Hornady 6mm. 105gr. A-Max Performance??

Howdy All . . .

Might any of you riflemen have any bullet performance experience or data shooting varmints, predators or big game with the 6mm. Hornady 105gr. A-Max???

Any bullet expansion?, breakup?, tumbling? -- OR does this bullet always just run on through, needle hole in -- needle hole out?? ??

Interesting stuff...much thanks ...

From the Big Empty,

Cas

I use the 105 exclusively in my 6mm Remington. It is explosive. The one doe I shot at 225 yards dropped straight down, no exit wound and lungs were completely destroyed. I couldn't find the bullet or any large pieces of it.

The prairie dogs - yes, the bullet exits and the wound is horrific...

I shoot them alot out of my 243 Ai and love them , they do expand very fast basicaly like a V-max. I have heard of some guys getting A-max bullets that were not consistant in shape , I haven't had this problem as of yet .
If I were gonna be shooting deer of any size I would choose the 107gr match King as it does hold together a little better , I shoot deer down here with the A-max but a big buck down here is 150 lbs
But for varmints they are great I use them if I may have to shoot over 400yds up to theat point I use the 75gr V-max as it offers a little more "splat" at the higher velocity

Western Rifleman,

I have shot the 105 A-Max quite a bit in my larger 6mm rounds and have been inpressed with it when used in the 3200 to 3300 fps range at max and anything under this.

They expand very well on varmint size game and predators even out to extreme range compared to the Sierra Mk 107 gr bullets. Still, living in Montana, I would not recommend them for use on deer size game simply because our mature whitetails and mule deer will often top 300 lbs on the hoof. TO be honest I do not endorse any 6mm for our area still they can be used to good effect if used properly.

I have found in my fast twist 3 groove Lilja barreled 6mm-284 that anything over 3250 fps caused these bullets to drop accuracy significantly whereas the 107 gr Mk could be driven to 3550 fps with fine accuracy.

We have had this discussion on this board and we believe it has something to do with the 3 groove rifling system as others on the board are driving the 105 gr A-Max to 3500 fps with fine accuracy in standard 6 groove barrels.

Again, for varmints up close or at extreme range, this is a great bullet. For pronghorn or deer in the 150 lb range, again they will work very well with chest shots. On large northern deer I would not use them.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks STL ... this is seeming to be a bit more versitile bullet than many have thought it seems.

Jeza, THANKS for the great page and pics on that link!! As to moly, I know many have opinions, and I'll weigh in a bit. I will not use moly bullets ... but to me, seems that after awhile, the moly just plain gets in your barrel and thats it for the duration of the barrel's life. I'd just prefer to keep a clean barrel (but not overdue it). I let the barrel tell ME when it needs cleaning.

Fiftydriver ... Kirby, great stuff! Yes, looks like there is more to this bullet and its capabilities than some folks realized.

The proof is always in the pudding.

Keep ur powder dry....always great to learn more.

Cas

Hey there Howdy
I have shot an Antelope with my 243 loaded with 105 gr amax with Retumbo powder he was at 1137 yards ! He went down hard ! As if I was only 100 yards away ! I practice a lot I have shot lots of different loads but this is by far the best unless you can get your hands on some Berger 115 grain bullets then your distance goes way farther I shot a Rock Chuck at 1304 yards he went down instantly ! So yes with lots of practice you can reach out there ! But in any long range shooting you need the tools:
Horus Vision Predator Scope , Gun with a 1in6 or 1in9 max Twist ratio Horus A-Trag one shot shooting software ! Leica 1600 CRF lazer Rangefinder ! It really depends on what your wanting to do? Hope this info helped !

Hey there Howdy
I have shot an Antelope with my 243 loaded with 105 gr amax with Retumbo powder he was at 1137 yards ! He went down hard ! As if I was only 100 yards away ! I practice a lot I have shot lots of different loads but this is by far the best unless you can get your hands on some Berger 115 grain bullets then your distance goes way farther I shot a Rock Chuck at 1304 yards he went down instantly ! So yes with lots of practice you can reach out there ! But in any long range shooting you need the tools:
Horus Vision Predator Scope , Gun with a 1in6 or 1in9 max Twist ratio Horus A-Trag one shot shooting software ! Leica 1600 CRF lazer Rangefinder ! It really depends on what your wanting to do? Hope this info helped !

It will help new people that join. The post was 8 years old.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.