139 Lapua Scenar

They are super accurate and a very uniformed bullet, however, for hunting I would not recommend them. I would recommend the 140grn A-Max.

Not to highjack the thread, but under what conditions would you recommend the 140 AMAX?

DWM, I used the 140 A-Max when I was hunting for Pdogs, Coyotes, Squirrels, and Pigs. It killed everything DRT, so I am pretty sure it would kill a Mule or White Tale deer with no problem. I shot them out of my 6.5x284 with a 30" barrel at 3100fps. They were deadly and expanded very well for a VLD type bullet. I shot a pig at 750 yards and it killed it instantly. Anyhow, I hope that answers your question.

The Lapua bullets were recommended to me for F-class matches and they do shoot really well.

I am a big fan of the Berger VLD bullets. I used a 115 VLD on a coues deer hunt last year and it got the job done.

I'm really not sure how much hunting I'll be doing with the rifle because it weighs close to 16 lbs. but it never hurts to have a good hunting load worked up just in case. I think I may try the 140 Berger VLD Moly. Does A-max have a good moly coat? I've heard some bullet makers do a better job with moly than others.

Thanks for the feed back.

Scott

Last edited:
I have used the 123gr Scenar out of my 6.5-284 on deer and it expands very little. Your shot placement has to been spot on.

Definately not a deer bullet
I shot one deer with them, ranged the deer at 781 yards was shooting the 139's at 3250 fps from my 6.5 Gibbs. the deer was hard quartering away laying down. I lined the verticle wire up with the offside shoulder and touched the trigger. heard the bullet hit home, the deer just rolled over.
The bullet impacted the front edge of the onside ham at 2200 fps, 1/4" of the hollowpoint broke off right there, was recovered just under the hide the jacket and core separated and traveled side by side through the deer, coming to rest under the hide at the top of the offside shoulder.
damage was very little, couple of fragments hit the lungs and got the job done, but why the deer didn't get up and run off is still a mystery.
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.