6MM 105grn A-Max for varminting

SenderoMan, thanks for the info. I, look foward to hearing about the yotes.

I am still hoping to get some more info on the 105grn A-Max, regarding expansion.

Wildcat

Wildcat,
I've posted this a couple of times but the 105 A-Max went puff at 3270 in my 6-284 with 1-8 twist 5r Rock. I did get a few to go right at first in a PDog town and they blew them up good but I don't think it was much if any more than the 107 SMK and they don't expand on anything. A prarie dog isn't a great bullet test in my opinion. I've shot some 115 DTAC's and they were showing pressure at just shy of 3100 fps but they shot very well.
Lance

Buffalorancher, it sounds like the 105grn A-Max is safe at the 3200fps mark. I am sure the accuracy is better at the lower velocity levels anyway. I am just glad to hear they tear apart the little vermin like the V-Max.

Wildcat

In one of my 6mmRems, I run the 105'Max @ 3150FPS via 26" Hart. When I pushed them faster than that accuracy went to hell. I busted a couple of critters with it and the results were spectacular- very similar results to the 87'Max @ 3250FPS out of my other 6mmRem

I think its a fantastic bullet in 6AI, I use it for the same purpose, PD's. I have found that I get get very reliable expansion at all ranges I can shoot. Farthest kill with it is 700+ I have found it is pretty dramatic on large jackrabbits.

However, I dont get near the explosive splat factor as I do from smaller bullets going significantly faster at closer ranges..

I really like the bullet and its price for shooting in my 6AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.