth just right since the Weatherby has so much freebore, but once I hit the "magic COAL", groups tightened right up and they have proved to be VERY reliable and consistent. What type of rifle are you using? Sometimes, the 1:8's will work for a particular rifle, but in mine, they don't shoot very well. All in all, it's a fine bullet and very easy to load with. I would recommend it highly to you if you want to gain more in terminal ballistics. Good luck.

TH

I have a H&R Ultra Varmint that I will be using until I get a better long range setup. My intention is to target and varmint shoot out to about 600yds.

That's not too bad of a setup to start with. You may want to consider rechambering the bbl you have for a .243 AI chamber. I've done that with several of my .243's and had good luck every time. They have all been able to hold their own at 600yds without too much trouble. Another thought would be the 6/284. That would definitely get you out there. If you're shooting varmints, then, depending on your twist rate, you could probably find some good results in the smaller bullets as well. My first (and only) 6/284 was my doggin' rig for several seasons and it had a track record of 638 out of 804. Greater than 90% of these shots were over 250yds and many of them extended to as far as 700 or so yards. I think you could probably do a lot with what you have unless you really want to see what the 105 A-Max can really do to prairie dog! It's definitely a quick (if not sometimes messy!) kill, I do know that! Anyhow, that's a good bullet if you want to get out there. Do you know how many shots have been through the bbl? I have noticed that my .243's will eat bbl's alive if I shoot all my loads at or very near max.

TH

I had a 9 twist 788 in 6mm that shot them well, but a 10 twist 788 in 243 shot consistant triangle three shot groups at 100 but they were about 1"--that told me the bullet liked the gun, but the gun didnt like the bullet so 1" was the best it could do because of stability issues.

a better option would be a berer 95gn VLD--similar BC to the 105 but light enough for a 10 twist.

also 80gn ballistic tips work well

JB

I'll second jb1000br when it comes to the 80 grainer. I have had awesome luck with this bullet as well as the 85gr. Sierra GameKing. The SGK gave me about 1MOA accuracy and was the most consistent. Make sure you check the twist rate on the box of pills you pick up though. I picked up the 1:8 twist A-Max's one time and had terrible luck.

WVHILLBILLY,
Try the 87 v max for long range varmint hunting. the 9 twist will not stablize the 105 gr, It will a 95 VLD Berger.

Mark

Mark, that 87 gr. V-Max is the highest B.C. (.4) pure varmint bullet made. I've been awful curious just how far you could go out with it with good terminal ballistics on varmints (especially coyotes). I'm gonna be building a 24 cal. XP pistol/rifle combination of some sort soon for spot and stalk coyote hunting, but i don't know what bullet to use to get me out as far as possible. Shooting coyotes is not like any other varmint shooting, as the terminal ballistics part is so important since they can easily get away if not put down with authority. Any ideas??

[ 01-22-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

[ 01-22-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

8" twist is needed in the 243 when using the 105 gr bullet weights. "Real" good accuracy such as 100 yd groups of 1/4 to 1/2 MOA can be had very easily from most custom barrels.

Later
DC
smile.gif

I tried to find some 87gr V-Max but I could only found the 75gr V-Max so I tried them.
3-shot 100yd group was .663". This will improve when I get a much needed trigger job done on my rifle!
smile.gif
I will be trying the load at 300 & 500yds as soon as the weather permits.

Darryl: Have you tried the 105's in a 9 or 10 twist? I have found that I can play with the the velocity to overcome the spin issue (to some extent) when it comes to the 105's in my 10 twist. I have actually had AWESOME luck with that pill in my .243 Win (< .55 MOA), but my .243 Ackley and my .240 Weath. Mag don't seem to like it too much, all of which are in 10 twist bbls. Guess it just likes the harmonics of the bbl i'm shooting with!

TH

[ 01-25-2004: Message edited by: Austin ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.