Hornady 6mm 110 atip terminal performance update

DJ Fergus

My son took a young whitetail buck yesterday evening with the 6mm 110 atip leaving the muzzle at 3370fps. Buck was around 140 yards out. Impact was directly on the crease behind the shoulder and exited the off shoulder with quarter sized exit. He only took one picture. I was eating at the Mexican restaurant whe he took it so my train of thought was focused on that instead of telling him to get more pictures 😂. He said that the buck jumped straight up, what looked like to be 4 feet in the air. Ran about 40 yards and dropped. When he gutted it he said that internals were tore up really bad. I know the bullet mushroomed by the time it passed through vitals and had enough retention to pass through the bulkiest portion of the off shoulder. My opinion is that the bullet performed well and met the expectations of my check list.

Attachments

• IMG_20220204_210225.jpg
    IMG_20220204_210225.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
Not that I know of maybe Cody. But I'm always thinking I like the idea of them that f they end up being good on game.
I'm more interested in I'd they perform at lower FPS at long range. That would be the only benefit.

Not that I know of maybe Cody. But I'm always thinking I like the idea of them that f they end up being good on game.
I'm more interested in I'd they perform at lower FPS at long range. That would be the only benefit.
Yeah, I tried most of the season for a longer shot and never had an opportunity. My son wanted one more deer for the freezer so I asked if he would use that rifle. Many moons ago I took several deer with a 243win and 95gr ballistic tips. I never got an exit with them. I was happy to know that the 110 atip would penetrate a shoulder. I would like to see what an across the ribcage shot would do. My son did say there was massive damage and in the chest cavity.