Hornady SST terminal performance

I've shot quite a few white tails with the 117 sst out of my 257 weatherby and get great performance from them! Most of them bang flops with holes on both sides of the deer!

I've used em on deer, hogs, coyotes and pretty much anything I can get in front of my 260. 140gr. Shot stuff from almost point blank out to 450 yds. MV is 2700 ish. I love the SST. Usually always exits, and leaves a nice hole. The critter always dies real fast. They usually don't take another step. But, I could see them having problems at high velocity. But for a lower velocity round, they seem to work just fine for me. 6.5mm entrance, quarter to half dollar sized exit.

I have shot hundreds and hundreds of the 130 sst's with my 270 wins at my home range and every single sst separates from its jacket when recovered from the soil backstop behind the target rack.They shoot well but I wouldn't feel comfortable using these bullets on elk or moose.They should be fine on smaller game imo

I've had similar experience with the 130 sst in 270 wsm at 3275 fps. Shot a 9pt east Texas whitetail at 30 yards quartering away enter between last ribs and stopped at off shoulder just under hide. Bullet had completely fragmented. They are accurate and good for whitetail as long you don't push it past 3000 or so

We have used SST's for the past 11 years. To date we have harvested 22 whitetails with SST's in 243, 7-08, 270wsm, 30-06 and 300wm. We have taken 7 Bulls with them, one required and second shot. I took one @ 407 yards with my 300wm, a quick 23 degree downward shot that went through the front ball joint, and we found it longed against the rear leg against the thigh bone. That was a 165 grain and weighed 87 grains recovered. The bull went 50 yards and piled. Speed as has been mentioned changes their performance, but keep them under 3000 fps at impact and they are fantastic, specially on whitetail.

No joy this weekend unfortunately, however I stretched the legs some on my 6.5 and busted a 1/2 by 1moa rock to pieces at 415 yards with the 129gr SST's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.