Lapua 105grn Scenar

wildcat

Hey guys, as most of you know, I am building a new 6x284 heavy varmint rifle. I ve been doing some reserch on bullets. I've decide I want to use the Lapua 105grn Scenar. I've read some really good things about this bullet. However, I have not heard anyone on this board talk about them.

I know they are more expensive than the other 6mm Match bullets. However, from what I have read, they are top notch. There is a really good artical on 6mmBR.com. The article rates them as the best 6mm bullet they have tested compared to Sierras, Bergers, Hornady, ect. The Lapua 105grn Scenar has the highest BC (.530) out of all of them, except for the Berger 105, however, the Berger' BC is over stated. The article states the 105grn Scenar has a higher BC than advertised, based on range results.

I would like to know if anyone has used the 6mm 105grn Scenar with good results. I would like to get the best of both worlds with this rifle, accuracy and velocity. The good thing about the Lapua is it can be pushed at higher velocities. I would like to push it at around 3400fps, remember, I am not worried about barrel life. I know some say velocity is not what's imprtant, and I know that too. However, if I can get velocity and accuracy, watch out. I had really good luck with my 6.5x284 using the Lapua 139grn Scenar, so I am thinking I am going to have good results with the 105grn Scenar. However, I would like to hear what you guys have to say.

The rifle is going to be used for 1000 yard squirrel hunting. I know many of you have seen the specs on this project, however, here are the specs for those who would like to know. Also it might help with bullet suggestion;

1. 6x284 Match Chamber for Lapua Brass, .272 tight neck.
2. Nesika Model L, 1.700 Daimeter Action.
3. Krieger 30", 1.8.5 twist, 1.450 Straight Cylinder.
4. McMillan Tooley MBR, 5 Pounds lead added to rear.
5. Vias Muzzle Brake.
6. Jewel 2oz Trigger.
7. Davidson 20MOA Base
8. Kelby 30mm Rings
9. Nightforce 12x42x56mm NXS
10. Weight of rifle will be 32 pounds.

I am also looking at the 107grn Matchking because it can be pushed at the higher velocities like the 105grn Lapua. I went with the 6x284 because its ability to push the 6mm bullets faster than any of the other 6mm chamberings. I know my barrel life wont be great, but I am not worried about barrel life. Also, my varmint hunting is LOW Volume, and I clean while I am in the field.

Regarding the 107grn Matchking, I've heard really good things about this bullet too. From what I've read, the 107grn Matchking is most accurate when shot at around 3400fps. That is really impressive, the 107grn Matchking has a BC of .527. When you punch those numbers in the JBM Ballistics program, it spits out an awesome drop and windage chart. Very flat shooting and wind bucking bullet when using the 6x284. I would think the 105grn Scenar would have the same, if not better, drop and windage adjustment chart.

Anyhow, I am hoping some of you have used the Lapua 105grn Scenar. I really value everyone's opinion on this site, so I am looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say, good or bad. Furthermore, if the Lapua does not work in my rifle, then I will use the 107grn MK.

Here is a list of the reloading components I will be using;
1. Lapua Brass
2. Bullet-Lapua 105 or Sierra 107
3. Vhit N-160 or H4350 powder
4. Federal 210 Match Primer

Any suggestions regarding powder, primer, ect would be helpful too. The powders I've listed above, I used in my last 6x284 with good results. So, I am hoping to get the same results with them this time around too.

Wildcat

P.S. I will be receiving the Nesika Model L action tomorrow. I will post picks as soon as I can for those who are interested in seeing it. Also, sorry for posting the specs again. I know it bugs certain people, because I've posted them a time or a 100 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

wildcat,
The 105 scenars shoot very well but they have one huge problem, they do not expand at all. I have a gong that is 3/8" Hardox500 that has had 10's of thousands of bullets fired at it from 17gr 17hmr to 750gr 50bmg and they dont scratch or dent my gong at all. my gong has one hole in it from a Scenar and the most amazing thing is that it is exact bullet diameter. if you are going to shoot squirrels at 1000yds use the 107SMK's they at least expand a little bit. the SMK.s will shoot every bit as well as the Scenars but you have to measure them for bearing surface length and segregate, the Scenars you dont have to. but neither of the two has the B.C. of the Berger105 it is not over rated from the tests I have done but in a 6mm-284 needs a 5 or 6groove barrel.
as far as the powders you listed they work great for 70-80grain bullets but for the 105-107's N165 or RL22 are the powders of choice.
UB

[ QUOTE ]
as far as the powders you listed they work great for 70-80grain bullets but for the 105-107's N165 or RL22 are the powders of choice.
UB

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree... my 6mm really likes RE-22 with any bullet over 90 grains. ~JT

Wildcat,
I have a 6-284 built on the same specks as your going to build your rifle. The 105 Laupa bullets shoot great except they do not expand when shooting ground hogs. They just sceem to punch a hole in them and many time they run in their holes with blood trails and die. I have had the best luck with bullet expansion using the 105 burger and then the 107 sierra. All three bullets shoot excellent
groups.

Randy Dirks from action gun works built my rifle. I built mine on a 8 1/2 inch bat action and a 34 kreiger 1.450 1-8 twist. I shoot 52 grains of r22 and a 105 or 107 bullet at 3450 awsome varmit round. My rifle weighs 21 lbs and also has a vais muzzle break. I would not add the extra weigh because there is almost no recoil using the 21 Lb rifle.

I have watched the 338 AM shoot 300grain MK's at 3300 in a 32 pound rifle and it is recoiless. You won't even blink watching the bullet trail to impact in the 32x NF. A 6mm06, 240 Gibbs and the 240Wby exceed the 284 case. Why not design the reamer for the brass your using rather than fool around with the tight neck thing? This thing is going to take a lot of work to form brass for. Why not just build a 300 Ultra, 300Win, 300Wby, 300anymag. Plentifull good brass, lots of power, dozens of bullets with better coefficients than those 6mm bullets. Even at 200 grains you will get 3300-3400+ recoilessly in this rifle.

Every time I read the specs for this rifle I keep thinking Lamborgini with a scooter "putt putt" engine under the hood. With the money your spending and the time your willing to spend loading, for me it would be a 338AM.

UncleB, thanks for the great info. It sounds like the 107grn MK will be a better bullet for squirrel hunting. I will try the 105grn A-Max too, however, I will need to shoot it at around 3200fps. I heard that is about as fast as the 105grn A-max can be pushed before it will fall apart.

I will probably try the 87grn V-Max too, I heard it shoots pretty well out of a 1-8.5 twist. Anyhow, thank you very much for the powder info. I will use the Rel 22 and N-165 as suggested. I will use the H4350 if I use the smaller bullets. Once again UncleB, I value all of your info, thanks.

Wildcat

TH, my rifle will weigh right around 32 pounds. I know it's a little heavy for this round. However, it's going to be fun to shoot. I added the 5 pounds to the stock so the rifle would be balanced with the long heavy diameter barrel. Anyhow, it's going to be an awesome varmint rig, can't wait.

Wildcat

HG, I thought about going with a larger caliber. However, the 6x284 will be perfect for my needs. One of these days, I am going to have a 338AM built.

Wildcat

I forgot to mention, I received my Nesika Model L, 1.700 Diameter action today. WOW!!! what a nice action. It weighs right around 4.5 pounds, it's big. Now all I have to do is wait for the barrel and stock and this baby can start being built. I should receive both barrel and stock in July.

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
I have watched the 338 AM shoot 300grain MK's at 3300 in a 32 pound rifle and it is recoiless.

[/ QUOTE ]

might want to rethink that statement...a 98lb 6dasher is not recoilless...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.